Decarboxylation losses to figure in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Decarboxylation losses to figure in?

I've not yet done a tincture but I'm doing the background stuff in anticipation. In this video around 1:45 there is a formula that uses .88 as a multiplier for losses due to decarb. While it does make sense that some losses may occur I've never seen it spelled out or quantified like this. This video is about cooking and not soaked or aged very long so not likely real strong but it is the .88 that gets me. I have been doing high CBD capsules for a while now and never considered the loss in formulating strength and/or dose. Is this actually an important point (if so why hasn't it been pushed harder? Or did I simply miss it?) In my capsules it is almost a rounding error but when combined with making a tincture at 70 - 80% it adds up. What about ABV flower? Is there a factor to be used here that is different from the decarb factor?

Hello, and welcome to another episode of The Wellness Soldier "Cooking w/ Cannabis 101" video series. Decarboxylation Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

Do you seasoned veterans figure it into your calculations?
    TENT: Cool Grow 3x3x6 LIGHT: M-H TSW2000
    EXHAUST: AC Infinity T-4 and controller 67
    AIR CIRC: AC Infinity Cloudray S6 x2
    IRRIGATION: BluMat Tropf NUTRIENTS: Earth Dust

I have made tincture once. I used the Ed Rosenthal method as outlined in the GWE website. I used 151 rum instead of Everclear. It works rather well but tastes terrible. We tend to mix it into a drink. I believe I used .50 oz. of scrap +.25 oz. of bud. It takes about 3 dropperfuls (from a 1 oz. bottle) to make rainbows shine with bluebirds and unicorns fluttering about. Production was five ounces. I provide all of this as a preface to answering your question.

I truly don't believe this is a real exact science, unless you have visions of becoming a producer. I followed the directions, adjusted the formula to my needs and achieved results. Next Time I will use Everclear.
    Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
    5 gallon cloth pots
    30"x30"x60" tent
    Spider Farmer SE3000
    Coco Pearlite mix
    GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

I decarb in a turkey roasting bag. You can get a box of 25 pretty cheap online.
      It also helps some with smell, if that is a concern.
      2X4X6 Quictent
      1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
      600w LED (80)
      1000w LED (180)
      2 X Viparspectra P-1000
      2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
      6" battery/usb fans
      Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
      GH trio with Calimagic
      Lung room humidifier
      3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
      ArmorSi, kelp when needed
      Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
      Northern Lights auto
      (Seedsman)
      auto 00 Kush
      (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
      2x Northern lights auto
      1 auto 00 Kush
      1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
      Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Originally posted by OlderNOTwiser View Post
        I've not yet done a tincture but I'm doing the background stuff in anticipation. In this video around 1:45 there is a formula that uses .88 as a multiplier for losses due to decarb. While it does make sense that some losses may occur I've never seen it spelled out or quantified like this. This video is about cooking and not soaked or aged very long so not likely real strong but it is the .88 that gets me. I have been doing high CBD capsules for a while now and never considered the loss in formulating strength and/or dose. Is this actually an important point (if so why hasn't it been pushed harder? Or did I simply miss it?) In my capsules it is almost a rounding error but when combined with making a tincture at 70 - 80% it adds up. What about ABV flower? Is there a factor to be used here that is different from the decarb factor?

Hello, and welcome to another episode of The Wellness Soldier "Cooking w/ Cannabis 101" video series. Decarboxylation Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v...

Do you seasoned veterans figure it into your calculations?

My go to for decarb is the Ardent decarboxylation chart. For tincture, I learned all I know from "Another tincture thread" by Psychedelic Sam. You'll have to google these OlderNOTwiser because I don't have a go to for how to post a link. The Ardent chart will address your loss equation. As far as using ABV, without a lab test it would be difficult to ascertain the remaining THC available for your tincture dosing.

Comment

• grouchyoldman
          grouchyoldman commented
          Editing a comment
          quirk mentioned the tincture work of Psam that was extended by ReikoX at Overgrow.com. Here's a link to that authoritative thread. Worth checking out.

Introduction Before prohibition in the 1930’s, many of the medicines used were tinctures derived from cannabis and other healing herbs. A tincture, by definition, is a medicine made by dissolving a drug in alcohol. When I make a cannabis tincture, I will refer to it as a Green Dragon tincture or simply GD for short. This is Not Just Another Tincture Thread. This thread will be devoted not only to the Green Dragon tincture recipe, but also on how to use the tincture for edibles and topicals. T...

Then after the decarbox what are the losses for example when making canna butter? I found that when I made some chocolate using melts and canna butter some of the chockies were stronger than others. I gave the butter a good mix in the melted chocolate so I dont know what caused the difference in strengths between individuals after being portioned out into teaspoon size choc buds.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
        X