No announcement yet.

OG Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's to hoping everyone had a happy and safe holiday; still has all appendages attached, didn't wake up with a hang over and still has as many friends and loved ones as you entered the weekend with.

If you've got a blue-grass itch, hope this helps soothe it with a smile

Have a Great Week!
    Last edited by BU2B; 07-05-2021, 02:30 PM.
    Get personal HELP from the OG Group Sign up for the GWE Newsletter and find out How to Get HELP with your plant(s) as Quickly as possible

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that song. I taught myself the banjo piece.

• BU2B
      BU2B commented
      Editing a comment
      I know this guy who inherited a banjo from a dead friend. It was in perfect condition and though it was quite old it looked like new and had been lovingly cared for over the years. When he first received it he happened to be downtown checking out shops. After several hours he remembered the banjo which he had left in the front seat in clear view of all who passed by. Rushing back to the car he arrived to find his worst fears had been realized - sure enough; someone had broken out the passenger window! - AND thrown in another banjo!
      Sorry DeadlyFruit - It’s the only banjo joke I know 🤣

• DeadlyFruit
      DeadlyFruit commented
      Editing a comment
      LoL! I have heard versions of that one. It is one of those love it or hate it instruments. Hard to ignore it when it is played. I like it for folk music and for Irish trad stuff. I am not very good but it is fun. I have about a dozen different instruments and I play most of them badly but with enthusiasm 🙂

Welcome to another week! Everyone has been busy around GWE the last week offering excellent advice, helping where they can and answering questions. Good On You!

Over the weekend I ended up spending quite a lot of time at Daryl's House -= THIS =- is one of my favorite topics

Have a great week everyone and thanks again for being you and doing what you do!
    Get personal HELP from the OG Group Sign up for the GWE Newsletter and find out How to Get HELP with your plant(s) as Quickly as possible

Comment

• RagWeedDWC
      RagWeedDWC commented
      Editing a comment
      Thought you were into photography (AD prior to music) for a second, but excellent sound track!

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      BU2B Ahh Daryl Hall !! Philadelphia blues music. I remembered driving from Ottawa to Massena with wife to get their Big Bam Boom CD because it was new back in the 80's and we couldn't get it here in my hometown. Saw him at a unplugged concert also in the 80's in Ottawa and I can say it was one of my best unplugged concert I ever saw and believe me I saw a lot of concerts in my time.

The next time we are in Rockport we will definitely do a detour to Pawling to eat at Daryl's House Club. Waiting to open the damn borders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64EFF44A-F35C-4643-AD30-46CB1DBF901C.jpeg
Views:	265
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	525469
    A TRIBUTE:
    I’ll readily admit I’m a Huge Rush fan - here’s a story my niece who works in the Canadian Film Industry and knows my affection and has rustled me up signed photo of the three wisemen from the great white north. She didn’t write this but she knew I’d enjoy it. I’m hoping you do too.

NOTE - Please make any comments as separate posts as this one is subject to deletion. I just think it’s a great story in its own right and deserves to be told.

Here’s to Mary!

Alex Maiolo

My pals know that I do occasionally jock for Rush. I don't listen to them as much anymore, but they were formative for me and I love their story of lifelong friendship.

