In defence of Autos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In defence of Autos

Maybe I'm just an old 60's hippie and we tried to spread peace and nature, the thought of trying to exploit this plant baffles me. This is my 7th. yr. growing and first yr. indoors, always had autos. I had problems the first few years,but once i learned what they needed,I sat back and watched nature do her thing. Why is there such a push for giant yields, mutilated plants, defoliating, and drowning in chemicals. With the ever changing laws and attitudes there is no need unless you grow commercial or black market. I believe we are removing the natural goodness from the plant's medical benifit and jam it in with al l the rest of the GMO plants. So in defence of auto they are undemanding,easy, fast, and one or two plants can give you enough to last through the next grow{10 weeks} I may be wrong......who knows......PEACE

I don’t think autos are any easier or harder to grow than photos. The only difference is the time it takes to adjust the light from 18/6 to 12/12 (if you’re growing photos). Other than that, a person only has to keep a close eye on autos to spot when it decides to go into flower and adjust feeding to match.
    (Full disclosure: I’ve only grown autos. Photos will be my next garden)
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Giant yields ? Because I smoke over 100g for myself every month.
      So I need giant yields.
      there is a long way from synthetic fertilizer to a GMO plant in my opinion. You don’t modify the genes with using synthetic fertilizer for example.
      GMO is completely banned in my lovely Kingdom of Denmark. And people who eat GMO products are getting cancer in the end. Period
      Just because people are over 50 doesn’t mean they know everything.
      You can teach a old dog new tricks - But it will still think the old ways are the “best” lol

Comment

I hear what your saying buffalobuds . This is what happens i guess now a days when it's becoming legal. You and me and thousands of others thinking like wise. In defense of training it's personnel preference. And if you feel like you can work the plant to the best of it's abilities than i do. I for one can not do just 2 it only last me 1 month which is why i grow photos also.

It's a skilled trade to me like teaching welding but it's farming. Some new innovations are good and helpful some i toss to the wind. I feel for young folks who look at this new booming business and believe they need all the fluff stuff. It's all about the money and i do think also there are very good farms who do not use anything but organics to build the soil and use nothing but ground water which is tested.........Peace and happy growing

Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

As a relative newbie, I have completed one DWC photoperiod grow and am currently in the home stretch of an auto grow in soil.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every method and I am not sure what I will try next. I think it is really cool how many ways there are to grow good quality ganja and have enjoyed learning from everyone else’s methods.

I do really like the shorter time required for growing autos because the wife and I like to travel and having to be home to tend to the girls will be tough once we are both vaccinated.

I do love this new hobby though, and am already planning my third grow in my mind!

Comment

Unfortunately GMO crops are produced in Canada such as: canola, corn, potatoes, soybeans, sugar beets and alfalfa. Reason wife insist to see what type of nutrientsI I feed to my girls. We stay away from GMO products and she follow a strict dietary food regiment such as following the mediterranean diet. We grow our own indoor as well as outdoor.

I would not say my crop is fully organic but damn close to it.

Personally I say quality over quantity.

I grew both but I tend to prefer photos over autos because it's easier for photos to recovery over autos. Well that's my humble opinion.
            Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
            Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
            Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
            Full auto grow
            Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
            12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

ruderalis is just as natural as photoperiod plants, just depends on where around the globe you are. That's what makes breeding so beautiful. Nothing unnatural about an autoflower.

Comment

What I don't like about autos is how difficult, or impossible, they are to recovering from mistakes in veg state.

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know that also PeterMatanzas mess with them wrongly and slows them way down or i get a runt. I enjoy them all natural when growing out doors set them in a little 3gal and let them go. Just beautiful

• RetiredGuy
                  RetiredGuy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree that this is a disadvantage. I think that what I will do next grow is start a couple of extra plants and throw away the two smallest when they start to flower. On my current grow, the first set of true leaves on one of my three plants yellowed and died after transplant. The plant survived, but with less than a month to go it is still way behind the other two in bud development.

• Rwise
                  Rwise commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree here, when one makes a mistake, it costs in the harvest, I do grow autos from time to time, they can be fun but my main grow is photos. This grow gives me a years worth, the rest is just for fun.

I'm an old 60's hippie too, and I as I recall, when you've got a farm full of people who are hungry for food and smoke, you use every advantage you can get for a bountiful harvest. Autoflower plants would have fit right into our grow schedule back then if they had been available.

I still find my way back to Peace & Love staring at my plants.... Photo or Auto!

My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
                I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
                Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

As others have pointed out, sometimes you simply don't have enough space to grow less-than-ideal yielding plants, so you'll either have to supplement your consumption with store (or black market) bought buds, or push these plants to their limit. Moreover, using non-organic fertilizers or training your plants has nothing to do with GMO — and genetic modification has nothing to do with unhealthy practices, it is capitalism and the monopolization of agriculture which is unhealthy, as these modifications are usually aimed towards pesticide/herbicide resistance in order to increase profits, and these chemicals inevitably end up making their way into our regular diet.

Comment

I find that growing auto is more of a test to see if I can get things right. It's a race against nature. I have 10 weeks, 4 stages, and don't goof. And BUD is the prize. Let the good times roll...........PEACE PS Sorry about the GMO I was wrong

Comment

While I was proud to get something off my first auto grows, now, looking back, I'm a little embarrassed by the mistakes I made.
                      I enjoy autos. I'm still refining my technique and the door to my grow room is never closed. 73 and learning.
                      Organic soil auto grower. Learning curve pics.

Comment

Photos can be grown in short order just as an auto, of course they wont be big ass plants either, just flip the lights at 3-5 weeks, and less cost for power.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X