Disappointment and Resolve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disappointment and Resolve

Hey guys. I just finished my first grow and boy am I disappointed. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations, but when all is said and done I think I’ll end up with 2.5 or 3 ounces of bud and a small/medium chunk of bubble hash, and this is off of 2 plants that I’ve trained thoroughly with scrogging under a high quality LED light pulling 615 watts from the wall, and the buds I did get were small and, worst of all, light, airy, and larfy. I don’t know what I did wrong... I nurtured them obsessively, I cared for them daily and researched non-stop, always learning. I used what I believe are only top quality ingredients and equipment. I meticulously pH corrected my water and nutrients. I took care to not over or under water. I maintained what I believed to be ideal temperature and humidity. I was lucky enough to not have any bug infestations or major bad events. I’m going to put the full details of my grow at the bottom of this post... maybe someone has some suggestions or ideas as to what might have happened.

But, I am also resolved to do much better in my next grow. Unlike the first, I’m going to only train using LST, and this one will be two autos, specifically OG Kush auto from Nirvana seeds, grown in FFOF/Nature’s Living Soil. Maybe I trained my first plants too hard and stressed them. They did start to grow some nanners towards the end.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me over the past several months. Despite my really disappointing results, I have still learned a lot from you all and truly enjoyed talking with you. This is a life-long hobby for me, so I will try to turn this disappointment into a learning experience.

First (disappointing) grow full details:

2 x Girl Scout Cookies photoperiod from Nirvana Seeds

Medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil/perlite grown in 5 gallon fabric pots

Nutrients: Fox Farm full dirty dozen regimen

Light: Black Dog LED PhytoMAX-2 600 (615 watts from the wall)

Environment: 4’x4’ Gorilla Grow Tent, typical day time at canopy level: upper 70s and 40-45% RH, night time: upper 60s and same humidity

Time frame: Vegged early November to early January, Flowered until early March

Considering my first grow 16yrs ago was a open grow in a spare bedroom to which the light coming in under the door never occurred to me that all of my hard work would produce hermies that were full of seeds, I’d say pat yourself on the back because you hopefully have enough smoke to get you through until next harvest. trust the process, it’ll get better. Plus you have GWE and the internet to help 😉

Im wondering if you had your light to high above canopy or if your ScrOG was really a trellis for the tops to go through. Would have to see pics
    Last edited by bboyfromwayback; 03-14-2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Rik
      Rik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for providing some great perspective! Good questions. I am aware that many times a scrog grow is not really a scrog but just branches going through a trellis. I think I scrogged correctly but might have stressed them a little. But more than that, I was really scared of light burn and I think I erred too much on the side of the light being too high. I think I should have put the light lower.

I had a similar experience with my first grow. I figured there were three things that could have caused it:

1) Burple light
    2) Didn’t remove larfy bud under scrog netting
    3) genetics

I swapped my light out to a Mars Hydro SP3000 and my second grow is looking much better(different strain). Black dog lights have a good reputation, so that leaves #2 or #3 as possible causes.

There is definitely a fairly steep learning curve to this hobby. I already am thinking about what I will do differently my next grow.

Comment

I have little experience with autos but the key to get hard dense buds it’s genetics. I can tell you how og Kush grows. It’s lanky between nodes and very stretchy but the buds are solid and dense. Now to make that strain autoflower i guess it had to be a sacrifice in shape and structure in order to get the auto genes. Meaning what they usually do with autos is to try to get the same terpene profile and potency but almost never focus on shape and structure. All autos tend to look like big bushy colas with no space between buds and elongated spear like buds. Just keep in mind autos may not be the solution to airy buds.

Comment

• Canuck147
        Canuck147 commented
        Editing a comment
        You nailed the description of OG Kush 9fingers - I have grown the auto version and they usually shoot up to 4 feet tall with lots of spacing between nodes.

• Rik
        Rik commented
        Editing a comment
        Very interesting, good to know that description of the OG Kush. Luckily I’ve got a good amount of vertical space available.