Geddy Lee's mother has died just short of her 96th birthday.
    I'm not sure I've ever written anything about a musician's mom's passing, but her story is worth knowing.
    In fact, it's amazing.
    Manya Rubenstein was Jewish, born in Poland. When it was occupied by the Germans, she was sent from the ghetto to a labor camp. Eventually she was moved to Auschwitz. As you probably know, there was no single "Auschwitz," it was more like a complex, but the numbers show that about 85% of the people who entered it were murdered, some instantly upon arrival. Only the fittest people were allowed to live and no day was guaranteed.
    She met Morris Weinrib, they fell in love, but she was eventually transferred to Bergen-Belsen, a labor camp where some women were relocated near the end of the war. That she even made it that far is an absolute miracle. Disease outbreaks and starvation were nearly impossible to survive there.
    On April 15, 1945, which was about three weeks before Germany's surrender, the British 11th Armoured Division liberated the camp. Many prisoners continued to die as it was impossible to nurse them back to health.
    Morris had also miraculously survived the war after being moved to Dachau. After he was liberated, he searched and found Manya in a displaced persons camp. They married on the spot, in the camp, and then left Europe for Canada in 1946. She started answering to "Mary."
    They had three kids, one named Gary Lee Weinrib.
    She still had her strong Polish accent, so she pronounced it "Geddy."
    Morris died young, in 1965, so Mary opened a shop to make ends meet. Geddy started playing music and, plagued with guilt that this was kind of a folly, considering what his parents had been through as teens and young adults, having spent seven years in hell, decided he'd better be really, really good at it so as not to let his mom down. When the first Rush album came out, she excitedly hung posters in the store, and gave copies away to kids who wanted them, but were broke.
    I've known, and known of, some superb rock moms in my life. I'd heard Mitch Easter's parents were legendary before I'd ever met him. If you've seen the Slint (official) documentary, you know Britt Walford's parents come across as the most supportive people ever to live above a basement den of post rock noise. I always love seeing pictures of Steve Wynn and his exceptionally cool mom.
    I love rock moms so much.
    Every story I've ever heard about Mary Weinrib almost makes me tear up with joy. She was a fixture at shows. She absolutely loved her son. She's was always super in any documentary about RUSH.
    She died on July 2nd.
    I felt like you should know her story because it's remarkable and she's earned a place in your thoughts, if even for a second.
    Safe travels, Mary. The odds were you weren't going to make it out of your teens and you nearly hit 96.
    Your son is unusually talented, humble, cool, and clearly he thought you hung the moon.

Comment

• Dannyboy58
      Dannyboy58 commented
      Editing a comment
      My play list was very heavy with Rush when I was younger. Don't listen to them so much anymore. I read Neil's book Ghost Rider recently. Very engaging read especially if you're into motorcycling. Sad loss.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't mean Rush Limbaugh, do you????? Yikes, that's scarey.

• BU2B
      BU2B commented
      Editing a comment
      alltatup Neil would have love the irony there Neil Peart the Drummer/Percussionist & Lyricist for the band RUSH died far too early of brain cancer. He is affectionately known as The Professor by his admirers for his prowess with stick and pen.

Hey, hey, hey it’s Sunday and the start of another week.

Before I get started with my short list for your consideration I would like to say, THANKS! Thanks to all of you for your kindness, knowledge, patience and experience. We've only been active a short time, and though it is something each of you has done extremely well for quite some time; I'd like to officially acknowledge each of you for your helpfulness and eagerness to help others as much as possible. The world could do with a lot more like you. My heartfelt thanks and appreciation goes out to each and every OG Group member.

Okay... now on with the list. As I mentioned earlier the OG Group has only been Official for just a little over a month - Here are a few of my questions regarding the OG Group and it's direction. I would very much appreciate hearing from each of you if you have any thoughts or questions of your own.

1. Are we doing enough to help newbies or just hoping their flailing around on the shore will eventually pop them into 'our' pond?
    2. Should we or some of us add taglines to our signature that point to the OG Group? (I've done this as of today)
    3. Should we also have a sister forum for community input? or maybe the tag line thing is enough?
    4. What and how can we do what we do more efficiently or is what we're doing good enough?
    5. How can we encourage other OLD GROWERS to either join up or how can we help them help others better?
    6. Over-all I am super happy with everyone! You are all great people in your own right, and together, like the cannabis movement, we're an unstoppable force. I wish the laws were different I'd send you all a big fat doobie - overnight!

Let me know your thoughts folks - AND Have a GREAT WEEK!

"The real-estate in my mind is for sale it's all been subdivided,
    Divided into reasons why my two opposing thoughts at once are fine"

Jack Johnson
    Last edited by BU2B; 07-18-2021, 01:15 PM.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      Good ideas!! I just added it to my signature.

