Should I clip these bad leaves?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Should I clip these bad leaves?

My girls have really taken a turn for the worse over the past week or so . It started as some brown spotting but now there are several leaves that just look awful, and lots of leaves that don’t have spots are starting to turn a more pale shade of green, I feel like they’re yellowing. I am trying to address these issues by changing my watering practices (I had been watering to too much run off, which I just recently read that Nebula says to water to very little to no run off when using Nature’s Living Soil), adding Roots Organic Cal-Mag, and adding more Nature’s Living Soil concentrate as a top dressing. I keep testing the water pH I’m giving and it always comes out in the 6.0-6.5, so even if this is all caused by bad soil pH, I really don’t know what else I could do at this point.

While I try my best to address these problems, my question is this: should I remove these affected leaves? Are they harming my girls? Or can they still provide any benefits? How should I decide which leaves to cut and which to leave? Can they get better? Thanks!

Full details:
    2 x OG Kush autos from Nirvana, indoors in a 4x4 tent
    Age: 42 days since seeds popped, but budlets are still small and they haven’t been flowering very long, maybe a couple weeks
    Soil: Fox Farm Ocean Forest with Nature’s Living Soil and perlite (“Living Soil” approach, not “Super Soil” approach)
    Fed only water, a mix of spring and filtered drinking water that comes out at roughly 6.5 pH (I feed only water since I’m using living soil)
    Light: Black Dog PhytoMAX-2 600 (615 watts from wall)
    Temperature: Low 70s during lights off, low 80s with lights on
    Humidity: Upper 40s with lights off, low to mid 40s with lights on
    Ventilation: 8” system with 710 CFM fan pulling through two separate large carbon filters (one tail end and one inline) through very long duct work, resulting in a nice breeze coming out in an adjacent room, and tent walls sucking in decently but not extremely hard
    Small Vornado air circulator inside tent, blowing 24/7 on low, pointed slightly down to not be directly on leaves
    Vornado oscillating tower fan blowjng softly across the full height of the plants for roughly 12 hours per day, staggered 6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off
    Attached Files

The ones that are really bad I said go for it like in pic #2.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Rik how far are they in flowering ? Can you show us their entirety? I had similar issues with my last grow so I decide to flush them and feeding them with Cal-Mag for a week. Finally I was able to get a decent harvest. Correction I saw a few weeks in flower. Just remove the dead ones. You still have 30+ days left right ?
      Last edited by Farmbuck; 05-05-2021, 10:18 AM.

• Rik
      Rik commented
      Editing a comment
      I posted some pics from 5 days ago, the most recent I have showing the full plants and budlets. I would guess I definitely have well more than 30 days left. I will feed with organic bottle nutes and organic cal mag tonight, and I will clip all the dead leaves I can find.

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      Look my girls were in bad shape and I manage to save them. You'll be fine Rik

I just finished a auto grow using living soil and I had the same issues you’re having. In cloth pots it’s hard not to wash all your nutrients out when watering. If I didn’t get runoff then it seemed as if my plants weren’t getting enough water. I started watering with regular nutes like the living soil wasn’t even there and removed all the yellow leaves. All three plants recovered within 2wks. Good luck

Comment

• Rik
      Rik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks bboyfromwayback, that is really encouraging. I’ll swing by the hydro store and pick up some organic bottle nutes and feed them tonight. Do you remember which nutes you used in particular?

• bboyfromwayback
      bboyfromwayback commented
      Editing a comment
      I always use fox farm

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      @bboyfromwayback... I'm real close to doing the SAME thing!

Here are some pics from last Friday, so 5 days ago. They just started flowering. The leaf droop has improved since these photos just slightly, but the color is a little less green now than it is in these photos.
    Attached Files

Comment

• QueenofOG
      QueenofOG commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like I'm having the same issue, but I have photoperiods. Met a few people at hydro store today and they actually suggested I start with turning my lights slightly lower (because literally a few days after I turned them up is when this happened) I'm running 2 electric sky 300 V3"s in a 5x5 (330pull from wall each) Hope you resolve the problem either way!!!

I bought Roots Organic Buddha Bloom and Trinity, which I will use with the Roots Organic cal mag which I already own. I’ll water those nutes over a fresh sprinkling of Nature’s Living Soil top dressing tonight. I will overcome this!! Thanks Farmbuck and bboyfromwayback for your advice and encouragement, you guys are always helpful.

Comment

Funny that this post recently received some new activity, since this OG Kush grow was a complete disaster for me. It was the only grow I completely abandoned. Straight into the trash. My impression is that to make living soil work, you’ve gotta use giant pot sizes, not 5 gallons. I’ve gone back to my roots, using coco and the GH nutrient trio.

Comment

• Ckbrew
        Ckbrew commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the coco and GHT. To me, it is so much easier.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X