Buds getting crunchy and dry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Buds getting crunchy and dry

Hi, my issue is I am on week 8 day 1 and some of my plants look all crusty and dry, I think I burned them? I am not sure. I also am not sure what the solution would be for the problem. I have raised my light more, and tried to remove as many dried leaves surrounding the area and off the plant as a whole.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

5x5x6'8 tent
    1000w HPS
    2x440 cfm 1 in, 1 out
    Soil is the medium
    Remo Nutrients

What is the temperature in there ?
    how far away is that 1000w hps?
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

• DarthCHoda
      DarthCHoda commented
      Editing a comment
      The temperature is always between 16-24C. The light was at 21 Inches above the plants till about 3 days ago when I noticed the issue I am having. The light is over 30 Inches above now.
      Last edited by DarthCHoda; 04-08-2021, 05:34 AM.

Looks like they got burned from the lights, not much you can do about it now. Maybe hoping you will get to harvest. You already raised the lights, keep and eye on them
    Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
    You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

Ok, so if the bud is dried right out should I remove that, or let it ride till the healthy part is ripened? And is there any use for the burnt parts?
      Thank you for your help

Comment

• CaptainWiese91
        CaptainWiese91 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hard to say as I never tried having this issue.
        8 weeks in flower, is pretty far. It’s definitely stressed and maybe you will stress it more with just cutting of the buds.
        Can’t give you an exactly answer. But again if the bud is totally toasted, it have no use for the plant anymore.

All is not lost!

I've been experimenting with bud burn. Did it by accident last summer, when my attention was diverted by my outdoor activities, my bud pantry was full, and I simply ignored the plants.

That's when I learned I could grow with as little as 10" between light and canopy, and got as close as 6" with my Vipar Spectra 450s. It taught me I had a larger sweet spot than I had been using, and also gave me first-hand experience with burn.

What I learned is that light-burned material is harsh and unsmokable, even if it shows trichomes. So cut that stuff off ASAP. I also suspect burnt bud might be inviting bud rot. Also light burn does cut down significantly on yield. As much as 50%.

But ...

What I had left was very dense, almost like hash. It seemed like in the face of the hot light, the bud started growing in on itself to shield itself from the light. I'm not saying that is what happened, but I noticed this effect twice out of two times. Also the trichomes got less sticky, harder, and easier to work with at harvest, with little discernible degradation in high or taste.

So I'd say, trim off the burnt material and keep that stuff growing until harvest time, then let us know how it turned out.

BR
      2'x2'x5' Custom Breed & Seed Cabinet w/ 4 Roleadro flat-panel 75W lights
      2'x2'x5' Custom Seedling, Clone & Young Veg. Cabinet w/ CFL & flat panels
      2'x2'x5' Custom Veg. Cabinet with Vipar Spectra XS 1000 Dimmable
      2'x4'X6' Custom Flowering Cabinet with 2 Vipar Spectra XS 1500 Dimmable Lights

100% Perlite, 2.7- Gallon nursery pots, Fertigation method.

Miracle Gro Vegetable & Herb Fertilizer (includes Soy Protein Hydrolysates), 1 tsp./gallon as base nutrient, supplemented with standard Miracle Gro for high-nitrogen plants, and Miracle Gro Bloom Booster during Flower. A bit of Ph Down to take the edge off. Touch of Cal-Mag as well.

Comment

• DarthCHoda
        DarthCHoda commented
        Editing a comment
        Well I think I will cut some off a couple and not the others. The Gelato should be done by next Friday. The Purple I will remove the burnt ones from one of the 2 and watch the trichomes, I think that will be another 2 weeks or should have been.

I will now never hang the HPS closer than 25 Inches, and raise it last month.

Thanks for the advice too!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X