Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these ready for harvest? (photos of trichomes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are these ready for harvest? (photos of trichomes)

Hello All!

I'm trying to determine if my plants are ready for harvest based on their trichomes. I'm color blind, so seeing amber within them is difficult for me.

Based on my calendar, they should be ready for harvest in ~5 days, but I just want to make sure that looks correct. From what I can see they look cloudy, with just a couple amber trichomes. Would you wait longer? How much longer?

PS: The plants are Super Citrus Haze (AKA: Super Lemon Haze) and Jack Herer.

Thanks everyone!

VIVOSUN 36"x20"x62" grow tent
    MARS HYDRO TS 1000W LED
    Advanced Nutrients Bloom, Micro & Grow
    Mother Earth coco coir

Full disclosure, I have colour loss as well and have trouble finding the ambers.

With that said, it is a bit hard to tell for sure with the pics because the resolution isn’t quite clear enough. The pistils look nice and brown but it looks like there are still some transparent trichomes. The zoomed out pic suggests you might be able put a little more bulk on the bud but that depends a bit on genetics (as does most everything). My vote is you have at least a couple weeks to go if you want to maximize the harvest.

Comment

Thanks DeadlyFruit - I took those photos last night with my cell phone through a loupe. Not the most ideal method. Haha. I was kind of thinking they were not done yet since the leaves still look pretty green. In all my other harvests the leaves changed colors of some sorts. I'll keep checking each day until I think they're done.
      MARS HYDRO TS 1000W LED
      Mother Earth coco coir

Comment

They look all clear to me. Give it more time.

Comment

I'm now at 91 days since switching to 12/12. Any idea what is taking so long to turn cloudy? The attached photos are trichomes from a lower sugar leaf.
          MARS HYDRO TS 1000W LED
          Mother Earth coco coir

Comment

Wow, that is a long flowering period and still with clear trichomes. A long flowering is pretty typical of haze and I think jack herer as well. When did you start the clock counting flowering days? Many people start it after they see pistils forming rather than at the changing to 12/12 or change plus a week to skip the transition when counting or some other yardstick. Give some thought to how many days it would be if you counted in a different way.

Lots of people on the forum like the old adage that ‘leaves lie’ so you may want to check the trichomes on the buds rather than leaves. I’ve also read someplace that there are a few strains that don’t really cloud up and amber the way most plants do so it is possible you may have one of those.

In any case, if the plants still look healthy you are probably still ok. Keep an eye on them and they should tell you when it is time.

Comment

Thanks for your help. The 91 days is since I switched it to 12/12 on February 23. This isn't my first grow, but it is my first time using coco, advanced nutrients, and these seeds/genetics, so I didn't know if it was that. From my googling, it seems like my strains could be the culprit. I'll try and look at the buds and not the sugar leaves, and I'll keep on eye on them. Hopefully they wrap up in a week or two. Thanks again!
              MARS HYDRO TS 1000W LED
              Mother Earth coco coir

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
                DeadlyFruit commented
                Editing a comment
                Haze plants are definitely longer. I just harvested some liberty haze which was longer, although not quite as long in flower as yours I think. I planted my seeds January 1 and harvested early May, which is quite long for me but they probably could have gone longer if I would have left them.

Good luck!

I'm now at 16 weeks since switching to 12/12, and ~13 weeks since the first sign of flowers. It seems as though they just don't want to finish. Here are photos from today. What are your thoughts? Are they done? Do I have some other problem preventing them from finishing?
              Attached Files
              MARS HYDRO TS 1000W LED
              Mother Earth coco coir

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
                DeadlyFruit commented
                Editing a comment
                I am not great with colours and spotting ambers but I do see some in there. That mixed with you no longer seeing the nice mushroom heads on the trichomes, dark pistils, the extensive tacoing of the leaves and yellowing on top suggests to me that you are well into the harvest window. You probably have genes in the strain that are keeping the trichomes from acting as most other plants do (yours seemed to have skipped the milky phase and started going directly to amber. As I said, I have colour loss that makes it difficult for me but that is what I see with your plants.

• SoOrbudgal
                SoOrbudgal commented
                Editing a comment
                Personel preferance an grow style. Those are big plants normally i have grown JH and haze known for long flowering times. It looks to have taken longer do to being crowded, leaf covering bud sites an air flow. So just go by the trichs if your in no hurry wait do not water or give nutes. Allow the pots to dry, check trichs again my thoughts.

• TOKABIGONE
                TOKABIGONE commented
                Editing a comment
                Do agree with SoOrbudgal just let them dry out now. Gal you may remember a month ago at my harvest you commented on loving that fade to yellow and dry out. When the plant says it's done just let it go.
                Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 06-16-2021, 06:43 PM.

IMHO I think they are done by the looks of whole plant. My recent harvest had almost no amber and about 1/2 cloudy ( mostly genetics I think but the plants (4) basically just gave up after 12 weeks and looked dried out like yours are doing. Have you smoke tested any? I did a quick oven decarb at 8 weeks and got about the same affect as now almost cured. No more than a few days now.
              Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
              Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
              Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
              Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
              Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
              i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
              My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
              make pH correction unnecessary
              Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
              8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
              Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
              Semper Fidelis!

Comment

I ended up waiting to harvest. I may be now regretting it. Last weekend I was away for a few days and there was standing water in my tent. I got home to either a mold or powdery mildew problem.

Is this PM or Mold?

I'm planning on harvesting asap.

Thank you all!
                Attached Files
                MARS HYDRO TS 1000W LED
                Mother Earth coco coir

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  first pic looks like mold

• Greenish
                  Greenish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. That was my fear. I'm cutting away the infected parts and harvesting asap.

Just an update. I harvested this past weekend, and these are by far the largest buds I've ever grown. Thank you all for the help over the past few months. I appreciate it!
                Attached Files
                MARS HYDRO TS 1000W LED
                Mother Earth coco coir

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                X