Meanwhile, Back @ Casa Bacca Racca -- A Continuous Grow Journal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meanwhile, Back @ Casa Bacca Racca -- A Continuous Grow Journal

This is where my grow room is at the moment. Over the next week, I'm planning on getting into the Way-Back machine and setting it to 4-17-2021, when I dropped the current Do-Si-Dos sprout, and let you in on all the fun and drama in the Casa Bacca Racca grow room. But as we join our young friends, we have ...

Blue Dream from Seedsman is nearly in the fourth week of 12/12. I have 18 colas going in this 2x2 cabinet. Apical meristem training has helped keep the canopy fairly level. I'm approximately 9 inches from the VS 450 lights. This plant can take the light and is very hungry for nitrogen.

Click image for larger version

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 1.jpeg
Views:	306
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	514773Click image for larger version

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 2.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	445.5 KB
ID:	514778

Next up. Is the GG#4, again from Seedsman. I got high one night and decided 10 laterals would be the thing on this grow. Then I had to figure out how to tie them all down. I came up with some custom stakes. She's fairly even in the canopy, and has grown and inch a day over the last 3. I counted 23 bud sites clear the top of the perennial cage. The 18" round cage matches the 18" diameter of the 10-gallon pot. This makes it easy to spin and trim the plant in a tight space. She doesn't need the light or the nitrogen the Blue Dream does. Very thick & bushy plant.

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 3.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	500.8 KB
ID:	514777Click image for larger version

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 4.jpeg
Views:	228
Size:	340.9 KB
ID:	514774Click image for larger version

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 5.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	514775

Once I got the Blue Dream all set up and growing even I took some cuttings and set them in my Octo-Cloner. Instead of growing one plant in a 10-gallon pot, I'll experiment with four plants in four 2.6-gallon pots. Two of the stronger clones will have 6 colas, while the other two will have four. I want to see how they do with different foliage densities. I'll need to wait until I harvest the Blue Dream in 5-6 weeks for flipping to 12/12. Until then, grow my little beauties, but not too much.

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 6.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	640.2 KB
ID:	514776

Oh, and at the same time I took some GG#4 cuttings, cloned them and set them into my seed & breed chamber. The one in the front, right is getting 2x daily sprays of colloidal silver. They've been in 12/12 for two weeks now -- in the blurple cage of plant sex. Tawdry, tawdry tale of inbreeding.

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 7.jpeg
Views:	238
Size:	419.8 KB
ID:	514779

And now we visit the nursery. The two babes in back are Blue Dream clones set aside for seed production. I'll keep them in here until I get some decent pollen from the GG#4.

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 8.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	514780

The little one is a Do-Si-Dos from Pyramid seeds. She was planted a bit over three weeks ago and looking good.

Name:	05-13-2021 Continuous Grow  - 9.jpeg
Views:	225
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	514781

For my Michigan plant limit, I have one more plant -- with roots -- I can grow. So first one of the GG#4 that shows a good root system is next in line for vegging out and flowering.

I'll get back with the prequel soon.

BR

2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
    2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
    2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
    2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Good looking setup! I like how those rings turned out. That plant has great shape

Comment

• BaccaRacca
      BaccaRacca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you bboyfromwayback. Your tutorial has been an inspiration.

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow man thanks! I give credit to a picture in High Times and growing in a closet at one point with little overhead. Gotta get creative

Way to get that grow on there BaccaRacca your my hero LOL. Those look fantastic fella. I'm gifting many of my early spring clones i took from GG#4 like you i took alot. But we want to do some camping around for abit of time so i need to close down my tents after my autos and my outdoor photos get done vegging an waiting for right time outdoors an big enough to move into greenhouse, then outdoor under Mother Sun. You are blowing me away with the great varity, i do love having a different strain to choose from at home My flowering GG are ready by 31st of May yippeee
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• BaccaRacca
      BaccaRacca commented
      Editing a comment
      You're my hero, too, SoOrbudgal, maybe when the Missus and I do our great American road trip we'll drop on in. The clone thing has become a quirk. I had to giggle a bit at the thought of you giving yours away the other day. I never saw the sense of cloning until I got my cloner, now it seems like I clone any little tip as long as I have the soup mixed -- even though I don't need them. I think I need more friends locally. As for variety, oncologist says 32-56 more months, gotta taste life while I can!

I just love your set-up !! I'll be following you for sure.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• BaccaRacca
      BaccaRacca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, Farmbuck. I have a writeup on it somewhere, I'll go dig into my posting archives. A series of dumb-luck decisions ended up making it work well, starting with the basic design is based on quartering an 4' x 8' into the three walls and door that form the structure of the box. Reason? Those boards could fit into my car and I saved a delivery fee. Then it was dumb luck that the inside dimensions would hold two standard nursery trays, and four 2.6-gallon pots, or one 10-gallon pot. They're fairly easy to build.

