Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vent to room or outside?

Hello all!

I’m in the process of moving to a hot and humid area (coming from a cold and dry area) so I have been designing my new grow setup. I will basically have a tent in a closet and using the HLG 300 guide. On the intake, I will have a port in the wall to draw in air from the bedroom which has a split AC unit to manage temps and humidity.

On the exhaust side, my original thought was just to have a second port that feeds the air back in to the room. It dawned on me that the area has an external wall and I can have the option to exhaust outdoors. So I’m torn on which way will be best for heat and humidity. My worries being that the heat and humidity outside will somehow be able to come back through the exhaust.

So would it be better to exhaust the tent back in to the bedroom or have an exhaust go outside?

any pros and cons would be appreciated.

I have my tent in the unfinished part of my basement, and it exhausts into the finished part, so it’s kind of the same room, kind of a separate adjacent room. I designed the option to feed the exhaust outside, but never ended up doing it because I was worried what that would do to my air conditioning and furnace usage. I live in the Midwest where we have fairly extreme temperature swings, near zero in the winter and over 100 in the summer. Depending on the size of the room, you may be best to invest in a good humidifier, a good dehumidifier, and make sure that the room has vents from your central a/c and heating, if that’s possible.

Comment

Definitely vent it outside get rid of that heat completely. Otherwise you are simultaneously heating and cooling the same general area.

Comment

As someone who grows in the dirty l, humid AF southeastern US, outside. Otherwise you’re just recirculating the same humid air.

One thing to consider when venting outside. Cold nights there will be a fog coming from your house so if you have nosey f’ng neighbors be aware. Also, when you hit full bloom, there will be a odor outside your house. It won’t dissipate for about 50ft from your exhaust. Buying a brand new filter every grow may eliminate this but just know, I haven’t found a filter yet that stays completely scent free after a good flower

Comment

Thank you all for your input. I am leaning to vent it outside and just looking for a vent with a damper to make sure the flow of air only goes in one direction.

Comment

Use a clothes dryer damper.
            2X4X6 Quictent
            1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
            600w LED (80)
            1000w LED (180)
            2 X Viparspectra P-1000
            2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
            6" battery/usb fans
            Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
            GH trio with Calimagic
            Lung room humidifier
            3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
            ArmorSi, kelp when needed
            Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
            Northern Lights auto
            (Seedsman)
            auto 00 Kush
            (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
            2x Northern lights auto
            1 auto 00 Kush
            1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
            Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Catfish22 View Post
              Use a clothes dryer damper.
              That’s exactly what I bought today in preparation of the new setup! Ty!

Comment

• Catfish22
                Catfish22 commented
                Editing a comment
                Great minds sir, great minds!

A important thing to think of IMO is to make it look like it belongs there. Im still in a illegal state but way back when I built my grow room they were all illegal. While finishing our basement I vented our basement bathroom right past my grow room then tied the exhaust in and ran them out beside the dryer vent.

The hard part will be cutting a 6” hole in your wall. Get a good multipurpose blade, don’t go cheap. And use a electric drill if you have access to one. A powerful cordless will work but you’ll burn it up if you aren’t careful. if you’re cutting through vinyl siding go in reverse to cut through the siding and it’ll leave a perfect, clean cut. Go forward and it’ll tear and get jagged.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X