Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ascorbic acid to remove chloramine?

Hey folks,
    Any tips on removing chloramine from tap water? Preferably an organic solution that doesn’t kill the good stuff in my soil.

Thinking of trying vitamin c / ascorbic acid powder. My city water pH is 8.9 and the chloramine doesn’t evaporate like chlorine does. I’ve used lemon juice to lower pH but don’t know if that gets rid of chloramine.

Thanks for your input, peace.
    Organic, coco & soil, 240w LED, 3 gallon fabric pots, basement grow in tent.

Use an air pump and stone to bubble the water for an hour.
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Air stones and bubbles do not get rid of chloramine, however lemon or lime juice, Vitamin C tabs, or ascorbic acid will kill both chloramine and chlorine instantly. You can get a shower head that loads with V-C tabs to kill it in the shower. I find in my tests here that this will give only a temporary PH down. I use lemon juice to kill the bads, then let the water set for 12 hours and test its PH (back to the 7.1 I started at 12 hours ago). Now I drop in Black Strap Molasses and drop the PH to 6.3-6.7 range, let it set 12 more hours and the PH is still at 6.3-6.7 range (right where it was 12 hours ago), now I am comfortable the PH will not (drastically) change in the soil.
      I would call your water provider and confirm that PH, my provider wants 7.0, at the tap I get 7.1-7.3, and also which chems they use.
      Do remember that acid is a PH down.

Comment

My bad. I read it as chlorine and not chloramine.
        There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
        1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
        2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
        3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

The stuff they use for fish tank water work instantly and its cheap

Comment

• Rwise
            Rwise commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes it's just an acid.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Yo dude, i recently purchased a little brand bottle of chloro killer called Ecothrive Neutralise and that's pretty much just an orange concentrate/citric acid, so i would guess any similar formulation would work just the same.

The applications instructions on my 50ml bottle say 1 pipette drop per 1 litre - i do put 2 or 3 drops in usually, and all seems improved by it's application overall - only thing I'd say is have a look into how much powder, etc to mix in as I would guess it shouldn't need too much per L - an ascorbic acid overload is probably not the worst thing it could receive, tho I'm not expert enough on ph to know if that would be badly affected tbh.

Comment

• Cheeba
              Cheeba commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks blazer. Do you use that for soil or hydro?

• DaGreenBlazer
              DaGreenBlazer commented
              Editing a comment
              I use it for soil dude - currently just trying out a new one called GuanoKalong Complete Soil Mix, which the babies seem to be loving!!

Is first time i ever used a Chloro killer and has definitely helped reduce all the leaf spots & leaves are alot more glossy & shiny. I have also started adding separate bat guano top dressings, so this does blur the contrast abit, though the lack of chloro's is definitely part of the help I'm sure.

Hope you find a good solution, as i love DIY too, though tbh the little 50ml bottle i got was only like $6 and will probably last me over a year, so if you wanna cheat, it's quick & convenient with the dropper bottle.

Well I have the ascorbic acid powder, need to figure out what amount will remove chloramine 3 ppm in 1 gallon of water.

I was told there’d be no math involved lol.

Comment

For 3 gallons I use about a rice size grain worth of powder is enough or to much I don’t know haven’t test it but I have no issues in living soil.

Comment

• Cheeba
                Cheeba commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know, thanks. 1/10th of a teaspoon was way too much for 1 gallon, at least pH wise.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X