Always looking forward to your latest photos. Thank you for following.

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      So BaccaRacca 80% perlite you are ok with it ? I'm curious my grower friend.

• BaccaRacca
      BaccaRacca commented
      Editing a comment
      Farmbuck most important is that the plants are OK with it. Perlite does an excellent job of holding fertilizer and water solution. Basically, it's a hydroponics system with a substrate. The Canadian peat moss is simply there to buffer my tap water, which hovers around a ph of 8.0. I can go two days without watering the 10-gallon pot and more than a day with the 2.6 pots. I prefer to water daily. My last grow with the Amnesia Trance, I suspect I had too much peat moss -- around or over 25% and had some burn issues if I didn't water twice a day. As I've moved around I found that I had to vary my concentrations of Canadian pea moss based on the relative ph of the tap water. Thank you for your interest.

Good stuff...I love seeing what overs are doing in here. Interesting that you are using mostly perlite, I checked out your Perlite, Peat Moss and Tap Water grow. Very interesting, I learned a lot, thanks for the detailed write-ups.
    Past Grows: Jack 47 Auto - La Bella Afrodita - Black Cream and Cheese Autos
    I like weed and science.

Comment

• BaccaRacca
      BaccaRacca commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jeff, stay tuned for more misadventures!

APRIL 1, 20201

Before getting to the official start of the first cycle (dropping of Do-Si-Dos seed) of this continuous grow journal, I'd like to introduce you to a couple of players that have lent plenty of drama to this Spring Grow.

First up is the now-flowering Blue Dream plant. At this point it has been very sickly. While the GG#4 was doing well. While the Blue Dream had curling, burn't tips and significant chlorosis, the GG#4, was fairly healthy, suffering only a bit of leaf tip burn after a transplant.

This is the GG#4, at this point, fairly ignored as I'd been spending a lot of time with my cancer treatment. It felt good to get back and grow with some kind of purpose.

Name:	04-01-2021 GG#4 - 1.jpeg
Views:	162
Size:	568.2 KB
ID:	515116

The Blue Dream here is not doing well. DX: Nitrogen deficiency. This is when I went from 1 tsp/gal of Vegetables & Herbs to a 1/2 tsp each of V&G plus Miracle-Gro All Purpose.

Name:	04-01-2021 Blue Dream Sick - 1.jpeg
Views:	170
Size:	577.3 KB
ID:	515114Click image for larger version

Name:	04-01-2021 Blue Dream Sick - 2.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	614.1 KB
ID:	515115

I use the sticks, threaded through holes I drilled into the side of the pot, to anchor the wires that control the height of the individual laterals. This takes advantage of the apical meristem hormones, which migrate to the highest branch, or so an old orchardist told me. Seems to work in my small orchard and seems to work here.

BR

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

April 17, 2021: Do-Si-Dos Seed Drop & Other Adventures

With the Do-Si-Dos dropped into the seed starting cup, Cycle 1 of this continuous grow journal begins.

I've never been one to mess with complicated seed germination rituals, rather I create a friendly spot to germinate inside a standard seedling pot. I start with my standard mix of perlite and peat, wet it down and stick my forefinger right down into the middle of the pot, to create a little hole for the tap root, then fill that hole with vermiculite, once even with the substrate, I place the seed and cover the contents of the pot with about 1/2" of vermiculite. I'll spray everything down until soaked and put a plastic cup over it to maintain humidity. I use a seed starting mat to warm things up and get things started.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-17-2021 Do-Si-Dos Seed Start - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	292.1 KB ID:	515138

It was also a good day to flip the Blue Dream.

Once the nute change was made, things took off pretty good. I'd been following the SrcOG tutorial created by @bboyfromwayback, and it inspired me to copy some of his work. I don't have the space to spread like he does with his setup (the cabinet for that, aka "Big Jenny" sits as lumber in my garage), so I have to trim back a bit. The 18" perennial towers fit my large 10-gallon pots perfectly. I included a shot with the underside scaffolding and wire restraint system, tall laterals get pulled down, short ones are let to go free.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-17-2021 Blue Dream Flip - 3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	441.4 KB ID:	515146Click image for larger version  Name:	04-17-2021 Blue Dream Flip - 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	473.5 KB ID:	515139Click image for larger version  Name:	04-17-2021 Blue Dream Flip - 3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	441.4 KB ID:	515148Click image for larger version  Name:	04-17-2021 Blue Dream Flip - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	551.9 KB ID:	515149

Meanwhile, I'm learning that the nute adjustment for the Blue Dream is virtually toxic to the GG#4 I'm growing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-17-2021 GG#4 Sick - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	619.0 KB ID:	515144Click image for larger version  Name:	04-17-2021 GG#4 Sick - 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	421.1 KB ID:	515140

This was about the time I posted regarding nute differentials. I was concerned.

