No announcement yet.

I don't understand: why people grow in hydro, why people grow autos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't understand why people have half full pots - the roots like to grow down first - give them room to. Happy roots = big buds

Can't grow outside - Cedars are too f ing tall in my south facing yard. Had a large branch get blown off one tree - insurance paid for a new roof.

I grow autoflowers only cuz I like the flowers - I have 3 growing and at a certain time I'll start 3 more so I can always always have buds to stare at. Perpetually have buds and terpenes filling the air. Smaller plants are easier to control - turn my light on 24/7 if I want to.
    Last edited by Canuck147; 04-21-2021, 06:21 PM.
    ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
    Mars Hydro
    Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      half full pot also means you're spending more boring time watering

• Catfish22
      Catfish22 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's my biggest reason for autos, no worries if I need to open up the tent after "dark"!
      I'm sure I will try some photos soon, we have a "family" clone called IDK that kicks ass. I will try those soon.

• SleepyTibbs
      SleepyTibbs commented
      Editing a comment
      lol my pots aren't exactly half full but as a first time gardener I didn't realize how much the soil would settle after a few waterings so they are definitely lower than I would like.

I'm forced to grow inside. Otherwise, I'd be doing it outdoors and organic. I started hydro in a tote and evolved to the RDWC setups I'm using now. I like the ability to control what goes on at the root level. I did just harvest my first all-coco grow when I cut down my retired mother plants after letting them flower out. I've also got four Purple Hazes in coco in flower in my newest tent. I tried coco out because keeping mothers in hydro is impossible unless you're taking cuttings every weekend! I like the coco grows because I can pull a plant out of the tent without a major disturbance to the others. I can also do LST much more easily in coco. I also like the fact that in coco, I can cycle plants through flower in the new tent and harvest only what's really ready without feeling like I'm losing time as I would waiting for a straggler or two to finish in hydro. Having a coco-only tent now makes it easier to just grow all the same type in each hydro tent and throw a mix of feminized seed in the coco tent.

I'm a bit new to regs but I can see that's where it's at. I discovered Ace seeds recently for myself. I have Malawi fems (regs were sold out) and Golden Tiger regs in the seedbank. I do have a few autos starting too. I have them mostly for CBD for my wife. I also did buy Dark Devil for giggles. The thing about regs I'm in love with is that you can sacrifice a grow to Jah, let nature take its course and get back over a thousand seeds for the eight you invested! I've also got a couple of accidental crosses but isn't that how umpteen famous strains were discovered?
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      We’re in the ACE gang

Humboldt says “where does your breeder get his auto base line”?

Well, as a breeder I prefer to just let one plant hermie my whole crop, save the seeds, then call it a whole new drop with art drawn up by my sister and names from a high school stoner friend

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Rant about the lack of stability in many auto lines. Humboldt sells autos so they’re not throwing shade at all autos

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      can always throw shade at unstable photoperiod genetics - hear me, Cherry anything?

Originally posted by PeterMatanzas View Post
    Humboldt says “where does your breeder get his auto base line”?

Well, as a breeder I prefer to just let one plant hermie my whole crop, save the seeds, then call it a whole new drop with art drawn up by my sister and names from a high school stoner friend

Hi PeterMatanzas,
    You are on to something with that quip, made me laugh. I follow a forum of the ProGrow crew in SoCal & Oregon and they are incensed at the continual entry of bogus new "Exotics" appearing on the scene complete with all attendant hype. Any breeder who actually creates anything valuable is afraid to let clones out of the house because they'll immediately be crossed, packed in non-transparent mylar and marketed with "Sister's Artwork" and a trendy name! Of course, they have a few tons of 2020 "Stinky Smoke Weed" that isn't moving so they are a crabby tribe at the moment.

Canna-Hype on parade:
    https://www.laweekly.com/the-most-ex...-of-4-20-2021/

My little basement "Pharmacy" is a veritable haven of non-commercial peace and serenity: Pampered plants, thriving on living soil under a warm blanket of powerful LED "sunlight" interrupted only when necessary with a lite dose of "vitamins & minerals" and a little "parental guidance" training to help them achieve their full potential in the form of epicurean smoke that I couldn't buy at any dispensary.

The way of the Tao has many paths, that's mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PurpleWidowTrophyShot.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	509933
    Attached Files
    Last edited by grouchyoldman; 04-23-2021, 08:51 AM.
    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      grouchyoldman I'm 68 and often a grouchy old man. You wrote "Stinky Smoke Weed" that isn't selling and I almost spit out my coffee. A lot of humor - crabby tribe, non-transparent mylar. A pleasure to read in the a.m. Hilarious.

That auto I complained about earlier turned out ok, so I'm wrong for the millionth time.

I don't understand the DISGUSTING mess pictured below. Somebody in an edibles group posted this as "mix FECO with melted chocolate". WTF is this, tar from Interstate 95? Good god almighty I wouldn't eat this even if I was in prison.