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm old by age, I never signed up but because I'm awake until dawn I try to at least acknowledge someone's request for help and offer what I can, in hopes that an OG will see it BUT I see several folks post in the Sticky, often their post doesn't get seen in a timely manner. I don't tag anyone, often RWise will see it and follow up. I'm in my first auto experience, sometimes I wish more OGs would give me their two cents. I'm about done with 2 of the 3 plants now, in more ways than one. Photo seeds are in starters, one popped overnight. Honestly? Sometimes I think newbies could use more input than they get, just my opinion. I see incorrect info suggested but I'm not going to question an OG's advice, yet. Thanks for all you do BU2B !
      Last edited by Puglover1; 07-18-2021, 11:49 PM. Reason: I wasn't done

For those who would like to add a tag line to their signature but find file linking or url linking a bit above and beyond. Provided below is an example that you can copy and paste into your Signature in User Settings. Reference: From the Login Menu select User Settings/ From User Settings Click the Account tab along the top/ From your account settings scroll down to Visible Post Elements and click on Edit Post Signature... Don't forget to save your changes at the bottom of the page before leaving User Settings. Just copy and past the part(s) you would like to add to your signature by highlighting the text below and pressing ctrl+c to copy and ctrl+v to paste/view or command+c and command+v if on a Mac:

Get personal HELP from the OG Group Sign up for the GWE Newsletter

Click image for larger version  Name:	HomeGrown.gif Views:	0 Size:	21.3 KB ID:	525822
    Has someone been smoking up in here? OR you could just do the same from my Signature - lol
    Last edited by BU2B; 07-18-2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

IMPORTANT RECENT NEWS:
      What is phytol and is it safe to vape?

IF you vape cannabis oil purchased from a dispensary or make your own - you should be aware of this additive (a terpene)

IF you use commercial cannabis vape products (especially Canadian but generally any/all commercial vape products) you should take the time to educate yourself about phytol what it is, how it is currently being used and the very real health risks of vaporizing this additive terpene.

"A study released in late 2020 says that phytol, an ingredient used in some cannabis vape pen formulations, causes severe pulmonary injury and even death after inhalation dosing in rats. A new, in-depth report released by Leafly has highlighted the 2020 safety study of phytol, commissioned by Canopy Growth."

Here is an article from LEAFLY regarding Phytol; what it is, and how it is used. WHAT IS PHYTOL?

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
        DeadlyFruit commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting post. I don’t use vape liquids/carts but I have been know to use concentrates (resin/rosin/wax) on rare occasion. Is phytol added to things other than vape liquids? I’ll watch for it in the future.

• Dannyboy58
        Dannyboy58 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great info. Thanks for sharing it!

Welcome to another Wonderful Week in the Wacky World of Weed. 7.24.21
      Here's hoping everyone had a great week! There are actually a few more hour's until Sunday and the start of the week, but I'm calling it.
      This weeks musical guests (in order of appearance) are Ziggy Marley (on the rocks) and Bruce Springsteen & Tom Morello (celebrating the Grapes of Wrath with the Ghost of Tom Joad at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame)

I hope everyone has a great week. Keep up the great work folks! OMG here comes August!

Comment

What IS the purpose of the OG Group?

GWE member Tersky asks:

"Not trying to be a downer, but why does age matter? Is this a group for experienced growers or old growers? Are you implying that a 60 year old 3 days into their first grow ever is better at giving advice than a 27 year old with 3 and a half years experience? It just seems odd to have the over 50 or 5 years exp. Not trying to hate just confused as to the purpose of this group."

Here ya go folks - the floor is yours - OG Group member or not my personal belief is that opinions are good things (like a$$ holes, everyone's got one that serves a purpose). However, unlike a$$ holes opinions are best brought into the cold light of day and thoroughly examined from all sides.

