Darkness before harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Darkness before harvest

Had to buy weed today for the first time in about 2 years so it’s time to harvest. I thought I would try a few different things with this grow. First plant to come down is critical. This is the runt of 6 plants in 3gal pots. Its been battling some form of deficiency for a while now so the yield on this is much less than the rest. At lights out I moved it into my mini tent and plan to give it at least 24-48-72 hours of darkness. I’ve also tried the screw thru the stalk as I’ve read this can dramatically improve resin production, although next time I’m going to give them a full 24hrs before doing this. I’ve labelled a bud and taken some pics of the trichs (check out the giant ambers). Will post an update in a few days.

Hey MagicMike66 i have put torture to a few of my photo plants and i did see better resin i think. These were my outdoor photos and even split a trunk once on accident used nursery tape wrapped it up and she went crazy. This has to be done 2-3wks at least prior to harvest. Them were also old old growers tricks. Some will not think it's proper to do so. But then........folks tap maple right??
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot to mention your bud shots of trichs........outstanding closeups for us blurry eyed geezers LOL

• MagicMike66
      MagicMike66 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I am a bit old school so maybe why I I’ve tried it lol. Thanks, I didn’t know that about the timing of the stress. I might try it on one or 2 others as they’ve got about 2 weeks.
      I got a cheap microscope off Amazon, highly recommend it.

Just be sure to harvest one branch now so you have something to compare how those 3 dark days impact the final product. I can pretty much tell you (because I’ve done it) there will be no difference in quality/ potency and only has a benefit when the buds are not swollen and the thricomes are going amber

Comment

• MagicMike66
      MagicMike66 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I’ve taken a sample today and also one yesterday. Yet to try. Tbh I’m already thinking it’s going to be near impossible to tell if there’s any real differences as its going to be so slight that my stoner palette won’t be able to tell the difference

I also tried.48hrs of darkness on my last.harvest (1st) I and friends found NO difference

Comment

• MagicMike66
      MagicMike66 commented
      Editing a comment
      I also did it on my first harvest with 1 plant but I had nothing to compare to, so this time I should get a better idea

What is the deal with the screw in the trunk?
    Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

• MagicMike66
      MagicMike66 commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a long the lines of splitting the stem, which is meant to force the plant into making more resin.

Hey MagicMike66 and SoOrbudgal, I'm tempted by the screw stress idea but not sure I want to add another factor to the equation. This grow. Which scope did you get from big A? I was looking Weds night at them and phone macro lens kits. Close to same price. It Took me 2 hours to decide to go with the phone lenses and they arrived today so a photo session tonight after 6 with the lights on. How close was the scope and did you handhold or tripod? I bought a phone holder to screw on to my pro tripod. Does not come with a phone remote capture button. The lenses seem well built with aluminum hardware and real glass lenses. If i'm not happy with results I will buy a scope before my 30 day window so i can return the phone lenses. Thanks
    Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
    Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
    Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
    Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
    Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
    i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
    My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
    make pH correction unnecessary
    Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
    8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
    Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
    Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Originally posted by MagicMike66 View Post
    Had to buy weed today for the first time in about 2 years so it’s time to harvest. I thought I would try a few different things with this grow. First plant to come down is critical. This is the runt of 6 plants in 3gal pots. Its been battling some form of deficiency for a while now so the yield on this is much less than the rest. At lights out I moved it into my mini tent and plan to give it at least 24-48-72 hours of darkness. I’ve also tried the screw thru the stalk as I’ve read this can dramatically improve resin production, although next time I’m going to give them a full 24hrs before doing this. I’ve labelled a bud and taken some pics of the trichs (check out the giant ambers). Will post an update in a few days.
    the strain plays a big part in how the plant reacts - In my case cotton candy kush x strawberry cough was lit up but he thai x c.c.k not so much. Have a look at my recent post in show your grow. Cooler temps help also.

Comment

Well the experiment was short lived. The need for more weed took priority so this plant will be smoke to last me whilst the rest finish up. I gave her 24hrs darkness then chopped it. I plan to dry trim this this as there wasn’t much leaf on her. Buds are solid and extremely sticky.

Comment

Trimmed up this plant today. Except my first grown, my worst yield for a plant, 50g of ok-looking bud and 30 odd in popcorn. I guess it just shows what a deficiency can do to yields. On the plus side the trichs on it are ridiculous so hopefully it smokes good and lasts me a few weeks till the main harvest

Comment

Where on earth did someone ever think up screwing a plant was a good idea?

Equipment
        5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
        ———————————————————————————————————-
        1st Grow
        Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
        Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
        Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

Some claims are spurious. If you use a new product or try a new technique - and then you claim “it made no difference” OR you claim “it works” - I don’t see any evidence. What are comparing against? A plant of the same strain, from the same pack? It’s not a valid comparison. You’d have to compare clones. Two seeds from 1 pack - two seeds of the same strain - are not the same plant.

You have to compare clones to make sure the genetics are the same.

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
            PeterMatanzas commented
            Editing a comment
            EDIT: to be more exact, you’d have to compare clones from the same mother.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X