Point up or Point down??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Point up or Point down??

I have an old book that says: for best results plant seeds "point up"...but I read somewhere on this site to plant deeds "pointed end down"...
    If there is a definitely right way I would like to know....seeds these days cost too much to experiment.
    Thanks!!!

Lay it sideways it finds the way to the light. I don't stress over it really. But i will wet the soil real good let it dry a hr or so then make a shallow hole place the seed in and cover with a clear cup even used shot glasses just want soil moist and humid not cold at all.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• WGW
      WGW commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, I will try that...

Your welcome WGW best of luck to ya happy growing.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I agree with budgal, just drop them in and put a little dirt over them. I never heard of people trying to position seeds one way or the other until I joined this site and I imagine it’s a reason why so many people post about issues getting their seeds to pop. Once I take my seed out of the package, I never touch it again until it’s a plant.

Comment

• WGW
        WGW commented
        Editing a comment
        I have always tried to do what the old book said, and put them point up. I thought I had done it wrong when a few would try to sent the tap root up, and the foliage tried to grow down, that didn't work and it would die. So I am looking for other opinions. Thanks for your comment.

the taproot that comes out of the seed should be pointed in toward the soil, assuming you are using soil...
      I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

The seed splits open from the pointed end and the tap root exits there. That's why when you see a shell biting a cotyladon with the point and the round side out because it got pushed up and out that way. I don't worry about it much because usually the tap root knows which way to go. If it comes up, it may have been planted too shallow with no room to turn down. I think 3/4" hole with a sharp pencil is about right. This should only be an issue if you germ in your medium. Germ in water or a paper towel then be sure the root is pointed down.
        Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
        Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
        Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
        Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
        Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
        i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
        My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
        make pH correction unnecessary
        Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
        8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
        Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
        Semper Fidelis!

Comment

Doesn’t fucking matter omg..
          the seed will “know” what direction it’s laying in the ground and will adjust.
          upside down or another direction doesn’t fucking matter. Sow the seed in the soil in all different directions and they will come up the same way. It’s called nature ffs.
          Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
          You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• WGW
            WGW commented
            Editing a comment
            OMG! sorry to tell you, you are wrong...I have had them grow the wrong way...more than once. So it does FUCKING matter. But thanks for the friendly comment.

First off, welcome to GWE @WGW.
          Agree, doesn't matter one bit. Nature will find her way. When I'm planting a new grow I make a small hole in the soil and throw the beans in like I'm Michael Jordan throwing a 3 pointer. As long as it makes it in the hole. Nature will figure out the rest.
          5x5 Gorilla tent
          Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
          Infinity T8 exhaust fan
          Technaflora nutes
          Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

• WGW
            WGW commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your decent reply, I appreciate it.

• PLreef
            PLreef commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never had an issue with this method. I don't do the paper towel thing or germinate in water. I literally toss the bean in the hole and forget about till she pops. Will this work for everyone? I don't know but it's worked for me and I'll take that as a decent win. Good luck with your grow!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X