New tent lighting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tent lighting question

I'm a newbie grower. Grew my very first plant in the window. Wife and neighbors bitched of the smell once it flowered. Read an article Nebula wrote about small tents and filters. So I bought a 2x2x4 tent & filter. No more smell. I'm growing autos. I am currently using a small LED bulb purchased from a home store. But one plant is almost to the top of the tent. It's been topped once but still growing tall. Should I continue to light with this one lonely light (it seems to be working fine - all three are growing strong) or based on what I read (LED's need to be further away) should I try lighting with a few CFL's (they can be closer to the plant)??? Any advice?
    Mother Earth Coco/Perlite 70/30
    Canna Coco Or
    Happy Frog soil
    Fox Farms nutrients trio
    Smart pots
    Vivosun tent, LED lite & fan

Semper Fi brothers and sisters!

The different heights of the 3 plants is working against you, for distribution of lumens and light energy. I have a tent like this a little bigger, there's a Super Farmer SF-1000 in there and this is the light I would use in your tent also. I use LED. EDIT: It is a Spider Farmer SF-1000, that was autocorrect helping.

What's the temperature at the top of the uppermost buds? What's the rh of the room/tent? What's the lumens of the light, or .. what is the wattage the light pulls? That's easier to find. If you don't want to upgrade at this point I'd get the canopy of all 3 near equal. Since you're moving the light up and down you can use your hand to feel the heat at the top of the buds. If your hand is hot the plant is also. I think you can get good results just by evening the canopy.

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes I agree. 2 of the 3 were planted at the same time, the 3rd a few weeks later - rookie mistake. The smaller one was on a box - I think I'll get it back on the box. I will take a look at the Super Farmer (just messin'...)lite. Thank you for the reply!

I'm going to go on a limb here and say that light isn't strong enough for them or that space. If you use that through flower, you're going to end up with light, fluffy buds that won't be worth trimming. I'd recommend upgrading the light too, it will be worth it for you. I have a little Mars Hydro TS600 in my 2x2 that works perfectly and was under $100. They have other options for a little more that would really kick up your growth, but that depends on your budget. I have a few Mars Hydro and one Spider Farmer light and I love them all so far. Hope that helps.

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      So that is why such small buds... The 1st grow in the window had pretty small buds as well. The only light was window light. I really didn't know why my bus were so small but now I do. I will check out both the Mars & Spider Farmer and make a change. I appreciate your input!!!

Deffo need more light,thats why there stretching so much and all those buds look really small and airy.Upgrade your lights and a bit of lst and they'l do great.
    Grow tent=120x60x150 for veg,300x150x160 for flowering
    Current grow=4x dwarf autos,
    Medium=coco/perlite 60/40
    Nutrients=canna a+b plus calmag
    Lighting=2x110w QBs for veg,2x600w hps/digital+dimmable for flowering
    Ventilation=Small tent 2x4" ac infinity fans and 2x rhino carbon filters Large tent 8"ac infinity fan+filter.
    Circulation=2x6"oscilating fans in smaller tent, 2x8" oscilating fans and 12" static in large tent
    Pots=12l fabric
    Temps with light on 23-24c,lights of 17-18c

Comment

• jamesphoto
      jamesphoto commented
      Editing a comment
      You are right - small and airy. I hoped one day to have the big ass buds I see the others growing that will make my eyes red just looking at them!!! Thanks for your input!

• george66
      george66 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you do what i say you will have the big ass buds you want.Its not too late.Good luck.If you just want something cheap that will always do the job you cant beat a good old fashioned 250w hps.IMO although leds have come on loads they still cant quite match hps during flowering.

You've lost control of your canopy and got some major stretch going on. Some great articles on this site about LST and lighting. Check em out and your results will improve!
    Space: 4 x 5 x 6, Two 600w HPS, Dirt farmer since Nov 2012.

Current Grow: White Truffles (GG#4 X Peanut Butter Breath)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X