This may help you with your second grow:

Grams of dried product/square foot of canopy:

The industry benchmark, this formula allows you to get the most basic measure of your yield. Your square footage is simply the length of your canopy coverage multiplied by its width. Divide your total dried product weight by the square footage, and you will get your yield per square foot.
      Formula: Total dried product weight ÷ Square footage of canopy = Yield per square foot

The bigger the number, the better the yield. It’s not the most accurate measure, as it doesn’t account for cycles per year – someone could have a tremendous yield/sq. ft., but if they are only turning two cycles/year, they are likely not producing as much as someone with a lower yield/sq. ft. who turns six cycles/year. Still, it is the most commonly used measure to compare crop yields. (72% of research participants indicated that they measure yield per square foot.)

I don't go with the breeder's yield. There are too many factors to consider.

When they say yield of 400 - 500 g/m² in SOG on average, well I take it with a grain of salt. Like how many plants per square meter, the medium, the environment, the strain etc..
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• Rik
        Rik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for that! I guess I wasn’t quite as much disappointed by the total weight as I was with the larfy and light quality of the buds. With the amount that I smoke, I think I would be more than fine with moderate auto-sized yields, I just want to learn how to produce good quality buds, even if there’s not pounds and pounds of them.

He was growing photos now wants to try at autos. I grew all photo plants when i began indoor growing 4yrs ago. They to me are much more practical for new indoor growers to learn on. But this is my opinion. Folks have seen all these great grows on here then get disappointed when there very first grow or two is low quality.

You have all the makings for great grows with your equipment. Most the time i see folks who over do there nutes don't understand what rates and watering to give them. I would not give up on using photos as a learning strain. Really i think you pulled those to early and over thought what you were doing. Nothing is perfect or easy when learning a new skill. Patience and being comfortable and confident within your grow space not anyone else. Good luck if you give the autos a go, lots of folks here willing to help.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        Great point! I grow autos, but I don’t expect much out of them. If I’m surprised yay. Generally I’m mad I wasted the space and watts on them lol

• Rik
        Rik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, I think you’re right about seeing pro outcomes in this site and expecting that would just automatically happen for me too. I also think I might have fed too much nutes, I just used the Fox Farm schedule at full strength. That will be taken care of with my next grow since it’ll just be ocean forest and nature’s living soil. I don’t plan on growing only autos from here on out, I just wanted to try it out for this next grow. I already have the seeds so I’ll stick with that plan, but depending on how it goes I might go back to photoperiods afterwards.

• Rik
        Rik commented
        Editing a comment
        SoOrbudgal, do you think I harvested too early based on my previous posts asking if I should harvest, or based on the rough timeline I provided in this post? Just trying to learn for the future. Thanks!

Not knowing your expectations of the grow I'd throw this evaluation you way...Assuming you ONLY get 2 ounces of good meds and some lesser stuff for the trim bin...Also assuming an ounce of weed "retails" for more that $200 USD...then you just made $400...how much do you have invested in $ so far? I'd guess if you didn't break even yet you will soon. And every harvest after this is free weed!
      TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
      EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
      AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
      IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

Comment

• Rik
        Rik commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually, from a purely financial perspective, I am still way way in the red. Between the light and everything else, I am still way in the hole, but that’s okay because I don’t expect to break even any time soon. I started this hobby because I just think it’s the coolest thing in the world to grow your own super dank bud! But yeah, I know that eventually, maybe years from now, I’ll pass the break even point and it’ll all have made economic sense as well as been a lot of fun

Wow, tons of great responses here. Thanks for providing some much needed perspective. I think I was overconfident, and seeing tons of seasoned pros with out-of-this-world grows made it feel like that’s everyone’s experience every time.

I wasn’t sure about trying an auto for my second grow, but I already have the seeds in hand so I’ll continue with that plan. Looking forward to lots more fun, experimentation, and learning with you guys!

Comment

Yo dude, it sounds like you got the major basics covered absolutely fine - if it's any extra help, the only 2 additional things i would question is firstly that you didn't mention about your actual air intake or extraction?? The only thing that i thought from your description was, do they need more fresh air; as although you say temp & humidity been fine, air flow is a separate issue. Have you got an exhaust fan and/or how else do you ventilate tent? When everything else is in place like you say, the only other reason i can think of for slowed growth is air supply.

