Jack Herar fan leaves question. too dry? too wet? or just right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack Herar fan leaves question. too dry? too wet? or just right

I have been growing jack herar. Ive never grown this strain before. the big ones are on day 25 of veg. The big fan leaves are huge, I've never grown a strain with leaves this big. The big fan leaves seem to have some distortion on some leaves. I don't know if you would consider this curling or distortion? the look like they have a good bit of texture and wrinkles. there is almost no color distortion that I can see, everything is green. They were replanted into the 3 gallon pots with ocean forest and perlite on day 13. Since their initial planting in those pots, they have each only received one watering with ph'd water only about 4-6 days ago, and are about ready for another drink. I've been making an effort to weight each pot and only water when dry, which seems to be around 5 days or so. Temps in the mid 70's. Do these leaves look normal? Anything I need to be doing now? At what point can I remove those big fan leaves, I just topped them all within the last 2-5 days and the new shoots are forming, but there are also other shoots trying to get up under those fan leaves, but I've never trimmed them this young before.
    Attached Files

Totally normal welcome to the big fans. I'd take them off if she were mine. Yes i've grown this strain gonna need a larger container at least 5 gal.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

The plant is doing great, the clawing downwards is due to the high nitrogen in the soil (plenty of nutes in Fox farms) I wouldn’t remove those leaves just yet, what i do is take one of the main grow tips at the top and gently try to twist around the fan leaf petiole so it kinda spreads outwards. Do the same with the other and they will grow apart along the fan leaf, you can do this at every node you want the branches to spread further from the main branch only target have to be long enough to go around the petiole

Comment

• dustydundee
        dustydundee commented
        Editing a comment
        that kind of brings to mind a 2nd question. how do I know when they are hungry and are ready for their first feeding after they use up whats already in the soil? Do I wait until the leaves start being light green or is there a different sign I should be looking for?

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Light green on leaves. Maybe some spots of purpling of petioles or stem. But it’s not a reactive situation where you wait until you see a problem. You need practice to understand, with your environment and everything you do, how fast the plants grow and how soon they need nutrients. THis may be different at different times because environment and for sure it’s different for different strains. Very hard to foresee how soil will do

my jack herar is doing great. we're on veg day 30, and really no problems to report. I noticed some lightening on some leaves and gave them their first feeding the other day and they have responded spectacularly. They are drinking more and more and seem to want a drink every 3 days or so. I removed the really big fan leaves before, which greatly helped, and now they are getting bushy again. my question is how close to the top of the cola can i remove the big fan leaves? Can I remove the ones right under the colas or do I want to leave them be for a while? is it ok to just remove one on one side and leave the other one, on the same cola or remove them in pairs? can I remove the ones I circled in red? looking for some defoliation advice on these. they've already been topped and the top 2 main shoots are looking awesome. I don't plant on topping again, maybe want to get them another foot or so taller before I flip them to flower.
      Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X