The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly...

The final tally is in. This was my first grow with 3 Critical Mass photo plus one clone from same so 4 mature plants were harvested after about 19 weeks of veg and flower.

The first pic is one week before I chopped all 4 plants, last watering. During that week the yellow leaves dried completely, curled up crispy and brown. Little trimming left to do.
    The tin foil was a mistake. I did not have lids for my jar rings so RH fell to almost ambient​ 15 to 20% for about 2 weeks. Buds got crispy and so did Boveda pacs so not a good thing. Finally got lids, more Boveda and RH meters. In 18 hours the jar RH rose to 60% and the buds became soft and a bit more sticky. Now I know how to control RH during cure in jars. The tiniest hole will compromise your RH.

For a first grow my results were less than spectacular, barely mediocre in quantity and quality. (Bad) 135.43 gr or 4.92 oz. total jarred into cure weight. Last pic shows empty jar with Boveda pac and hygrometer which was my Tare weight. The trichomes were mostly cloudy with few amber when they just gave up and began to dry on the root. Never much frostiness and terpene levels are low with little stickiness when squeezing a bud. (Ugly) The smoke is mellow, little harshness, little high, somewhat cerebral but an excellent sleep aid. One bowl and I sleep thru the night. (Good) Not really what I expected from this strain so I have to attribute the poor results to my environment and care. So in retrospect I can point to several possible issues...under feeding in veg...somewhat under watered during late veg and thru late bloom. I really don't have anything in particular to point to as I thought I was following Nebula's program for grow in coco with 1/2 nutes schedule which may have not been enough for late veg and bloom so I chalk it up to inexperience and plan to be even more careful and observant than I thought I was from the beginning, reread the tutorials and try again. I have a lot of seeds of this from freebies so I will grow 1 of these going forward with other strains at the same time. All in All, not a loss as I learned a lot from this 5 month journey. Many of you contributed to what I will call a success and I do appreciate it very much. This is what it is all about..get help, give help in a way that benefits all. I have only just begun....Thank you!

image widget
    Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 06-04-2021, 03:43 PM.
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

TOKABIGONE did you mean to post some pics? You mention pics and I see the text ‘image widget’ but no pictures. Not sure if that is just me.

Comment

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope you are not alone.

LOL make mine a triple
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Well ding dang it! I have been having issues posting pics with the photo icon. I'll try again with the pics here. They just won't fit their captions in text. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210423_094302.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	518587Click image for larger version

Name:	20210504_133503.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	3.18 MB
ID:	518588Click image for larger version

Name:	20210508_103647.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	518589Click image for larger version

Name:	20210604_093320.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	518590

Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good!

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha Ha If an oz and a half of mediocre bud per plant is looking good....I have no where to go but up, lol!

DeadlyFruit , Farmbuck , SoOrbudgal , thanks for letting me know. Hope you can match these to their captions from first post. Sorry my posting issues.

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        TOKABIGONE Good question sir !! But answer me, why decarb it before making hashish ? I don't decarb mine. Maybe I'm missing something here. Well they claimed it does, I say it mellow the taste less harsh on your throat. As for potency well I did not really see much difference. All I can say after a few months the potency is still strong.

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Aha Farmbuck, I guess I have to do a bit more study before I try the dry ice hash. I thought I had read that decarb was necessary before sifting. Would you mind sharing a few words on your process for it? Or direct me to the recipe you use? Thanks, sir!

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Here ya go sir TOKABIGONE , no secret recipe to make hash lolll An old post how I make mine without decarb: https://forum.growweedeasy.com/forum...m-kief-to-hash

Hi TOKABIGONE,
      I wouldn't be too quick to claim defeat ol' fella. Successfully growing four plants out to maturity is no small matter, and your problem may have been more about genetics than technique anyway.

Here's a suggestion to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat: Maybe use a chunk of this harvest to explore making Tincture meds?

Invest an ounce or two of your new stash in a quick wash ethanol tincture and you may find satisfaction in a pain killer and very effective bedtime snooze med. After extraction, you can concentrate the tincture to produce a potency that suits your taste. I bet you'd also enjoy learning a bit about the extract process if you haven't tried it before. Not to Bash on Hash, but tinctures are easy and fun.