Otherwise, the only 2nd thing i was gonna suggest is, although it's probably a less likely cause, is have you checked when lights off that there are no light leaks whatsoever in the tent, no external lights shining on it and none of your equipment in tent is shining any Power On LEDs?? Reason i say this is although the more general, talked about symptoms of light leaks will be visible problems like hermie or obvious stress, with good, strong genetics like Nirvana (plus though I've never done it, I'd guess GSC to not be a delicate strain), a plant could be seriously light leaked and be strong enough it only causes interruption to/slows growth causing smaller buds, rather than going visibly hermie/stress mad like weaker genetics or more delicate strains would. Again, it could be rubbish suggestion, but I'd say possibly worth a double check for next time dude.
        ​​​​

Comment

• DaGreenBlazer
          DaGreenBlazer commented
          Editing a comment
          Yo dude, thanks for the detailed reply and is all interesting to hear cheers! It sound like you got ventilation sorted ok, as that fan is moving enough air to cover the size ok, and if you got negative pressure suck-in going on then air supply shouldn't be any issue. Like you say, possibly circulating over the colas may help abit next time, though from the sounds of how well you got it set it up, i don't think air supply/circulation is the issue causing smaller buds - sorry dude not to have answered it on that level!

Possibly though yes, light leaks may be responsible though i couldn't say for sure tbh, and only thing is i agree that yep it's good idea to double check is light proof for next time anyway.

Otherwise than that i guess you just chalk it all up to experience and still pulling the smokeable amount you did is a great result for first time still, so don't be too disheartened dude! You sound intelligent, committed and eager to succeed, so I'm sure you will - you've got the first grow under your belt already and the 2nd, 3rd, 4th,etc ones will all improve as you continue!

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          Rik what do you do to deal with the humidity blowing back into the room? Are you running a separate dehumidifier?

I ask because, like you, winters are cold and watching the cloud of vapor blow out from my shed is frustrating. And Mrs. YYC doesn’t want me running any more power on the electrical bill, so i gotta find a way to retain the heat and dehumidify the air.

• Rik
          Rik commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey YYCannabis, so the grow took place in the winter, so the house furnace was on the whole time, meaning the air was naturally real dry, so I didn’t need to run a dehumidifier. But I do have a dehumidifier by the tent which I expect to need soon for the second grow. That would take care of your heat retention and dehumidifying needs, right?

First grow is the steepest part of the learning curve. When you started, you had no idea what to actually *look* for in plant health. No idea how to check for leaf color variances etc...we all learned the same way.

Your second grow will now be the one that starts to make you believe your expectations are reachable, and maybe even surpass them 👍 Patience and diligence is how you succeed.
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Rik
          Rik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the encouragement bud! Definitely looking forward to recognizing all these sorts of advanced signs.

The way I see is if it you get anything that’s half decent to smoke on your first grow, then it’s a success. Now you have a much better understanding of the plant and it’s life cycle, I can guarantee your grows will only get better from now on.

Comment

• Rik
          Rik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the encouragement MagicMike66, I’m sure you’re right about that!

Over an oz per plant on your first harvest is amazing! Good job!
        I’m gonna attach a pic of my first plant last summer I harvested, and after you stop laughing, give yourself a pat on the back😂
        if you’re looking for ways to improve, it’s definitely going to get better👍
        Attached Files

Comment

• Rik
          Rik commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks lalaland, but I gotta say I think that your plant there is pretty cool looking, regardless of bud size. Plus how cool is it you get to grow outdoors! Here in the Missouri, trying to grow outdoors like trying to grow on Mars. Appreciate your feedback!

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          I still have the top kola from my very first plant i harvested stored in a jar. I think it weighed about 4 grams, and the rest of the plant was even less than that. It’s always one thing to read articles about how to grow, but the experience of getting through the first one is worth more than reading 1000 websites.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X