Nute changes in my RDWC setup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Nute changes in my RDWC setup.

This is for those considering building their own RDWC system. In the grow journal posts I tend to leave out the mundane stuff but sometimes its helpful for me when someone does go ahead and detail the nuts and bolts of making something work. This is the setup being used for Project Psychonaut. It has a kitty litter bucket reservoir and six grow buckets. A pump in the reservoir keeps the nutrient solution circulating gently through the whole system. The nice thing about this is that the same pump that moves the nutes through the system is also good for pumping water out rapidly.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3607.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	500110
    This is the reservoir when just starting to drain and refill. I've removed the lid already and disconnected the tube from the pump. The nute solution is brown because of all the tannins in the Aurora Soul nutes that I use. A nice side effect is a ring showing how high to fill it. I remove the filter and cover from the pump and rinse them out separately. This lets the pump pick up crud from the reservoir and eject it from the system. I don't have much of a problem with debris now but I did in the days when I had plants transferred from coco growing in my hydro setups.

Name:	IMG_3609.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	500111Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3608.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	500112Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3610.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	500113
    I use some flexible tubing left over from making the setup for the drain hose. It just slips over the nipple on top of the pump and the rest goes into a leftover piece of PVC pipe to my basement floor drain - another benefit of growing in a basement!

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	500115Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3613.JPG
Views:	228
Size:	2.32 MB
ID:	500114Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3614.JPG
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	500116
    Most important before starting the whole procedure is unplugging the pump! I keep my power strip tied to a tent post way above the tent floor. I found the loop of cord from my oscillating fan is perfect for holding the pump plug in place when unplugged. By an extraordinarily convenient coincidence, the irrigation tubing I used fits neatly inside the garden hose I use for refilling. I plug the pump back in after the drain hose is ready. At center is where just about all I'm going to get out is gone, so I unplug the pump again and turn the water on. At right, I've overfilled it up to the grommets. This is to wash any clinging debris off the roots that are at or just above the normal water level. Doing this likely helped to save the lone male in Project Sam after a bout with root rot.

Name:	IMG_3617.JPG
Views:	226
Size:	1.98 MB
ID:	500118Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616.JPG
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	500119
    At left, I've plugged the pump back in and drained it once again. At right, I often fill it again just above the return pipes and drain again until I'm satisfied that the system is clean enough.

Name:	IMG_3618.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	500122Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3619.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	500121Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3620.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	500120
    Here, I've replaced the filter and cover for final refilling after removing the drain hose. I then refill to the stain line and reconnect the tube to the pump then plug the pump in again. I'm now ready to add nutes and adjust pH.

Yes, I have a big hole for the pump's power cord. I usually keep some tape over it but it fell off before this photo shoot. I'd like to find a grommet that will work but it would have to be split so I can remove and reinsert the pump cord with its big plug end. I suspect that the tannins in the nutes help keep root rot from happening. The only cases I've had in these setups happened because of transferring plants from coco with bits of it still stuck in the root ball. The stuff collected in the tubes and polluted the nute solution until I got religious about blasting it out. It even attacked plants not started in coco until it was all gone.

Attached Files
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Great explainations i don't do this type of grow but it's so good for those who want to try it. It looks like alot of work but i'm sure you are comfortable with all this equiptment. I know this is the way to go for MJ i've been told many times. Once you get a hang of it it's faster than soil. I just can't seem to leave my " dirt "
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• UndergroundFarmer
      UndergroundFarmer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Honestly, it's only much work on feeding day. The other days of the week I'm only needed about five minutes a day to maintain pH and eyeball the plant's condition. I could probably fix something up with valves and fittings to make draining and refilling it even less work - but this works the way it is and I like the simplicity.
      Also, if I could, I'd grow outside in dirt organically but this city living prohibits that.

Great explanation of your setup and how you do routine maintenance 👍🏻

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X