It was my hope that the OG Groups 5 guidelines (which I will repeat here would have answered What the Purpose of the OG Group is - but; that doesn't appear to be the case.
        1. Please be kind to each other and do your best to put yourself in the other persons shoes.
        2. Please don't talk down others in public - Keep squabbles and personal differences private. See OG Group forum guidelines #5 below
        3. This is NOT a substitute for other forums or topics - just an additional resource.
        4. Please tell us enough about your growing method and experience that people can find you easily in this forum. See Posting Guideline Suggestions
        5. NOTE: this forum is NOT for posting questions or getting answers about growing directly in the forum, but instead will give you a list of GWE users who are willing to answer your question(s) personally - if they can OR direct you to a forum or other user whose posts might be more helpful.
        Comments & Opinions welcome

Were here to help if we can... pure and simple. If you've got 5 years of growing experience YOU ARE AN OLD GROWER (like it or not) Keep Growing Folks! as the wheel turns the love wouldn't die!
        Last edited by BU2B; 07-25-2021, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• Dannyboy58
          Dannyboy58 commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the purpose of the group is stated in the OP of the thread. I agree that if you have experience and can help there's no reason you shouldn't and certainly the opportunity is there whenever questions are posted regardless of whether you belong to the OG group or any other designated group recognized, or not, by the forum. I also agree that age is irrelevant and some people learn things faster than others. Either way if I feel someone is a good resource I'll ask them for help until they tell me to cease and desist...haha...it's all good...

A - Tersky brings up a good point
        B - For me personally, age is NOT a factor in whether you can grow or not, but combined with growing skill the combination is unbeatable by any standards.
        C - All we're saying is don't overlook the valuable resource that OLD growers offer; whether that is old by age or old by growing experience.
        D - NOT being vocal or outspoken is not the same as being of no value. Many of us regardless of age are of the opinion that there is some truth to the saying; "Better to keep one's mouth closed and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."
        E - I personally am done with this topic. I'm not here to bicker, or prove myself right, or be responsible for everyone over the age of 50. I, and those who have gracefully allotted their time, skill, experience and energy into helping others if we can - don't really need a reason to help and just do it because it's the right thing to do.
        F - The OG Group is really just a covert front for individuals who have come to know and respect cannabis for what it is and want to help others grow the best, most potent, stress free buds possible. Some of us are OLD but popping into the oldfolks home and asking want to play a round of 'why don't you just die already' (game title) is maybe, just a wee bit rude
        "Whichever path you follow, push on till tomorrow, Love All, Serve All and Create No Sorrow"
        PEACE
        Last edited by BU2B; 07-26-2021, 04:30 AM.

Comment

A little extra to get through the weekend:
          (courtesy of WookieFoot)

Activate!

Activist, pacifist, catalyst to wag a fist
          Blow up your peace signs show me how you manifest
          We all know those suffering from apathy are locked in a box
          So show 'em that they have the key
          Action reaction no satisfaction
          Wheels keep spinnin but they get no traction
          Buddha and Shiva and the elephant with six arms
          All love Jesus so put away your fire arms
          Oh now people come together
          Let's go down to the gate-less gate
          Slow down, floating like a feather
          Come on superhero it's time to activate
          There's cable and satellite and many types of kryptonite
          Like moths around the firelight
          Pull the plug and save your life
          So stand up get up jump up and rise
          Everybody look at everybody right in the eyes
          Sit in the lotus maintain focus
          Self disappearin like (whh!) hocus pocus
          Swimmin in the deep end and leapin off the high dive
          Call out to all bliss junkies now's the time
          Last edited by BU2B; 08-02-2021, 03:56 AM.

Comment

• alltatup
            alltatup commented
            Editing a comment
            Beautiful. Now's the time.

7.30.21 or 30.7.21 depending on your location
          Keeping us current.
          Thanks to everyone for all you do. You’re the best!
          crumb nostalgia - came across this poster, had to smile as it made me think of my aunt who recently died and who got me this poster for my 18th birthday…
          Click image for larger version  Name:	4BF6BFDC-B60C-4FB1-9E94-FD14413D3207.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	554.7 KB ID:	528402

I will be off for a few days which means I’ll miss my regular Sunday start of the week post so I’m posting this in its place. Keep on keeping on!

Have a great week!

“people gonna break down, we are bound to build up
          Callin’ on a new sound
          Last edited by BU2B; 07-31-2021, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• Ckbrew
            Ckbrew commented
            Editing a comment
            I remember that poster. I had one back in the day in the dorm room.

