Grow #2: Trying Autos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grow #2: Trying Autos

Well, grow #1 with photos has me hooked for sure. I just put a Blue Dream and a Super Skunk Autos on paper towels.

I had 3 photos last time and opting for just 2 plants this go around. Tent is only 2x4 and want to see what a little more space will do.

Im also curious to see the difference in size / yield. The photos were fun but tried my patience at times!

————————
    Coco
    GH trio + cal mag
    LEDs
    Current Grow:
    2x Blue Dream Autos
    Coco + Perlite mix
    GH trio + CalMag, Floralicious, KoolBloom
    2x4x5 tent, SF1000 LED + Viparspectra PAR450

Autos are fun to grow. Still need some patience and a little extra care. You'll find that years are smaller with autos due to the sort veg time. Your space sounds pretty good for 2 autos. Good luck!
    5x5 Gorilla tent
    Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
    Infinity T8 exhaust fan
    Technaflora nutes
    Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

What do you recommend for light schedule on autos? I was think 18/6 but see posts of 20/4 and even 24/0
      Current Grow:
      2x Blue Dream Autos
      Coco + Perlite mix

Comment

• PLreef
        PLreef commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm using 24/0 for my current auto grow. Always used 18/6 before but I wanted to see how much different it would be. .so far I'm pretty happy with the amount of growth I'm getting with 24/0.

I am also on my second grow and am trying autos this time. If you have any more seeds, I recommend popping another. My 3 sour diesel autos are through the stretch and fit comfortably in my 2 x 4 cabinet. They are each in 5 gal fabric pots.

The veg time is short so they will not grow as big as your photos.

I have been using a 18/6 schedule. They get really droopy about 1-2 hrs before light out and are perky when I first see them the next morning about an hour from lights on. I tend to agree with those that think they need a daily break from the light. But like most things with this hobby it is a debatable issue.

Happy Growing!
      Last edited by RetiredGuy; 02-14-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Earlygrower
        Earlygrower commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I will use 5 gal fabrics too so may indeed pop another one.

Interesting on the droop / perk cycle. I too feel like some hours of dark will do them some good.

Good luck with your autoflower grow. I have to say I actually prefer photos. I've been growing all photos up until a few months ago and I have to say I'm a little disappointed with them. The buds are good but I don't get the yields I'm looking for. Pretty sure I just haven't found a good groove with them yet because I see others do really good with autoflowers. Trying something brand new (for me) this time around and using coco for the first time. I think the autoflowers will do a lot better for me in coco than they did in soil. I am doing a side by side with coco vs soil and photos vs autos right now so it should be pretty interesting. I feel like coco, hydro, or outside is probably the best for autoflowers, just my opinion. My autoflowers are also under light at 24/0 and seem to be doing really good with it. Anyway, hope it goes well for you. Happy growing!

Comment

• Earlygrower
        Earlygrower commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep us posted on your side by side grows...great idea!

I run both ways with the lights on autos. They grow fast hard to believe until you grow them.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• Earlygrower
        Earlygrower commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! I’m glad I started with the photos but hoping to get similar results in less time.

Grow #2 for me, also trying autos with 18/6 light schedule in 3 gal pots. Glad I’m trying them, haven’t done any training besides topping once. Yield is less but that’s the trade off for shorter grow time. #3 will be a photo, one big gal with long veg time for lst.
      good luck!
      Organic, coco & soil, 240w LED, 3 gallon fabric pots, basement grow in tent.

Comment

• Earlygrower
        Earlygrower commented
        Editing a comment
        So just one topping and no tying any branches down or anything?

• Cheeba
        Cheeba commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah topped and just let them do their thing. You could tie down a few branches but I wasn’t comfortable this time.

depends on the strain and your budget. strains like Northern Lights auto like a 24/0 schedule. 18/6 will suffice if you want to cut costs on the power bill and generally speaking a lot of growers opt for that cycle for that reason alone. It's really up to you but don't go below 18/6.
      I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

• Earlygrower
        Earlygrower commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s not for electricity cost reasons. Somehow it just feels right to give them some dark but I have no real basis for feeling that way.

I need to rethink this I guess...

On my current auto grow I topped the largest of three plants. I bent over the other two ( check out Bob Ward video on you tube). The buds are starting to develop on all three. So far, I think the bent over ones are going to produce bigger buds. You might want to consider trying both ways to see what works best for you.

Comment

• Catfish22
        Catfish22 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have a link to that video. RetiredGuy? I have a couple of autos in week 4 and I was thinking of bending one over.

It’s about day 85 for the bigger Blue Dream Auto and she looks great. Probably chop next week.

Her 7 day younger sister is nowhere near ready. Kind of strange.
      Current Grow:
      2x Blue Dream Autos
      Coco + Perlite mix

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
        SoOrbudgal commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent looking auto grow Earlygrower, yes sometimes you get exact looking phenos and other times not so much. Well that younger one just might look like big sister in a few wks, she's still early. Great patience pays off

SoOrbudgal Thx! I’m gonna let the smaller one go for as long as it takes. She is way more pungent and sticky that her big sis.

Big sister is showing a few amber trichomes so still planning on harvest next week for her.
      Current Grow:
      2x Blue Dream Autos
      Coco + Perlite mix

Comment

Harvest day for Blue Dream #1. This one was topped as she was bushy and growing well from the start. Her sister, BD#2, is still in the tent. She was started a week behind but has not taken off like this girl did. I did not top her. Just bent her down.

BD#2 looks perfectly healthy- just much smaller at this point. I feel like she’ll be in the tent another month. Who knows…

I don’t know what the yield is here but will weigh it up when dry. I am pleased with this and will grow autos again.

Every grow gets a little better and is always fun!
        Current Grow:
        2x Blue Dream Autos
        Coco + Perlite mix

Comment

• Earlygrower
          Earlygrower commented
          Editing a comment
          5.3 oz in jars. I’ll take it!

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X