Too hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too hot

Hello everyone. Hope everybody is doing well. First post on here. Hope I'm doing it right. I have a light question and I'm hoping somebody can help me. I have the hlg 260 R-Spec kit and my tent is getting too hot. I would like to move the driver to the outside of the tent. But I've read mixed reviews. Some say 14 AUG some say 18 AUG. One person said use mtw wire. Another one said they had to run a separate ground. I want to run the driver probably 10 ft away from my tent and have no idea what I'm doing :-) If anybody has any ideas I do appreciate the feedback. Thank you very much for your time

From an electrician, hire you an electrician or barter with some weed.
    If you think about it you probably know somebody.
    2X4X6 Quictent
    1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
    600w LED (80)
    1000w LED (180)
    2 X Viparspectra P-1000
    2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
    6" battery/usb fans
    Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
    GH trio with Calimagic
    Lung room humidifier
    3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
    ArmorSi, kelp when needed
    Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
    Northern Lights auto
    (Seedsman)
    auto 00 Kush
    (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
    2x Northern lights auto
    1 auto 00 Kush
    1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
    Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Go with 14 AWG wire. You can use Wago connectors for easy connections.

Cut existing wire between the driver and the lamp.
      Use wago connectors to put new length of wire in place.

It’s a very easy modification. Don’t be worried about doing it yourself as there is almost no way to screw it up 👍
      Last edited by YYCannabis; 03-15-2021, 10:05 PM. Reason: Corrected wire size
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Bigger wire is safer as it will heat less under load, and the voltage will not drop as much across it.

Comment

To myself, this is a simple fix. I’d find a extension cord long enough thats rated for the load plus some extra overhead juice, strip it, splice it snd move the driver. But if your asking questions then I’d take Catfish22’s advice.

Comment

YYCannabis The 14 awg wire should it be braided or solid? Should there be a ground from the driver to the quantum board?( I don't know why there would be there isn't one now but I figured I would ask) will the 14 awg wire fit inside the quantum board clips? The 18 awg i put in there seemed pretty snug. I do apologize for the 20 questions. I bought all the different pieces and put this light together myself and decided to remove the driver outside the tent. I was on a different forum and the guy I was talking to I'm not quite sure if he knows what he's talking about. He told me I needed to get mtw wire because the wire might break. Thank you again for everybody's input

Comment

• YYCannabis
            YYCannabis commented
            Editing a comment
            I have no idea what their clips look like. In that pic, looks like the connectors are easy to access. Look at what wires go from the connector to the board and match what is used (14/2 or 18/2). I believe the wires from the power supply are stranded, so if Honeywell is using stranded on their product, it would imply that stranded wire is acceptable.

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Make the wire stranded, solid wire breaks if bent to many times and stranded caries more current. The MTW wire would be good (the finer the strands are the more it will flex) I cant tell from here if the larger wire will fit easily into the terminal. As for the ground, if the driver mounted to the fixture it could have an internal ground, the light will burn without it, but it may give RF noise then the ground would be needed.

I bought the 18 awg wire myself from Amazon. And used Wago clips to connect the 18 awg wire to the big cord coming off of the driver. And then by the power cord and spliced it to the other side. I can't see the wires because they're inside a coated wire. The coated wire off the driver says 300 volt 2× 17 awg 1.04 mm. So I'm assuming it's 17 and not 18. I'm not seeing much options for 17 on Amazon. Would dropping it down to a 16 make a difference? Or should I look harder on Amazon for a 17 awg?

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes go up in size to 16 AWG, 17 is not used in the USA as far as I know (never heard of 17 AWG). Also look local at electric supply shops (for industry) you'll likely find it much cheaper and have it today.

• YYCannabis
            YYCannabis commented
            Editing a comment
            You somewhat answered your own question 😁. Use 16 wire as it is rated for higher voltage 👍

I figured as much I just want to make sure. Thank you everybody for your time I do appreciate it

Comment

Rwise YYCannabis good morning gentleman. I know it's been a couple weeks but I'm back at trying to get my driver outside of the tent. This is the wire I got in the mail. What do you guys think? Do you think this will hold up?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yup.its exactly what you need.
              There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
              1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
              2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
              3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

You very much for your feedback. Happy growing :-)

Comment

Thats perfect.
                  5x5 Gorilla tent
                  Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
                  Infinity T8 exhaust fan
                  Technaflora nutes
                  Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

That'll get 'er done!

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                    X