Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Growing outdoors in ground in zone 5 , central illinois in U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Growing outdoors in ground in zone 5 , central illinois in U.S.

I helped my son grow a few plants last year, outdoors in the garden soil. Blue dream and blueberry 420. My son, who has medical card, says they are not as potent as what he buys from clinic. I’m looking for variety recommendations for growing outdoors in ground in zone 5b. Best regards

Probably some varieties from both indica and sativa dominant.

Comment

Potency isn’t so much about the strain most weed can be potent if harvested at the correct times are you checking trichome ripeness

Comment

But if all you’re looking for is potency I think Sundae Driver is one of the highest THC strains out there

Comment

Can we legally grow outside in IL with a card? I have a 6 foot fence but I pay someone to mow the lawn. My compost bin is falling apart, the plant would never need extra calcium in that dirt. I'd like to compare an inside to outside grow of the same seeds.
        Soil: Coast of Maine Stonington Blend, perlite; Seedlings: CoM org potting soil
        Indoor: 2 x 5.5 x 8' Closet grow
        Viparspectra XS2000; EnjoYield 220W full spectrum light added during flower
        Various size fabric grow bags
        Cal-Mag & GH Trio if needed; Flower Fuel & molasses during bloom; ReCharge
        4 clip fans. Exhaust into attic is vented to the eaves
        Current grow: DEAD FLOWERS

"Joker, smoker & midnight toker, I sure don't want to hurt no one"

Comment

• TheKieftan
          TheKieftan commented
          Editing a comment
          I did some research you can definitely grow outside but there’s a few conditions you need a fenced in backyard with locking gates and the plants can’t be visible from any roads and I’m sure you know 5 plants are the limit

I'm thinking perhaps the harvest was not ready, maybe pulled to soon do to weather?
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Soybeansaregreat
          Soybeansaregreat commented
          Editing a comment
          I possibly pulled a little too soon.

So what varieties features should I look for growing outdoors in ground in zone 5?

Comment

• TheKieftan
          TheKieftan commented
          Editing a comment
          I think we have some fellow zone 5ers around maybe one will drop by this thread but from what I know of zone 5 you guys have a short space of time that’s favorable to cannabis 3-4 months with that short window I think autos might be best but this is an area I know little about I’m in zone 7 so I never have to worry about time we have 6-7 months of favorable weather here

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I would either go to the farmer almanac see when it's safe to plant tomatoes. Figure out when your last frost is and first frost, then choose a strain close to that time frame. Most of us who have been growing outdoors for years prepare for bad weather have a canopy or some sort of shelter to protect them. I don't grow in ground anymore i move my pots around as the sun moves.

I have been organic gardening for many years, just not herb. Some herb strains say how many weeks of flowering. So How long after this flowering period is harvest. Also, how long from seeding and vegetative phase before flowering phase. Our summer solstice is around middle of June and days start getting shorter. Just not sure how to determine how long different strains take overall from seeding to harvest. I know weather is a big factor. Best regards

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Got to get a jewlers loupe to check the trichomes every indoor/outdoor grower needs one. When days get shorter that triggers plant into flower. Could be few weeks see the hairs around the bud sites. I'd try autos or a short indica strain. Go for Gorilla Glue that will rock your world.

depending on forecast,I shoot for setting out tomato plants the middle of May.

on average, our risk of frost is from October 7 through April 28.

Almost certainly, however, we will receive frost from October 23 through April 13.

We are almost guaranteed that we will not get frost from May 14 through September 21.

Our frost-free growing season is around 162 days.

a friend said he waited till after frost last year to harvest one of his plants and it was fine.

we can get raining periods in the fall with cooler temperatures. I can see why you cover sometimes.

Comment

• TheKieftan
          TheKieftan commented
          Editing a comment
          That’s better than I thought ok so to answer your above question 1 flowering times don’t factor in veg I’d advise starting plants indoors something as a gardener I’m sure you’re familiar with you want your plant to be in veg a month minimum I start veg timer after a plant produces it’s first true fully formed leaf now onto flowering you’ll want to add 1-2 weeks on top of the predicted time so if a strain says it’ll flower in 7 weeks it’s likely 8-9 if it says 8-11 then it could be as long as 13 this is because these numbers are 1 based on the assumption you’ll harvest at the earliest opportunity (not recommended) and 2 the plant has been in perfect environmental conditions it’s whole life

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X