• DeadlyFruit
            DeadlyFruit commented
            Editing a comment
            There was a poster someone had in university residence that always made me laugh. Do you remember the ‘here is your brain… here is your brain on drugs’ PSA ads with an egg in the first panel and a cracked egg in a frying pan in the second? The poster added a third panel that was ‘here is your brain on drugs with a side of bacon’. 🙂

• UndergroundFarmer
            UndergroundFarmer commented
            Editing a comment
            I saw no fewer than a dozen of those in college!

Cannabis, it's everywhere! and about time!
          It's 2021 and Cannabis is finally gaining the social acceptance it deserves. Need proof? Here's a snapshot of an upcoming MMO game - I won't mention the title but I will say the photo is courtesy of Amazon Game Studios
          Click image for larger version  Name:	NewWorldCannabis.JPG Views:	0 Size:	73.1 KB ID:	529532

Last edited by BU2B; 08-06-2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Fridays NORML News:

House Marijuana Vote Delayed As The Senate Advances Veterans Access Amendment Details
            08/05/21 1:58pm UTC
            2022 Marijuana Reform Ballot Initiative Efforts Underway Nationwide Details
            08/04/21 4:02pm UTC
            Puerto Rico: Law Signed Protecting Medical Cannabis Patients from Employment ... Details
            08/03/21 3:52pm UTC
            Louisiana: Marijuana Decriminalization Law Takes Effect Details
            08/01/21 4:55am UTC

Comment

Featured Saturday Song:

We In a Different Room - Trevor Hall
              Last edited by BU2B; 08-07-2021, 08:33 PM.

Comment

Keeping us current - 8th of August, 2021

I hope everyone had a good week. Summer is in full bloom with a few signs here and there that sister Autumn is waiting in the wings for her chance on the stage. Thanks again to everyone for all you do. The influx of new growers with old questions is remaining pretty constant (which is good for cannabis cultivation) and is keeping everyone busy trying to steer the minnows into safer water in an effort to and try to insure their survival. Great job folks! As always.

I've decided to add a Friday's NORML news section to the forum - As I get their newsletter and have worked with and for the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Law since I was much younger, I thought it would be a good idea to share the LATEST NEWS section of their newsletter with everyone. I hope you find the info useful.

Saturday Song Section -
                PLEASE send me PM's with some of YOUR current faves and we'll share them with the world

Here are a few words from Henry John Deutschendorf Jr. (better known as John Denver) to help get your week started:
                Poems, Prayers and Promises
                John Denver

I've been lately thinking about my life's time
                All the things I've done and how it's been
                And I can't help believin' in my own mind
                I know I'm gonna hate to see it end
                I've seen a lot of sunshine, slept out in the rain
                Spent a night or two all on my own
                I've known my lady's pleasures
                Had myself some friends
                And spent a time or two in my own home

I have to say it now it's been a good life all in all
                It's really fine to have a chance to hang around
                And lie there by the fire and watch the evenin' tire
                While all friends and my old lady
                Sit and pass a pipe around
                And talk of poems and prayers and promises
                And things that we believe in
                How sweet it is to love someone
                How right it is to care
                How long it's been since yesterday
                What about tomorrow
                What about our dreams

And all the memories we share

The days they pass so quickly now
                The nights are seldom long
                And time around me whispers when it's cold
                The changes somehow frighten me, still I have to smile
                It turns me on to think of growin' old
                For though the life's been good to me
                There's still so much to do
                So many things my mind has never known

I'd like to raise a family, I'd like to sail away
                And dance across the mountains on the moon

And I have to say it now it's been a good life all in all
                It's really fine to have a chance to hang around
                And lie there by the fire and watch the evenin' tire
                Along with friends and my old lady
                Sit and pass a pipe around
                And talk of poems and prayers and promises
                And things that we believe in
                How sweet it is to love someone
                How right it is to care
                How long it's been since yesterday
                What about tomorrow
                What about our dreams
                And all the memories we share
                Jago Ma!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X