Breeding for seeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breeding for seeds

When is it “to late” to cross breed your plants for seeds?

I usually pollinate when my girls are in the third to fourth week of flower, anything beyond that might not work.

Comment

Earlier is better! I agree with Ace1973.
      If you bend you will be less likely to break.

Comment

Remember it takes 4-6 weeks for seed to mature.

Comment

I've only done open (and a bit of accidental!) pollination where the males and females grow together in the same tent until I don't need the male plants anymore. (Project Psychonaut and Project Sam if you're interested.) Then I save the male flowers for their pollen to use for crosses later. Ideally, if you want lots of seed, apply pollen as soon as you have lots of pretty while stigmas at all the bud sites. You'll get a much bigger percentage of mature seeds for your efforts. Just be sure to let the buds mature before chop like you would with sinsemilla. I goofed a bit with Project Psychonaut and chopped when the sativa-dominant buds were dropping seed all over the floor. The more indica-dominant ones weren't as ready and too many ended up fit only for birds or hippies to eat.

One of my current grows, Project Murcott is partly for an F1 cross of Kosher Kush x Crockett's Tangie aka 24kt Gold. I'm doing it that way because I couldn't get KK regular seed but I could get feminized. I decided I absolutely did not need to wait to make that cross in a later grow since I only needed to pop one KK seed to get a female.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Thanks everyone

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X