How much longer should I veg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much longer should I veg

In the past year+ since I started growing all I've managed to grow is small plants, mostly autos. My best to date was an auto that yielded a mere 4oz, for someone who smokes an oz in a week, or two at most, thats something of a problem. But after reading B2b's thread I was inspired to try and grow a couple big photos. I have 2 plants, one peyote forum and another that was a freebie and came in a bag labeled "seedsman ltd l.a. confidential." The latter is labeled as a "short" stretch from what I can find and I can't find any stretch info on the peyote forum but with it being a indica Dom hybrid I'm assuming it shouldn't stretch much. Both are in 7 gallon fabric pots with amended coco, with a 300 true watt led bp-3000. Additionally I have approx 4' I can raise my light while being the manufacturers reccomend distance.

So those of you who grow beast plants, just how much taller should I let these 40 or so nodes get, or roughly how long should I go, before flipping them to flower??

Peyote forum photod.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Matriumcauthon; 05-11-2021, 02:56 PM. Reason: Auto correct sucks
    stoner, lapidary (a different kind of stoner https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...ies/tongue.png) and sometimes silversmith
    ~4' x ~4' x 7' grow box
    bloom plus LED 300W
    green crack 5 gallon dwc for the lulz
    Wifi og and snowcap dream in 5 gallon dwc still in the closet under some lame veg light

I'll let someone else answer your question as I'm not experienced enough to adequately respond. However, what I can say is that, given optimum conditions (PPFD, relative humidity, temperature, pH, nutrient concentration, etc.), there's still a limit to how many grams one can expect to yield per watt of light, which is roughly 1g/W (in your case, that would be ~300g or ~10.6oz). Also, as previously alluded, light distribution per area of grow space is also very important, so even with a 300W LED, it could be that only the plants closer to right under the lights will receive an adequate PPFD, while the others won't, and the yield will decrease.
    That being said, while it's important to know these things, try to not stress over this limit too much, as it gets progressively harder (and more expensive) to increase yields as you get closer to 1g/W. If your yield isn't enough for your consumption, perhaps you could find another grow space where you can keep plants vegetating while the current space will keep plants flowering. That way you you'll always have plants ready to flower after a harvest. You could even keep a few smaller autoflowering strains in the vegetative grow space, if it can handle.

Comment

Yeah I figured I'd be limited in light or pot size, but I figured my previous photo yields were all well below that cap mostly because I always get stressed about running out and flip them too soon so I'd ask.

I want to get a solid 2 room setup going but right now space is limited 🤷‍♂️ trying a number of plants outdoors in 10 and 15 gallon pots so with luck after this fall I'll have enough to keep me in smoke for a while lol but in the meantime I want to make the most out of these two indoor plants
      stoner, lapidary (a different kind of stoner https://forum.growweedeasy.com/core/...ies/tongue.png) and sometimes silversmith
      ~4' x ~4' x 7' grow box
      bloom plus LED 300W
      green crack 5 gallon dwc for the lulz
      Wifi og and snowcap dream in 5 gallon dwc still in the closet under some lame veg light

Comment

• azorahai
        azorahai commented
        Editing a comment
        You could try temporarily vegetating a few plants outdoors and bringing them inside to flower after a harvest. Just check them for bugs, I'm keeping a few clones outside and they're home to at least four different kinds of pest, it's truly a sight to behold how sickly they look right now lol
        I'll begin spraying them probably this weekend and attempt to bring a few inside once my secondary grow space is finished. Hopefully I'll begin yielding as much as needed by the end of the year. Good luck!

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        ive thought about that, though my "indoor" grow is in the garage so i still deal with bugs there. that sns stuff seems to be helping though ive only been using it for a week now, with luck itll work as well as ive been told and bug issues will be a thing of the past. might not be a bad idea to do like you suggest though and get a couple months of veg in outdoors before bringing it in once these are done.

It’s completely filled out the space so to me that says time to flip. I never worry about height because indoor grow lights can only get so far down into the plant. It looks tight on there so the issue now will be getting plenty of light to all those bud sites without crowding out the other plants. Looks good though, definitely has beastie potential 👍🏻

BTW 4oz off a single auto is nothing to sneeze at but if you’re smoking a oz a week I’d steer clear of autos unless you can grow a bunch of them in a perennial type grow so you’re harvesting a couple plants every other week. Even with a perennial photo grow you’re going to have to grow a lot of weed.

To break it down you need to supply yourself with at least 52oz per year. Your 300w light will provide roughly 10oz per grow, more if everything goes right. So with that setup you’d be lucky to grow 40oz per year growing in one tent with short veg times less than 4wks. Buy yourself another tent and start a perennial grow and you may come close.

I love the BU2B tutorial. Great incite into his training methods, some of which I’ve incorporated into my own grows. Plus a big ass plant is just awesome to look at but in reality, he pulled 2.25g per watt in that grow. That’s a once in a lifetime grow. Most are lucky to ever see 1.5g per watt. Definitely use the tips and training methods, just don’t expect to pull that kind of yield.
      Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 05-12-2021, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah I figured I wouldn't come near his yields as I'm growing in coco and under what I'd call a economy level light. And yeah my smoking habits have only gotten worse since I started growing, used to be a half a week. Could also be my homegrown bud is a lot weaker than what I used to smoke 🤷‍♂️ still with 8 plants outside in 10 and 15 gallon pots I hope I won't have to worry about running low for a while =D just trying to make the most of these plants considering my previous yields felt really subpar. Thanks for the advice!

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        I don’t grow outdoors but that will help! You just can’t match the sun, try to inside and you fry your plants lol

I don’t grow in hydro either so I know a 1lb plant isn’t going to happen. Plus I don’t want that much of one strain tbh we like variety. Although after seeing that grow I’d like to try it out once just to see but that’s a lot of time to put into growing one plant.

The are 4 photo plants GG#4 vegged just 6wks and flipped. I usually veg for 2months but didn't this round and even though i LST and tied them down i lost control of several branches when they streched during 12/12 for about a month they kept growing. Not the biggest fullest colas but lots of large buds. They are 50days into the flowering expected harvest date at 5/31. It's very importaint to keep the airflow under canopy and seeing soil. Bottom left pot takes 7 days to dry out, keep an eye on it for root issues/mold. Easy to watch, with less plants go for quaility now adays. 36x36x66 tent
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Matriumcauthon
        Matriumcauthon commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look great =D I'll remember that, planned to get a few more fans anyway. I usually don't have wet soil issues, its so dry here I usually give them a gallon or more every other day and they are dry again 48 hours later.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X