Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TOKABIGONE
    commented on 's reply
    lol Puglover1 Can't get much better drainage than that! I really should have known you were on top of it..

• Puglover1
    replied
    TOKABIGONE The pots sit on wire shelving, on top of crates with plastic bins (hospital wash basins) underneath. When I water I use a pot saucer that has 5 raised 'bumps' so the pots never sit in runoff water. I put perlite in the bottoms of the pots. Click image for larger version

Name:	Auto3Apr18.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	519647Click image for larger version

Name:	NewLight.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	519648 The black saucer is on the left here. The basins are all over my closet now, with water in them and fans blowing on them.

Leave a comment:

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    Bonjour, Monsieur comment allez-vous Farmbuck ? I look forward to growing photos again. I was going by Canuck's auto watering practices and advice regarding letting the pots get lightweight before watering. Last watering the 3 pots took a 1/2 gallon each. I just thought if the top soil wasn't soo dry that my RH might hold better. My AC is running from noon until 11 pm right now, non-stop. I lost all shade for my house in a 2010 derecho. Beautiful 25 yr old professional landscaped yard gone in seconds. Last year an IL hurricane/derecho hit the backyard pretty bad, ripped up my steel pergola's sliding cover so no shade from the south, still waiting on insurance and carpenter to get their stuff together on that one. It has taken so long I was able to save up the $1K deductible, so there's that.

• Puglover1
    replied
    Do you have Resurrection lilies there? Not my house but they're the tall, pink flowers. They come up briefly every summer, I have some bulbs on the ravine edge where I let ppl throw compostable yard debris.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ResLilies.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	519643 I saved these 3 two-year-old trees (neighbor's house in background, pre-fence) Thirty-seven years here, I'd never seen a drier summer, 2014.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Desert2014.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	519642Click image for larger version

Name:	Drought2014.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	519644

Leave a comment:

• TOKABIGONE
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Ladies, just a quick thought here about the wet bottom. Are your bags on some kind of riser so the bottom is not flat on the bottom of the saucer or drip pan. I like to put 3 or 4 hand fulls of pebble gravel under them to promote drainage. I put a little in the bottom of my grow bag too like some do with houseplants.

• Farmbuck
    replied
    Désolé j'ai pas la réponse à votre question mon amie but you know I'm photos not autos. Nope I do not cover my pots either plastic or fabric when I watered them. Usually I water my girls every second days with at least 500 ml per pot. Ouf enough saying cuz miss Kali is taking over my mental ability to write in a foreign language loll Just kidding !! But I like @ SoOrbudgal explanation.

Leave a comment:

• Puglover1
    commented on 's reply
    Hi budgal! They weren't really lightweight enough at 4 days, the bottoms were still heavy. Once I get any bottom runoff I quit watering, even if a tablespoon or so's worth of water. I did water the pots well with cal-mag a day before planting, per Mr.furley 's sage advice. I'm amazed at the amount of settling, makes training harder even with the top edges of the pots folded over. I will water now during daylight and finish laundry tonight. Thanks! Looks like y'all got a little break in the hot weather, it's very hot & humid here in IL but worse in Minneapolis and Canada. I wish for mini droughts to save $ with the lawnmowerman. Tap water is cheaper for outdoor plantings than paying for lawncare weekly. I grew some dang nice plum tomatoes in containers during a severe drought one summer, but my yard looked like it belonged in the Arizona desert.

• SoOrbudgal
    replied
    I water mine when lights are on. No i do not ever put anything over the top of a container to cover the soil indoors from drying out before the bottom is dry??? 4 days indoor tent is the longest i go for a watering. It doesn't always have to run off the bottom, sometimes i don't want it to. Next grow try filling up the pot then wetting it really well till runoff wait a day and plant a well root plant. This settles the soil in the container abit more, i do this with all my transplants MJ or veggies an flowers. This mostly i do with the photos but i do transplant autos from cont. cups occationally. Good luck Puglover1.

Leave a comment:

• Puglover1
    started a topic I have questions

I have questions

Autos in fabric pots: When the bottoms aren't dry but the top part is - does anyone cover the soil lightly with something, like maybe landscape fabric, to keep the top of the soil from being too dry before they're light enough to water? (fighting RH in this heat wave).

Watering time: It's 6 pm now, lights go out at 1 am: Put them to bed wet, or water now? I can't remember the consensus, sorry.

(If I'd known how much the soil medium would sink I'd have filled my pots higher, just an FYI for other new fabric pot users)

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X