Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step Onto the Road - Grow Journal (Kit's First Grow)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Step Onto the Road - Grow Journal (Kit's First Grow)

Hi everyone! I'm Kit, and other than reading GWE posts repeatedly I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm determined to grow my own meds, so here we go...

Put seeds in moist peat pellets to germinate today (3/25/21)
    Dutch Passion Auto White Widow (white tie)
    Dutch Passion Auto Lemon Kix (green tie)
    Seedsman Northern Lights Auto (red tie)

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210325_225030668.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	501816

Planning to grow in a similar setup to the linked GWE tutorial - I just have a 2x2x4 tent instead, so I had the head room to hang my fan from the ceiling, then run ducting out the top port and down the side to my carbon filter set on the floor. I also could only afford one light right now, so I've got the HLG 100Rspec in there. Am I the only one who hates how the section of cord between the extremely lightweight light board and the very heavy power brick is so damn short? I finally jury rigged it so the brick is also hanging from the top of the tent bars, but I have to have the angle just right or it moves my light out of alignment :/

Name:	PXL_20210325_230430578.NIGHT.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	4.09 MB
ID:	501817

Anyway, despite my equipment frustrations, I'm really excited to finally be starting!
    ​​​​
    A mini grow tent is surprisingly stealthy and grows a significant amount of cannabis (without a lot of electricity). Curious about growing weed? Start here!

Hi paladinkit and welcome to the forum. I wish that cord was long enough to place the driver outside the tent so your not alone on that one.

Good luck and happy growing.
    You're killing me Smalls!

Comment

• paladinkit
      paladinkit commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!!!

To give you more room above you could place just the end of your ducting at the opening in the tent, having both your fan and filter outside.
    https://www.acinfinity.com/pages/tec...ion-guide.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	D5111945-2B5E-4B76-9303-AFDDE8AE063F.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	73.3 KB ID:	501981

With that out of the way you can replace the stock wires all together, then use 4 rope hangers at each corner of your light. This would allow you to pull your light all the way up closer the ceiling. Use rope hangers with the metal gears, not plastic.

Last edited by MrPNW; 03-26-2021, 12:52 AM.

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

• paladinkit
      paladinkit commented
      Editing a comment
      See, I thought about putting the fan outside too, but I had understood that would make it quite a bit louder? And rn the only room that has space for my tent is the home office/spare bedroom, where my wife makes phone calls all day, so I was trying to minimize the noise inconvenience. I can try running the fan outside and see how much it bothers her, though!

The light did say in its box instructions that it wants 12" of clearance above... But as I review the tutorial post, she definitely gets the light up to the top of the tent at one point. Hm. I'm gonna have to read up more on that bc I'd like the stretch space for my plants but not at the risk of setting our house on fire.

No pops yet, just excessive thinking about lights. In said excessive thinking, I reviewed that microgrow tutorial post again paying more attention to the photos to try to guess how close to the top of the tent those lights were placed, and look what I spotted!

Name:	hydro-dwc-mini-tent-sm.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	502120
    (nebula's photo)

The driver rested on top of the light board!!!

This is visible in multiple pics from different grows in that article, this is just the clearest one. My instinct is if it was set up this way for multiple grows it's probably less dangerous for the board than I assumed it was.. And honestly, while I don't want to be out that money immediately, I'm so frustrated with *many* aspects of this board's design that I won't grieve if it's lifespan is just a little shorter. So later I'm going to beg my wife into helping me reconfigure the light setup and make it a little less crazy.

Comment

• paladinkit
      paladinkit commented
      Editing a comment
      I figured the driver generating heat could be a problem, since it looks a lot like the power bricks on say laptop chargers... but yeah, unless I can find an alternative cord I'm just going to have to work around that. I've seen people discussing diy power cord mods for issues like this but I know just enough about electrical work to know that is NOT within my skill or comfort level, lol

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally within your skills. It’s not a hard modification to lengthen a cord. It’s DC power for LED lights, all you need is a length of 16 gauge wire and some wire connectors. Cut the cord in half...expose wire ends...connect new wire in the middle with Wago connectors.

That cord looks thick like it’s moving thousands of volts, but it’s not.

• paladinkit
      paladinkit commented
      Editing a comment
      I appreciate you trying to encourage me! I did sincerely mean it about the skills though, and I'd also appreciate it if you'd take me at my word on it. I have disabled unsteady hands and not enough physical or mental energy to put into learning electrical safety work right now. I will save this idea for if I can get assistance with modding my light in the future

Bad news:

The driver was definitely way too hot too keep in the tent. Over a period of about 18 hours it went up to 95F in there, with my little germination pods all roasted :/ So I spent a part of today fighting yet again to reconfigure the light. I had to move a table, find a support box, run the wire out a side port i hadn't intended to use, and now I *absolutely* can't move the light like this, but I've finally got the driver out of the tent but the light still plugged in. I'm running the tent empty to test, and after 5 hours it's been pretty steady in the 85F zone.

Good news:

Despite the parching heat wave they went through, it looks like the Lemon Kix is trying to pop! So I'm going to cross my fingers and keep nursing the pods along a little longer to see if anything survived. It would be nice if I didn't achieve a TPK during germination of all things.

Comment

WOW did not think those lights would put out that heat i mean the driver anyway. How interesting to hear that so sorry about the dilema I seen pictures of those drivers just dangling outside a port hole?
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• paladinkit
        paladinkit commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't think it would put out that much heat either! If I let it dangle it pulled the light sideways, so I moved a table next up to the tent and stacked some boxes so I can rest the driver securely just outside the port & not cause any tension issues on the power line.

