Buds Collapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Buds Collapse

For my medical needs, I have been growing mostly indicas in a 3'×3'×5' tent under a Viparspectra TS1200 LED for about 3 years with some fairly good success. My last 2 grows were Granddaddy Purple (4 plants from seed) and then, 4 clones from among them.
    My concern is that after a month or two, the buds in my cure jars collapse into fluff! I prefer that they would stay hard buds. Before the collapse all the buds are dense with nice color. It happens quickly, almost overnight. I use Boveda humidipacks in my quart jars.
    These grows were done with flushing and ph adjustments, which I never did before, and the use of Fox Farm soil nutrients and PK boosters at half strength. Also, since GDP prefers 75°F/50% RH, that's what I gave them, up 'til harvest, and then dried at 70°F/50% for a slow 4-5 day cure, after wet trimming.
    My question is, "Why are the buds collapsing into fluff?" Has anybody else had this happen, or heard about it? Any help is welcome. Thanks.

Could you take a picture ? Never heard that term. I’m imagining weird things. Are hey too dry or too moist?

Comment

Sounds like they dried out.
      What strength Boveda did you use?
      Was your hygrometer calibrated?
      2X4X6 Quictent
      1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
      600w LED (80)
      1000w LED (180)
      2 X Viparspectra P-1000
      2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
      6" battery/usb fans
      Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
      GH trio with Calimagic
      Lung room humidifier
      3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
      ArmorSi, kelp when needed
      Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
      Northern Lights auto
      (Seedsman)
      auto 00 Kush
      (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
      2x Northern lights auto
      1 auto 00 Kush
      1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
      Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s what I thought at first but “into fluff” ?, dried buds crumble into dust and there’s no weird thing about that. Wouldn’t he just say too dry?

• Growdaddy
        Growdaddy commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry for the delay. They are not dry. I use 62% Bovedas, and have never had this happen until now. Maybe I shook the jars too much during the first 2 weeks of curing. I jostle the 80% full quart jars just before opening to make sure the buds are not stuck to bottom. Then I open each jar for about 5 minutes to give the buds oxygen before resealing. Oddly, after about 4 days unopened-- voila! the buds are still a nice consistency for smoking, but they are no longer nuggets or balls, even the large ones that resemble pinecones have broken down to fluffy, loose weed. Only after 8 or 9 months in jars opened ocassionally would I expect that.
        Last edited by Growdaddy; 05-11-2021, 12:25 AM.

Iv had this happen to 2 jars of nukem an my problem was bad seals on the jar lids so my humidity packs dried out so best thing i find is make sure seal is good an swat out humidity packs ever 3 months which is about as long as they last befor drying up

Comment

Thanks Tazzman. Good advice. But I'm beginning to think I may have mishandled them during the first 2 weeks of cure.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Ya know you may just dig into a big bud with a scope, spider mites destroy buds. 4-5 days of cure hmmmm i'd really check close for mold or bugs.

Thanks SoOrbudgal. Great idea. I will check those buds/fluff for spider mites.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X