Mixing artificial and natural light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing artificial and natural light

If I'm growing indoors in an attic bedroom under artificial light will the natural light from the skylight window be of benefit or detrimental to my grow?
    600W LEDs (when growing indoors)
    70% John Innes #3 compost. 15% Perlite. 15% coir
    10 inch (3 gallon) pots

"I can resist everything, except temptation"
    Oscar Wilde

Depends on the window - if it has the ability to reduce uv rays then not so good. Some older windows act almost like magnifiers.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

It's a 40x90 cm double-glazed 'Velux' (modern) window. Don't know about its uv capabilities. Faces north.
      10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

Keep in mind if you are growing photos you will need to block any light from your skylight during the dark hours or your plants will never flip to bloom (unless the sunlight where you are is 12 hours or less and is in synch with your artificial light).

Comment

Sorry - forgot to mention - I'm growing autos.
          10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

• DeadlyFruit
            DeadlyFruit commented
            Editing a comment
            Perfect, no problem then. I would say as long as the skylight isn’t spiking your heat during the day i can’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be a help rather than a problem, adding to the light levels.

• welshweed
            welshweed commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool!
            I'll be pulling down the blind at night time though, to shut out that tell-tale purple glow!

• DeadlyFruit
            DeadlyFruit commented
            Editing a comment
            LoL, a purple skylight these days might mean you are using those new smart lights that change colours or having your own personal rave or something 🙂

What I read about glass and windows is UV is blocked unless it's special glass to pass the UV rays.

Comment

• welshweed
            welshweed commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmm. Just been doing some reading. My Velux windows block out 95 - 99% UV. Also, I read that UV stimulates the production of THC which is the plant's mechanism for protecting itself from UV. So if I give my plants more natural light minus the UV content it won't actually be harmful, but will it be of any benefit at all, I wonder?

• Catfish22
            Catfish22 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah was gonna say Velux blocks 99% of uv. That said plants don't run on UV alone!
            I think it will surely not hurt and probably help a little. Just try to sync your off time with darkness if possible so they get the full "sleep" time advantage.

Thanks for the advice Catfish, but on another thread I started I was told that autos aren't that fussed about sleeping. So I'll probably stick to my 20/4 cycle under lights (with some natural light "supplement" during the daytime!)

Simple question - I hope! I've just seen some tiny pistils develop on several nodes. So PHEW! they're feminine and YIPEE! they're starting to flower. Is this the time to switch from 16/8 to 12/12 lighting?

It's my first grow, so pretty much trial and error - but Hey - I'm having fun

10 inch (3 gallon) pots

Oscar Wilde

Comment

More light, more better. Light = food.
            5x5 Gorilla tent
            Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
            Infinity T8 exhaust fan
            Technaflora nutes
            Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X