Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Let's take a vote! What's the best growing medium? Soil? Coco? Hydro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's take a vote! What's the best growing medium? Soil? Coco? Hydro?

Let's all chime in and see what's everyone's take on what they like about their preferred growing medium!

I personally started out being blessed with some great composted super soil for my first grow, it worked great! Some good bagseeds and some starter plugs were all I needed. I popped a few seeds of different genetics (dumb) and went to growing! Like expected, they all went to different heights and different grow rates and different finish times. All I had to do though, was just water them! It was awesome! I did have some soil knats, which drove me crazy! I kept them under control, and it was manageable.

After that harvest I kept reading the DWC/bubbleponics article on GWE by Sirius and decided to try that. Boy, was I amazed! Not only did i have amazing growth rates but it was so clean! No bugs, no dirt in my house, I was in love!

I now grow entirely with bubbleponics with Hydroton as my medium, I am truly hooked!

What do you guys do?
    Last edited by Wrench&Weld; 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM.

I personally think using stonewool is the most convenient, not necessarily the best. Stonewool is very easy to keep clean and very simple to dispose. "Less is more" *less work*

Comment

• Wrench&Weld
      Wrench&Weld commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you follow the bubbleponics method with a Top feed?

• Gelato
      Gelato commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually just use rockwool for the plants whole life cycle. Very easy to clean up and not messy.

Coco loco is what I use...it's very neutral and does not build up nutes, also it's very airy. Works great with emerald harvest nutrients.

Also bugs are not attracted to it at all...the coco

Comment

Top Fed Deep Water Culture = amazing results and no mess in the house.

Comment

Wish I could give a more educated answer, but I'm in my first grow now and using soil. So far, so good!

Comment

• Wrench&Weld
          Wrench&Weld commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope all goes well my friend!

My first grow so i cant say. My seeds have spouted from their rockwool. I'll be placing them in hydroton DWC in the morn hopefully.

Comment

soil for the win win

Comment

Hey there all,

I'm a soil guy through and through. I would like to try other methods, I probably will at some point. But for now I'll stick with what I know best. Soil or soilless as it's better known.

DirtyNerd

Comment

• kingfish
              kingfish commented
              Editing a comment
              I have to agree with you Dirty Nerd. I have been growing for about 6 years and all I ever used was Dirt. So, soil it is for me.

Coco is so easy I use this medium. I do want to try HHT DWC.

Comment

I have 3 grows in peat based media and I have concluded that water management In peat moss is not working for me. If you water to 10-20% run off, you will be drowning your roots because it holds so much water for so long, and if you don't get run off, you don't know the root PH.. Also, without run off you may well underwater, as I have.

I am going to grow in coco using the 1/2 dose Floria Trio as shown on the site. My reason for changing is that I expect to be able to monitor the PH in coco much better, and also can flush to immediately correct nutrient/PH problems. (my expectation, not my experience)

Peace
              completed 7 grows
              what I have learned so far:
              environment maters more than nutrients
              at least a dab of nutrients in every watering
              effective flushing before harvest is critical to quality

Comment

Hydroton in a top drip/dwc. I'm trying a coco/living soil now. It's called Kind soil. Basically a super rich, concentrated soil that you add to the bottom of your pot, it's then filled with a base media (I use coco loco). The whole idea behind it is the roots will grow to the lower super soil and only feed on it as necessary. I think it's a great idea. We'll see how it goes.

The reason I'm changing media is mostly due to flavor profile. I've been happy with my hydro grows but I find them a bit lacking in flavor/smell. I'm trying this mostly organic version to see how it goes. If this goes well, I may switch over for good. Not having to pay for nutrients is a fantastic prospect to me. I have a feeling I will have to supplement the soil near the end.

Comment

Coco Coir ftw. Love this stuff. Hard to over water and bug resistant!

Comment

I'm a new indoor grower. I learned virtually everything from GWE. Right now I have 5 growing in a closet. 1 bubbler, 4 in " Magic dirt " and perlite. My bubbler has by far out performed the others.

Comment

• Wrench&Weld
                      Wrench&Weld commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hydro will always outperform soil in a speed test, but then again... is speed everything?

Hydro man myself, but would love to do a soil grow for the flavor and aroma!

Comment

• Wrench&Weld
                      Wrench&Weld commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Give some soil a try and see if the flavor improves over the hydro grows!

I didn't know you could grow so many different ways. I have to grow outdoors, but in cabinets, so don't know about hydro. My first two attempts were in big box "soil". Ok, but buggy and not spectacular results. GWE has some great info on growing using coco coir, got some on Amazon. Can't wait how for my next grand gardening adventure. I say no to big box "soil", never again. I hate bugs in my plants. ......boo

Comment

• Tika
                      Tika commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have tried several coco choirs. I like Platinum Cyco- using 3 parts coco and 1 part perlite (vigoro) in 5 gal Smart Pots. Indoor grower.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X