12wk into grow and boom hermies again-- I need breeder opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

12wk into grow and boom hermies again-- I need breeder opinion

Ok, So I have been growing for around 2 yrs now. I have to do it in a 50sqft space and it is not easy to transfer water nor grow in the location. I do with what I have. I looked at my girls today and saw really swollen calyxes. (24 days into flower)I pull a few just to check them because 5 days before my timer for flower did not go off, so they got 6+ hrs of light past the 12 needed. I read most strains can handle a one time fuck up. Well I was wrong. The swollen calyxes had pre-mature seeds forming. There goes 12 damn wks of crawling on my hands and knees to turn lights of and tend to the grisl down the drain. I may try and do some bubble hash. still so mad right now. A potential 4 plans pulling a qp each is not going to maybe be a oz plant. smh. I did not find nanners tho. I will exam allot more tonight but from my first 3 hrs of looking them over I did not find. I also read that strain/breeder plays a big part in femi seeds. I might go with regular seeds next time and just seed 3 or 4 extra for the males who may show. Do any of you have breeders in mind that can take a beating in it's environment. A part of me want's to hope no seeds will form on 1 of the plants but I know them hermies got to her already, it is just a matter of time. RIP Grow 10..

Welcome Houseofpain,
    Sorry to hear about the trouble which you are having. I had 'nanners' show up on my last grow. They showed up late into the bloom stage. I did not chop them down and only came up with a few seeds (may be 75 - 100 total) out of 7 1/4 oz. yield. I think that my problem was light leaks when I would go into or out of the room (the grow is in the close in the room) at night to check on or change out the ice bottles in the reservoirs. On this grow, I installed a 'black out' curtain to block as much light from entering as I can, so far so good.
    I hope that You get the problems 'ironed out'.
    Good luck with your grow.
    Smoke weed,.....grow peace!

Comment

• Weasel
      Weasel commented
      Editing a comment
      Seeds don't reduce potency. They just take up some room in the bud. If you've only got a few seeds then relocate the nanners amd remove them. You may have to do it two or three times. I think you'll be fine.

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Weasel. Yes I've noticed that whether there are seeds in the buds or not, does not seem to have any effect on the potency. The buds, on the last 'hermied' plants did not all have seeds develop in them, some were completely seedless, and some had tiny little 'granules' (maybe immature seeds?) in them. My set up does not allow me to move plants to different areas, so prevention is my best option.

Hello HoP, shit happens. I lost a plant early in flowering that showed pollen sacs. Are you saying this has happened before? If so, one has to wonder what may be causing this in your grow environment...??? Who are you getting seeds from? I mean, who's the breeder?
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• Houseofpain
      Houseofpain commented
      Editing a comment
      I really only think it is a light issue. I have only had 2 grows out of 10 go hermie - So %20. The first time I went in with a flash light 30 mins after I shut the lights off and shined it in there, 14 days later seed heaven. That was grow 8- Grow 9 was awesome- This grow- Grow 10 Only issue was the light staying on to long and a few cold nights, in the 55f to 58f. I might give them 48 more hrs and see where they go. I'm going to probably cut the one that I found 10 seeds on, the other 3 plants I only found 1 seed. Maybe I could save it. Just can't get the hopes up. Worse out of it , I have hash for the rig. I see ur have grown pineapple chunk, she was fun.

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm only on my second grow, and I have one PC, a Gold Leaf, a Liberty Haze and a Chemdawg. I have yet to really learn how this hermie stuff works, but I don't regret having my Green Crack turn out to be a male, because from now on, I'll know what I'm seeing as soon as I see it.

Gotta respect that dark period...

If ya wanna know about Pineapple Chunk, talk to Weasel !!!!!!!!

My experience with light leaks and light interruptions is that they cause nanners to appear 1/2 - 2/3 of the way through flowering. It does relate to the strain genetics as well like you said
    So- there's a whole genetic range - from plants that will always hermie to plants that will hermie from stress to (hopefully) plants that are practically bomb proof. I can't say what strains fall into that last category but generally speaking with strains I buy I don't get hernies unless there is a problem causing stress. It was basically always indicator lights and door-closing problems and light cycle interruptions. I've had lots of power outages and timer screwups and those usually didn't cause any trouble.

I did grow a bagseed strain for years and it would always throw out a few nanners late in flower. I would go around and pick them out. I only had to do that once or twice and they'd be gone.
    I'd get a few seeds but not very many at all.
    The seeds shouldn't make a huge difference to the bud - mostly it just takes up space.
    Anyway - good luck. Have you thought about booking up an electric pump and a watering system in there? it's usually very easy.

Comment

• alltatup
      alltatup commented
      Editing a comment
      What I understand about hermies is that if the plant feels threatened by unfavorable conditions which could possibly threaten extinction, she produces the parts necessary to ensure the survival of the species. Is that right?

And you're saying that some strains will be more vulnerable to herming when stressed, and that other strains can handle the light disruptions better?

And seeds appear on hermies, but male plants grow pollen sacs? Hermies can also be pollen sacs and flowers?

Oh, I feel for u. My first grow at 12 weeks was, Hermie's! I was crushed
    All love and time gone ( I trashed them!). But, it was stress. Lights, wrong soil, all kinds of stuff. But I read & learned & now 3 white widows & 1 auto big gun thriving! Try again, soon. Ur love & experience will carry u onward thru the fog! Good luck!
    TXWhip

Comment

I just got back from the little grow area. One of the girls had around 30 baby nanners. I did not fuck with the nanners and cut her down. The other 3 plants look decent, they still did take some pollen. I only found maybe 3 seeds on the other plants. Once it starts making seed it wont stop. We will see what happens in the next 72hrs.

Comment

• alltatup
        alltatup commented
        Editing a comment
        Got my fingers crossed for your crop, HoP...

I'm a weed growing beginner, however I am a botanist with plants. I saw a hermie post on here and two controversial replies, so I tested my theory on my own plants. My personal grow license only allows me to have 4 mature, one started flowering on her own so i separated her for her 12hr darkness, it was interrupted once for a split second and she stressed. Balls started growing all over what were her flowering buds. One reply said cut off all branches with balls and let her start again, another reply said won't work it's in her DNA now. Which is not true, a stressed hermie producing both sex organs has not changed it's DNA. So post saying cut all branches with balls off. I did. Had same problem. Let her grow and recover for a week. Cut her branches again. She's small. She's all female. No balls in a week.
      removing balls can leave some to miss.
      When left the immediate lower branches will get pollinated. I no longer have a flowering plant either, the effective pruning threw her back into vegetation stage. I never topped her in the beginning...it was like topping her for first time.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X