It's steady right around 80F after about 18 hours with the driver out and the fan on high... and it's also only 20% RH. So next step is setting up a humidifier because wow no.

Well if it keeps it at those temps 80f is perfect. Yes my humidity is very low also cause it's our heating system woodstove. I do not use a humidifier frankly probley why my buds are slower to fatten as much. I like the cool temps on lights out during winter grows this helps. Don't let that fan blow directly on those plants it's like desert wind OK.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Name:	PXL_20210330_202037272.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	503215

Humidifier is magic It's helping the tent stay cooler during the hottest part of the day too

Name:	PXL_20210330_202126111.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	2.34 MB
ID:	503214 ​​​

And all three girls are showing little signs of movement! Hard to see in the picture, but I can see changes even from this morning.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          I see something poking out good news

All three girls are alive and doing their best! I'm not sure how old they are technically - I planted the seeds on the 25th, and they started poking out of the jiffy plugs on the 29th & 30th respectively. I transplanted them to solo cups and gave them their first feeding/watering on the 1st.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210409_155354550.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.47 MB ID:	505948Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210409_155425345.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.35 MB ID:	505949

I do think, after a week in the solo cups, that I maybe didn't put enough drainage holes in the bottom of the cups, so that's going to be a project for this evening. Once they've outgrown the cups they're going into fabric pots, but I don't want to stunt them before that point!
        Last edited by paladinkit; 04-09-2021, 01:04 PM. Reason: Correcting & adding dates for my future reference.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Goodmorning way to grow Here's some advice from another auto learner. Autos waste no time so before long maybe a week they will need to be in there final pot. It's why most not all but most who do autos go from sprout to final pot. But i have transplanted autos and they did fine as long as the roots are not damaged when holding and transplanting. This will make them slow down do to shock. You will learn this as you grow them more. Have you seen the post on auto training/growing going on right now?

• paladinkit
          paladinkit commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the advice! I was planning on giving them no more than another week in the solo cups I just don't want to cause them any more problems than I already have with figuring out what correct watering looks like in practice rather than just reading about it.

I did see that thread! I'm going to take a closer look later, not sure yet what training I want to try for this grow but I do want to do something for a more flat canopy.

Hey folks! The girls are three weeks old today and doing their best I gave them nutrient water today and got some pictures and a close look at them, and I had some questions:

1) this girl (my white widow auto) has been smaller and a little less perfectly symmetrical all her life, I thought due to the fact that her seed casing was stuck over both cotyledons for I think two or three days after the stem pushed the whole thing above ground. However, over the last 24 hours or so these marks started appearing on the leaves, and I don't know what they are?

Name:	PXL_20210420_161222029.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	2.56 MB
ID:	509136Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210420_161234377.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	509137

2) I've started giving them nutrients every watering rather than every other because of the paler lower leaves these other girls have. Other than that, do these girls look ok? (Northern lights auto & lemon kix auto)

Name:	PXL_20210420_161247930.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	509138Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210420_161242786.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	509139

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
          SoOrbudgal commented
          Editing a comment
          Afternoon here in Oregon, sorry your little gals are not happy. I see a few issues not sure why some growers are not filling up the grow bags with soil less room now for roots, been seeing this on a few grows? I do not grow in straight coco an perilite i mix it with my composted soil i make along with wormcasings. I saw where you said you did a double feed perhaps they were too young to handle it? I myself use a simple nutients for my plants so i don't feed bloom till i see budlets cause the soil i use is enriched and autos unless your familiar with them don't like heavy doses when young.

If they were mine i would do this....take the whole pot to a sink and run a slow gallon of water only threw them really soak and drain that out, let them rest dim the light if it has one, give them a rest from the lamp for several hours. How's the temps now?

They barely look okay - closer to being not okay - me thinks you have a pH problem beginning.
        ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
        Mars Hydro
        Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

So I definitely
          1) did have ph issues alllllll grow (although with a local friend's help I know what I wanna do differently next time)
          2) did forget to update this journal at all
          3) did keep my plants alive long enough to get deep into flowering regardless!

It's week 11 as of today, and for all that it is probably gonna be a game of seeing how long I can stretch their lives to reach the latest possible harvest time, I'm honestly happy because I expected my first grow to go worse than this.

Comment

• Puglover1
            Puglover1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, I didn't see your thread until now. Congrats on getting this far. Which plant is your NL? Nice nugs growing in front, still have time to go. If I'd seen this earlier, I had bought a box of heavy duty cord extensions, thick and black like the lights, from amazon. I used them for wall mount TVs that couldn't quite reach the outlet, used one for my grow, the extension cord couldn't reach my timer, I've given some away, they really come in handy. You could connect enough of them to reach your desired outlet. Are you still feeding nutes to all? How's your pH? Fun, isn't it?

• paladinkit
            paladinkit commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi! And thanks The NL is featured in the 3rd and 5th closeups, and is in the back right of the group photo. I'm still giving nutes for one more week according to my chart (from GWE although I don't remember what article as I downloaded the PDF months ago), although I might extend that longer depending on how the trichome closeups look as time passes.
            Last edited by paladinkit; 06-11-2021, 07:54 AM. Reason: Posted too soon!

My girls have definitely been slow to mature, but I finally called it for 2 out of the 3 - today we took down the lemon Kix and the white widow. Now the NL gal can just stretch her arms and take her sweet sweet time!

Planting to harvest for these two; 105 days

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
            SoOrbudgal commented
            Editing a comment
            And this is the way we've learned to grow trial an error and remember what not to do next grow. At least you get to harvest and did'nt give up kudos paladinkit. I've learned not to over love these plants and each strain has different appitite for food/nutes. Time to start more seeds now LOL

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X