Lowering pH with orange juice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lowering pH with orange juice?

Nebula suggests using lemon juice in your water to lower pH when doing organic grows. The grocery store didn’t have any organic lemons. The only organic citrus fruit they had was organic oranges. Can I squeeze some fresh organic orange juice into my water to lower its pH? Is this a good or bad idea?

Only speaking from logic rather than any true knowledge but you would have to think it would be fine. It would be additional organic material for organic soil, it is a lot of sugar so not that much different than adding molasses, might even add a few different trace elements. The only downside I can think of is that you would probably need a fair bit as it wouldn’t be as low pH as lemon juice. Best in live soil, Less desirable in coco and not at all desirable in DWC.

Comment

• Rik
      Rik commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate those thoughts, DeadlyFruit. I’m a little afraid of the excess sugar. Might go back to lemon juice after all, just afraid of it not being organic. I’m using living soil so I’m trying to stay 100% organic if possible.

What is the difference between an organic lemon and a lemon?
    Can both be grown on the same tree?
    I will suggest doing some testing, PH the water and let it set for 12-24 hours and retest it. Does it stay the same PH, or does it drift?

Comment

• Rik
      Rik commented
      Editing a comment
      Rwise I just figured that I should stick with all organic in case there were any pesticides in the lemon that might harm my living soil.

Pure lemon juice is is sold in most stores, in the United States. I always have some on hand, as it's more forgiving than my General Hydroponics PH down. I use it exclusively in the last few weeks of flower. Orange juice ahould be fine though.
    A Legend...in his own mind - , 48" X 60" X 80" 2-in-1 Grow Tent, Flower light: Vivaspectra P2500 LED. Veg light: Mars Hydro TS600 & Mars Hydro TS1000 LED lights. Nutrients: GH Flora Trio/Calmag coco/perlite, GH PH Down or pure lemon juice, in case PH down isn't available.

Comment

• BR2K
      BR2K commented
      Editing a comment
      Rik I haven't noticed. I'm still relatively new to growing as I'm on my sixth. I take a rather relaxed approach. I've never measured my PH, post watering. Basically, I just look for not green and not orange/pink when I test my PH prior to watering. It's worked pretty well so far. You don't mention what your growing medium is.

• Rik
      Rik commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m growing in Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Nature’s Living Soil. I eventually found some organic lemons at a more health-minded grocery store so I just went with that. I just measured my runoff and it looks like the lemon juice did the trick perfectly.

• BR2K
      BR2K commented
      Editing a comment
      Rik Right on!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X