Click image for larger version

Name:	disgusting.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	512826
    Attached Files

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it looks like burned plant, like ash

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did the FECO look like that before going into melted chocolate? I've put FSHO into olive oil for a box brownie mix, the OO looked like corn oil with the FSHO mixed into it. There's a method for adding CO to melted chocolate, IIRC.

• Puglover1
      Puglover1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks like someone cleaned their bong, after a year or so.

I feel like a fraud because I'm only on my 2nd grow, but being in S. Cali and in a small semi-sheltered area that was known for growing things, it never occurred to me to do anything but an outdoor grow. I only have neighbors on one side and a typical Cali concrete-style 6' wall so no issues there. Since weed is legal, there are no problems around smell--seems weed in in the air all over Cali, and weed fits in with my overall annual grow of peppers and other veggies. So I don't bother with any stealth growing.

I can keep it organic and it's making me take a good hard look at potentially adding composting to my whole vibe. I don't smoke, but hubby appreciates the grow and I donate to friends/acquaintances for chemo or stress assistance. My biggest issue is post-harvest storage and the loss of a significant section of my patio.

It makes my head spin when I look at all the reqs for hydro. It's probably not, but seems like to me, way too much work. I relax outside watering, training, bug hunting--etc. all summer in my garden and put everything away in the fall. And it gives me satisfaction for a job well done when someone tells me they like my stuff better than the dispensaries--although that may in large part because I gave it away for free.
    :/

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      I yell FRAUD sometimes, even in a store. You're not a fraud, this is an honest post. I am with you on outdoor grows, it's very relaxing. Different climate here - always expecting at least a 50% loss to mold or caterpillars.

• Cali
      Cali commented
      Editing a comment
      No I honestly don’t think it’s because it’s free. Ever heard of you want something done right foot yourself? I feel that’s how it is with weed. Dispensary shit is not cured hardly dried properly and grown with synthetic nutrients that alone makes the bud different. I just can’t stand it any more. My friends used to come over (pre-COVID) and offer me some and I would just roll my own instead plus I vape and they like to burn which makes it that much worse burning the bud to the point where you inhale carcinogens. Someone said it’s the same thing? I think not. it’s like drinking water straight from the tap in Michigan and bottled water not the same thing I don’t care what anyone says. Lol

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      that is an interesting post by Cali , when he's talking dispensary weed is not cured properly. Well god damn - when I was in Amsterdam 20 years just about every weed I smoked in a shop there was cured improperly. This is the lazy man's SOP, get that flower out on market as fast as possible. At the same time there is some good dispensary weed - Darkhorse in Denver, Jungle Boys in LA.

I ended up choosing autos because this is my first time attempting to grow any plants and they sounded easier because the lights could be on 18/6 from seed to harvest. I also chose them because I am growing inside and the tent is only 5ft tall so I needed a plant that wouldn't grow as tall. I am doing a soil grow though. Funny thing is the more I read about autos it seems they are actually easier to mess up than photos. Seems to be going okay so far though.
    - 4'x4'x6.5' tent
    - 2 Cookiedawg, 2 Ice Cream Punch, all photoperiod, Sprouted Jan 25th
    - 5 gallon fabric pots raised about 1.5" for airflow and easy runoff cleanup
    - 2 spider farmer SF2000 at 85% 2ft over front plants much closer to back plants
    - Soil is FF Ocean Floor bottom 1/2 or so and top is FF Happy Frog
    - Water in veg was about 6.6PH and 78 degrees Fahrenheit, 6.3PH for flowering
    - RH usually around 50% Temp ranging from 78 Fahrenheit to 83 Fahrenheit
    - 6" Oscillating fan clipped to tent pole for air flow within tent
    - 6" carbon filter and fan for exhaust, 4" carbon filter and fan for intake​

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Autos can be enormous, taller than 5' - not saying that's what you have though. Autos *are* easier to mess up. A regular plant can take a helluva lot of punishment in veg state yet still be productive in flower. Frankly, I will severely punish some plants when they're in veg state to test their determination to survive. That's a test grow, not a "regular" grow where I have an expected outcome.

In disparity with regular seeds, an auto is fragile, any disturbance in veg state can punk the grow. I also dislike the inherent lack of control of veg state duration - I want to determine that, I don't want the plant to decide. All that being said I have an RQS Gorilla Glue auto finishing now. It took forever to finish. That's another thing about autos - predicting the duration of time to finish can be crap shoot because that auto strain will always have phenos that behave unexpectedly.

• SleepyTibbs
      SleepyTibbs commented
      Editing a comment
      PeterMatanzas have you ever tried or heard of Growers Choice Seeds? I am also growing Gorilla Glue Auto but it is from them. I have 2 more Gorilla Glue auto seeds and 5 Critical Purple auto from them left over but I want to try growing photos after I grow what I have.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      SleepyTibbs I haven't heard of those seeds. But when I was going into my auto project I bought Gorilla Glue auto from 4 breeders, one was RQS, another was Auto Seeds, I dont remember the others but they were mainstream. I wanted to grow out all 4 to see who's best.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X