I just made a batch using some nice tasting but low potency bud from an earlier grow. After concentrating it down to about 20 mg/ml, I feel like I rescued some herb I'd prolly never get around to smoking. I recently posted the QWET recipe I use here:

Hi. Thanks in large to the info from this site and the folks of the forum, I am lucky enough to be in a surplus situation with my weed stock, hopefully forever. even keep my brother and a couple of friends supplied. got enough cannabutter frozen for any baking needs so last couple of grows I have done a dry sift of the sugar
      My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
      I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
      Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        grouchyoldman, thank you sir! My thoughts also run towards the genetics even though this is reputed to be a 20% THC, I don't feel it. I did small samples from about 4 weeks into flower thru harvest with the same results so I think maybe some weak freebie seeds??

I do like your idea about using half this batch for tincture and hashish.. The other half will stretch to next harvest if I just use for sleepy time. An oz for hash and an oz for tincture will be small yields but will be a good test of my abilities with those processes using some mediocre weed.

hi Tokabigone, quick question, did you hang your harvest in a cool dark place, or did you dry them on those cookie sheets? I've learned over the last few years, the importance of proper drying. when done correctly, the buds come out much denser and stickier. i purchased a portable room ac unit, and keep the room at 68 degrees, and 50% rh, and wow, what difference.
      keep up the good work, and enjoy!

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey johnb1963, Yeah there is no question that my drying was a disaster. AZ temps jumped into the high 90's at the time I cut them so my dark grow cabinet was way to warm and I was not prepared for it. I tried to keep the RH up but not enough for the bone dry 12% we have now. So I jarred them with Boveda pacs to bring it up but after a week the buds were too dry and the pacs were crispy. I replaced the pacs and finally got the RH in jars up to a constant 62% Next time I dry it will be in a carefully climate controlled room.

• MrPNW
        MrPNW commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m here in the Pacific NorthWet and even in my controlled room my buds dried out into the 40s after a week of drying. That surprised me. I put them in jars with 58% Boveda and they slowly rose to where they needed to be in about a week. They seem fine. I chose to go with 58% for my bulk jars and use 62% in my smaller jars for pot I’m currently using.

Good job on your first grow.

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey MrPNW , How are you? Having lived for 70 yrs in the Willamette Valley, I do appreciate the pun with Pacific NorthWet, lol !! I know Seattle gets a lot more. Yeah, I believe in the Boveda now in spite of the many negative Amazon reviews. I will be switching to 58% pacs in about a month for a more permanent cure and storage RH. I also tested the reconstituting of the dried crispy pacs. 24 hrs and squeeze them to break up the salts and use them...good as new! Store them in a glass jar closed very tight and they will be usable for a long time.

Some reading about hashish : https://dutch-passion.com/en/blog/ha...made-n799#kief
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Bud, Farmbuck, I think I have a direction now for this crop. I like your method of dry sift but I like the dry ice idea too so one way or another I will commit 2 oz (55g) to kief for a couple grams of hash just to try my hand at it. Then I can take the leftovers and do a quick wash with Everclear 190 and reduce it to some oil for candy. Wont get much of either probably but I'm ok with starting small. When I get something special I will know what to do with it that way, non?

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Like I said in some of my previous posts TOKABIGONE my method may not apply to all of us. Maybe one day I'll try my hand on dry ice method but it better be soon cuz I ain't getting any younger !!

grouchyoldman johnb1963 Farmbuck, thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions. I now have a clear idea of how to finish this grow out. An oz to tincture and an oz to hashish just to experiment with those processes to see what I like best. The rest should just stretch until next harvest if I just use as sleep meds. Thanks for the links to tutorials on those processes. Anyone hazard a guess on how long to cure before I try these? Also another big question - Can I add the used bud after dry ice sift to the other oz for tincture with alcohol? I would think there would still be cannabinoids left that could be extracted with the alcohol, right or no?

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Yessir, I agree with both of you. Since, as you say, the kief does not need to cure I can do the sift then jar the leftover bud to cure a few more weeks before I extract, right? That makes the most sense to me.

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        Oops, I’m thinking about the curing question a little more.... I’ve only tried bubble hash making once because it was so astringent tasting it was hard to use. I think I still have a little container of the stuff somewhere collecting dust. I suspect now that curing it first may have helped the flavour.

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Duh, I guess I'm a little high. Of course we cure before sifting.

TOKABIGONE asks a good question:

" Can I add the used bud after dry ice sift to the other oz for tincture with alcohol? I would think there would still be cannabinoids left that could be extracted with the alcohol, right or no?"
      That's a good question and the answer is that there is certainly some THC left after sieving, but the amount isn't clear. Is it worth putting the residue through a QWET extraction? I took an empirical look at that with the following results. (note, I'm using "THC" here to mean all cannaboids including CBD, CBN etc.)