Notice above, that I've chosen to have 10 laterals for this grow. OK, I didn't choose. I got high and didn't count right. By the time I started to lay things out I kinda liked it. But there was no room for the scaffolding beneath, so I got high again and invented these stake hook thingies. They work pretty well for maintaining lateral height and vitality.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-19-2021 Plant Stakes - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	241.3 KB ID:	515147

Following the GG#4, are some clones off the big Blue Dream that I took just before I flipped her. I also took some GG#4 clones, just because. Three of the clones were ready to plant, with one kind of straggling, so I planted the three good ones, and decided to wait for the fourth.

The plan here is to grow six colas in two of the 2.6-gallon pots, and four in the 2 other. The larger plants now will get the six branches, where the smaller plants will get four. Fertilizer for these girls is the hotter nitrogen mix that I use on the big girl.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-18-2021 4x Blue Dream Clones - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	416.9 KB ID:	515143

And finally, here is the nursery, with two freshly planted GG#4 clones, which will go into the breed box when they settle into their substrate a bit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-18-2021 Nursery - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	379.2 KB ID:	515145

That's it for the first week of my cannabis cabinet continuous grow. Thank you for following!

BR
      Attached Files

Comment

April 22-26, 2021: Blue Dream Growing Like a Dream, GG#4 is a Nightmare.

The Do-Si-Dos came up in four days and is looking good. I'll keep the plastic cup as a humidity dome for the week. I'll use the sprayer and regular tap water for now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-22-2021 Do-Si-Do, Sprout - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	252.2 KB ID:	515194

Here's the nursery cabinet, with the seedling, two Blue Dream clones set for seed breeding, and the two GG#4, and will follow the Blue Dream for seed breeding.

Name:	image_138757.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	497.5 KB
ID:	515196

These clones get the higher nute mix that I prepare for the mother plant. I learned my lesson!

Five days after flip, for the Blue Dream and I'm on a new nute mix consisting of 50% Veg & Herb, 25% All Purpose and 25% Bloom Booster (from an old box with really high phosophorus), plus 1/2 tablespoon of Botanicare Sweet Berry flavor enhancer. Things are looking very good. She is stretching at over an inch a day.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-22-2021 Blue Dream - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	477.6 KB ID:	515198

But by now, feeding the GG#4 the same high-nitro mix I'd been giving the Blue Dream -- the pre-flip mix -- was an all-out disaster. She was burning up, yellowing up and things were getting ugly. I trimmed off all the ugliness, because I couldn't bear to see it, and because I wanted to see any improvements in new leaves.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	04-22-2021 GG#4  - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	592.6 KB ID:	515197Click image for larger version  Name:	04-22-2021 GG#4  - 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	307.9 KB ID:	515193Click image for larger version  Name:	04-23-2021 GG#4 - 2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	486.3 KB ID:	515201

Then a did a big flush and went back to the basic, what I now call my "indica mix," simple Veg & Herb. Three days later, things were looking much better.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-26-2021 GG#4 - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	690.1 KB ID:	515202 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_138064.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	515200

Yay! I put some time into you, sucker, now you better produce!

In the mean while I've added the fourth Blue Dream clone to my 4x2.6 Blue Dream Grow. The yellow in the leaves? Oh yeah, once you know plants need different nutes, it is important not to mix them up, which I did once.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04-22-2021 Blue Dream Clones .6 wks - 1.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	460.1 KB ID:	515195

Attached Files

Comment

May Day! May Day! May Day!

Nothing to be alarmed about. But the Blue Dream is starting to look like something fun. Keeping the top of the canopy at 12" under the VS-450s. This is 2 weeks after flip, and I'm starting some very careful pruning, only taking out large, lower fan leaves, and some fan leaves on larger colas that are shading the shorter ones.

I wanna do scratch-and-sniff photos.

Name:	05-01-2021 Blue Dream - 3.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	515206Click image for larger version

Name:	05-01-2021 Blue Dream - 1.jpeg
Size:	379.9 KB
ID:	515205Click image for larger version

Name:	05-01-2021 Blue Dream - 2.jpeg
Views:	143
Size:	540.1 KB
ID:	515207Click image for larger version

Name:	05-01-2021 Blue Dream - 4.jpeg
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	515204

Attached Files

Comment

• JeffInCanada
            JeffInCanada commented
            Editing a comment
            For sure these are great photos..and plants of course. Do you happen to dabble in photography (probably not dabble...more like lots of experience)? They're that good.

• BaccaRacca
            BaccaRacca commented
            Editing a comment
            JeffInCanada, I am sorry it took so long to reply. I've had personal issues to attend to. Yes, I dabble a bit. I worked as an ad agency creative director before I retired. Photography is one way I can be creative without clients.

• JeffInCanada
            JeffInCanada commented
            Editing a comment
            No problem at all @BaccaRacca...I totally understand life taking priority...I've had a few curveballs thrown my way lately as well. Again, great photos!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X