Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seedling tilting and stem purple, HOW DO I FIX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seedling tilting and stem purple, HOW DO I FIX?

I started growing my Bubblegum strain about 1 week and 4 days ago. The first few days the seedlings were put under a small fluorescent lightbulb close to the plants. The light was propped up so the plants tilted towards the light. I have since then transfered them to my tent, and just started feeding them fluratrio + calmag 2 days ago. I have noticed their stems are very dark purple. The leafs themself look decently healthy. They just have started titling even more, and are now falling. I know why this happend, but I don’t know how to fix them. Should I plant them in a 1 gallon and bury them so they straighten? Or should I tie them down and grow them with the stem resting on the soil? I have had no problems with watering, and have been giving them 6.3-6.6 ph water.... How should I fix their tilt, and the purple stem?

Well you got a decent setup from what i see but really did'nt let those seedlings get a good start which now is the problem. Most experienced growers leave those tiny seedlings under a CFL or t-5 lamp longer than you have and much closer to the lamp from day 1 of seedling coming out the soil like 3" away then adjust the lamp.

Of course this is why it's top heavy and falling over. They got NO root to hold them up when you water loosens soil fall over. Those cups would of been great for at least 2-3wks if plants were healthy. Also you needed holes in the sides of them. You don't water these much for first couple weeks and don't need ferts if they are developing leaf that's their food for several weeks.

Your in a rush or not knowing how these grow? If they were mine i'd carefully upearth them and replant deeper either in a container you can use for now or transplant later on. Yes you need to bury them deeper. Then lets all talk about what to do if they make it. Good luck, sorry if it's bummer news i have a honest no BS approach.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      This is my first grow, I appreciate the response, and The honest approach. Ive gotten alot of mixed information from google and youtube, which has lead to me making mistakes and not knowing when and what I need to do during certains stages of their growth... Should I put them into another red cup but plant them deeper? I just tied them up to a toothpick to try and hold them up for now, I have had them on a 18 hour light schedule, and the light 24 inches above the plant. Should I lower the light after I replant them? I currently have it on 50% light.

This isn't a cannabis seedling obviously, it's a pepper plant that stretched. If I have a cannabis seedling that has stretched and is having difficulty standing straight I use the top of a plastic bottle to brace the seedling, as illustrated in the picture below.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	503928

Comment

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Just remember to remove the cap when the seedling has gained some strength. You don't want to leave it there for the life of the plant, it may strangle it.

• PeterMatanzas
      PeterMatanzas commented
      Editing a comment
      Use these caps after you transplant your seedlings into pots with drainage holes, or into smart pots. You can save these plants imo.

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate this, i just tied them to a toothpick, but am considering planting them into deeper soil. Id hate to see these guys die

Personally it is to early to feed with Cal-Mag.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

Guest commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured it was too early, I have been watching Seed to stoned on YouTube from what he has said. I feel like my best option is to bury them slightly in hope of keeping them straight. Should I lower my light? Its currently on 50% 24 inches above plant

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      24 inches it's fine, dim it a little bit higher.

The purple is normal just your plant protecting its cells in stems which don’t like the light as much the plants however are very leggy they’ve toppled my friend you’ll need to replant and bury the extra stem also increase light intensity so the plants aren’t trying to stretch to reach it easiest option just lower lights I had a seedling do this it ended up ok

Comment

I appreciate this response alot! Should I plant them into a new red solo cup? Just put them deeper?

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Give them some time and nature will do it’s hing. They’ll get hard and sturdy by their own. Maybe just put the light closer do they don’t stretch any more.

I agree with Farmbuck, SoOrbudgal. and TheKieftan but it looks like you are in a super rich mulch of some kind if you have not given nutes and I think it may not be a good choice. Get them into a larger well drained pot with some other non-rich medium immediately and bury them to within 1/2 inch of the cotyledons to straighten them. Don't worry about the purple stems for now. You are going to bury them and roots will develop from those stems giving them a more stable structure. They look very nitrogen rich which is not good at this point as nutes can do more harm than good right now and for the next 2 to 3 weeks. pH adjust them to the medium you are re-potting into. Research the correct light level for your light from the manufacturers specs then adjust based on their reaction. These are very salvageable if you follow these steps. Good luck and welcome to GWE!
      Last edited by TOKABIGONE; 04-02-2021, 01:15 PM.
      Grow # 3 50/50 S/I Critical Mass photo fem
      Seeds drop in water 1/8/2022

Medium: FF Coco Loco plus 30% Perlite in 7 gal cloth bags
      Space: 30x48x62 DIY cabinet lined w/space blankets
      Lighting: Bloomspect SS1000 Quantum board x 3 - 300 watts actual draw
      Soil Supplements: Worm Castings, Crab Shell, Oyster Shell, Neem and Karanja Meal, Volcanic Basalt Dust (for minerals), Recharge root micros. Grow 3 is with reconstituted super soil to which I've added several additional minerals and supplements. A more complete list based on Cackamas Coots super soil recipe can be found in my Auto Toka thread
      i don't grow plants anymore, I grow soil that my plants can thrive in!
      My filtered tap water runs over 7.5 pH but the soil microbes
      make pH correction unnecessary
      Ventilation: Vipospar 4" Exhaust Fan w/RH controller, 12" Carbon Scrubber
      8" bottom intake fan, 6" clip on fan, 6" heater as needed
      Cabinet on screen porch. N AZ @ 4000 ft.

My salute to all who have served
      Semper Fidelis!

Comment

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        Get them in the 1 gallon or larger for now with a Better Medium. Forget the solo cups. They probably need more light than you are giving so research and adjust. Don't forget to check pH. It's one of the most critical things you can control.

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        I have them around 6.3 PH rn. I keep it under 6.9ph and above 6.0 always. I’m currently using fox farm as my soil, I read its a good soil to use. Any suggestions on mediums?

• TOKABIGONE
        TOKABIGONE commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't do soil so no expert, too many variables IMO I like coco coir as a medium because it is an inert nutritional substrate. What you give it is what it has to use, no more, no less. Total Control makes you a god to them. Use your power wisely.

Growing in soil you have the option of replanting deeper in soil to help correct the stretch. I grow in hydro with clay pebbles and have had this happen a couple of times. In my case I made supports to help hold them up while a fan blew on them making them rock around in the supports to strengthen the main stem, it worked like I wanted it to. Ran down an took couple of pictures to show what they look like.

Comment

Guest commented
        Editing a comment
        Very smart, I appreciate you reaching out today! I had some toothpicks and I got some ties from my local hydroponics store, i managed to hold them up while they are resting. I plan on getting them put into 1 gallon fabrics pots today. Hopefully all goes well! Will update this thread

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X