The issue boils down to whether you should use your precious EverClear 190 alcohol to extract the residual from depleted weed. I am lucky to have an easy & fairly inexpensive source of 190 ethanol (EverClear) here in MA. Elsewhere it can be very expensive or unavailable. So, I don't bother attempting to reclaim the alcohol from my tincture, I just evaporate it away down to the concentration I want. Since I grew the weed for my consumption, one way or the other, my cost for a batch is few oz of EverClear.

The QWET extraction is pretty effective, about 75% of the THC in the bud is transferred to the alcohol. So a typical batch for me is about ten grams of herb and six ounces of EverClear. If the weed has 20% THC and I can extract 75% of that from my 10 grams (=10,000 miligrams), then I'll end up with about 1500 miligrams of THC. Here's the math:

10,000mg x .20(%) x .75(%) = 1500mg of extracted THC dissolved in my six ounces of EverClear. A typical dose might be 15mg of THC, so you've just made 100 "normal" doses of tincture. Cost is 10grams of my stash and about $5.00 worth of EverClear for 100 doses.

If you do the same calc on depleted weed with say 75% already extracted using dry ice, so your herb is down to 5% THC instead of 20%. Our same 10,000mg of depleted weed now only has 500mg left to give and QWET can only extract 75% of that, so we end up with 375mg, about 25 normal doses. Your cost is still about $5.00 worth of EverClear, for about 25 doses. Adding the depleted weed to fresh doesn't help because you'll need more alcohol to extract from the increased weed. 6 oz alcohol for 10 grams, 12 oz for 20 grams, etc.

In all fairness, many tincture aficionados reclaim the alcohol used in extraction, so, why not try to get the last trichomes?

That said, I doubt I'll ever try to salvage anything out of the soggy mess resulting from my bubble bag adventures , but that's just me.

I hope this is helpful and welcome any corrections or suggestions from more experienced Tinturados.

-Grouchy
      Last edited by grouchyoldman; 06-09-2021, 11:11 AM.
      My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
      I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
      Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey grouchyoldman, great comment, thanks. I will do dry sift so I won't have the soggy mess from bubble. I just can't bring myself to throw out an oz of nice dry cured bud even if there is only a small amount of cannabinoid left, I want it! $16 (Cheap in AZ) for a fifth of Everclear. 2 separate batches so 2 strengths of tincture to play with. Thanks for taking your time to do the math.
        Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 06-11-2021, 11:47 AM.

• grouchyoldman
        grouchyoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        toka, don't forget to Decarb the cured herb OR the sieve dust before you QWET. Tincture decarbs naturally but it takes a few months to reach full potency.

Bumped this old thread for an UPDATE: first grow is now cured in the jar for 13 weeks. It has definitely improved in both potency and smooth smoking. Seeds for my next go are in a glass of water for 24 hrs now so with luck 3 Auto Maui Sativa should be rooted by tomorrow or the next morning. I'm ready...ETS is wearing on me!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_153912.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	535549Click image for larger version

Name:	20210909_154050.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	535550
      Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 09-10-2021, 08:07 PM.

Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm autosure you will a wonderful autogrow sir..! This morning I had two autogirls tie down as part of the LST training. I'm a bit nervous cuz they are not as big as photos.

Good luck TOKABIGONE with your autogirls.

The results are in for my auto grow: 4" NL: 3.5g. Lemon: 12g. NL Chewy: 16g. Total of three plants: one ounce and one eighth. Two pint jars. TOKABIGONE Good luck, you have to beat this one.
      Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
      Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
      Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
      Various size fabric grow bags
      Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
      4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
      Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Farmbuck your Canadian math has be confused. Are you talking grams of kief or dry weed?

I'm amazed that 3 plants totaled just over 1 oz, that was after harvesting in sections to maximize yield. I'm laughing, not complaining, it just seems absurd to me.

• Puglover1
        Puglover1 commented
        Editing a comment
        TOKABIGONE I'm on my 3rd, two of the plants are growing fast. I was just down a video rabbit hole from youtube to IG to several accts to a blog that led me right back here. I need to go water and top one, look at the 2nd one, take a node count. Guess what the cat's favorite toy is? Plant Twisty Ties. I have two new reels, first grow he kept stealing pieces as I adjusted plants. Autos didn't need them, I find pieces in the basement, under the bed, all over the house. Double whammy for the closet.

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        Nannnn metric is not complicated.... It's always dry weed for me. I weighed my Hash after making it. Again still dry.

Toka! Toka! Toka! (Oh wait… wrong movie)
      Happy Pharming my friend!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X