Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the best way to deal with these white flies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! What's the best way to deal with these white flies?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-05-04-16-42-17-354_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	512952
    Today I noticed a handful of white flies inside my grow space, and tried to squish as many as I could (around 10-15 flies and/or larvae). I haven't found any more, but I'm sure there are others hiding in there. All plants are in the later stages of the flowering phase, and I'm probably harvesting one of them in a week or so.

Right now, it's not an infestation per se, so I'm not sure if I should go straight to spraying insecticide all around, but I don't want to overlook this and allow it to worsen. Do sticky traps help? If I were to use an insecticide, how to avoid ruining my buds? Any other useful tips? Thank you!

Fly paper may help if you don't want to use insecticides. ladybugs and predatory mites deal with whiteflies quite well. Some stores sell them. Besides neem oil, you may want to try eucalyptus, rosemary, lemon, and cinnamon oils. Simply mix them with water and apply them to your plants with a mister. Try not to spray anything but the leaves so avoid any flowers/buds.

Spinosad is an organic pesticide so you could try that too. Once the infestation is gone, stick the plant in some sunshine as UV light breaks down the pesticide just in case you don't want any lingering on the plant.

Good Luck!
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• azorahai
      azorahai commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll give the sticky traps a chance first and see if it does the trick. My grow space also isn't completely sealed, meaning bugs can still get inside if they try hard enough, but I already have everything I need to seal it. Hopefully that's enough. Thanks for the tips!

Permethrin & its organic form, pyrethrin, should both be effective on White Flies. The molecule they are derived from comes from the dust on Chrysanthemum flowers. I use them in the orchard to in the ongoing battle against the dreaded Apple Maggot Fly. On fruit it is ok for use up to a week before harvest. Best effect when applied with a fogger.
    "Permethrin is an insecticide in the pyrethroid family. Pyrethroids are synthetic chemicals that act like natural extracts from the chrysanthemum flower. Permethrin is used in a number of ways to control insects. Products containing permethrin may be used in public health mosquito control programs."
    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

I can vouch for Spinosad in battling thrips. I think it will knock whiteflies down too.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• azorahai
        azorahai commented
        Editing a comment
        That's good to know, because I left a few clones outside to veg in the sun while I'm dealing with the limited space I have inside, and they are completely infested with thrips, it's an unsettling sight. I'll probably top and defoliate them as much as I can when I can find space inside for them, but I'll still have to deal with the remaining infected leaves. How long would you say it takes for spinosad to kill them?

• UndergroundFarmer
        UndergroundFarmer commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it only took overnight to get rid of them all.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X