Planning outdoor Northeast Grow - Need advice on timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOIL Planning outdoor Northeast Grow - Need advice on timing

Planning on starting a few plants indoors in March and finishing outside in the Northeast once there are long enough days and the temperature is safe. Picked some strains that I think will do well outside and be done Mid-September, but looking for advice on when I can put the plants outside without accidentally triggering flowering due to the length of the day. What is the shortest day that plants can take without starting to flower? Excited to take advantage of natural light!

For me it was 14 hours light and still flowered out, no reveg at 14:38 (even 16/8 with lights) which was my longest day last year. Absolutely everything I started early flowered as soon as they went outside, some before (those at 14/10s).
    Good luck!

Comment

Last year I started March 1st. I did it a bit different. I only ran lights on 16-8. Might have lost a little veg but I had them out by third week in May and they didn't flower. Guess it was close enough to natural light. I'm in CT.

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
        Bowhunterwoody commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey DutchTreatMaster. Best of luck!! Keep us in the loop with your grow!

• DutchTreatMaster
        DutchTreatMaster commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Bowhunterwoody,
        About to germinate the seeds to get thing rolling. Working with Aurora Indica and White Widow fast so hopefully will have an early Sept harvest. Do you think using 5 gallon grow bags with ffof is asking for root bound plants? I have to keep them somewhat stubby because i don't have a ton of privacy. Will be surrounding with some tomato plants to have some cover. I appreciate the help!

• Bowhunterwoody
        Bowhunterwoody commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey DutchTreatMaster. Last year I used 15 gal. plastic. Was ok but most outdoor growers here use bigger. I guess if you keep them on the small side they could work. You'll definitely have to water and feed more often.

They still did have time to catch up.

Comment

You are my hero Bowhunterwoody i'm not in your zone but really really pay attention to strain selection.
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
          Bowhunterwoody commented
          Editing a comment
          SoOrbudgal yep. Gonna try an outdoor Northern lights auto along with a few photo bag seeds. Hoping the auto finishes before the wpm sets in.

Bowhunterwoody that should work just great i'm gonna start them indoors around the first week of June and every 3wks start more
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Bowhunterwoody
          Bowhunterwoody commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I'm starting a little later this year too. Maybe April. They outgrew my little 2x2 before I could get them outside.

Great advice in this thread. I am doing an outdoor grow in New England as well. Will be germinating first week of April to get them out and in the ground by the first week of June. Also going to try and brew up 300 lbs of some super soil for inside and outside.

I have been looking for a short flowering strain but the ones I am coming across are all sold out. I'd like to harvest late September or very beginning of October to avoid the rains. What strains are you all thinking are good for a harvest on the earlier side? And where would you get the seeds?

Comment

Hey billyboy. I wanted to try new420guy seeds but they were out of pretty much everything. I contacted them and they said they've been expecting a shipment for weeks. oldjarhead100 mentioned a new seed bank in Canada that seemed to be fast and discreet called coastal mary seeds and they take credit cards. I'm going to try them.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X