Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time Dry Sift. Tips/tricks?

Good day everyone!

Today I’ve decided to go through all my trim/shake/popcorn buds and dry sift it.
    I haven’t gone through the process before, so I thought I’d ask if I’m missing any information.

What I’m planning:
    - I’ll be using a 110 mesh screen (which is Approx. 135 micron)
    - All product is in the freezer ready to go
    - Will do a light pass first and collect before going ham and agitating everything.
    - storing in glass jars to later be pressed into RHO.

The leftovers I’ll re-freeze for a later Bubble hash run, to get the most out of it.

Am I missing anything? Or are there any tips/tricks more experienced people can throw my way? Thanks for taking the time to read!
    Cheers eh

Nah looks like you got it covered. Keep it frozen, don't leave it sitting out of the freezer, be quick about it. Not rush, but stay quick? If it's able to stay really cold it'll work awesome. Doing your dry sifting in a cooler room helps too.

Never too much agitation really. It's better to have a couple different mesh counts to really help sort out the crap, but you can keep going with second, third, fourth sifts if you're not incredibly concerned with keeping it `100% pure.

Comment

Great !! I use a RYOT pollen box and I believe the screen is 120 micron. So yes keep your product in the freezer. What I do is pour enough in the box and return the rest back to the freezer. Also if you use a box put a quarter into the box. It help to shake the trichomes easier to the tray. I do 2 pass no more, after I use it to do wife's cream and oil.
      Last edited by Farmbuck; 02-12-2021, 04:23 PM.
      Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
      Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
      Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
      Full auto grow
      Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
      12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• Ace1973
        Ace1973 commented
        Editing a comment
        I just bought a ryot box, does it get a lot of kief? Is the weed smokable after you sift it?

• Farmbuck
        Farmbuck commented
        Editing a comment
        How big is your box? And remember you won't get a ton of kief on the first pass. It's for a small amount one at a time. I do several pass to get enough for hash (a few grams of kief) making. No I keep it for cream or oil and don't use it after for smoking purpose.

I have strains for that purpose of smoking. Most of my hash making are Kush and pure Indica strains like Lebanese and Afghan.
        Last edited by Farmbuck; 02-12-2021, 04:37 PM.

• Ace1973
        Ace1973 commented
        Editing a comment
        my box is 4x7, I do not do oil or cream, just want to smoke hash and cannabis, I have tons of different strains and would love to try OG kush or a haze strain this way...

Thanks for all the quick replies!
      good to know, I’ll remember to keep it as frozen as possible and work a swift but slow pace.

I plan on doing 2 passes and the rest for bubble hash later, the dry sift will be separated by 1st and 2nd pass as well as by strain. Everything collected is going to be pressed into RHO on a later date.

I hope for a decent return, but not keeping my hopes “high” just yet. I’ll post the results after I finish
      Thanks again!

(photos below are of my little setup, plastic wrap was left on until I start to keep it dust free. Also made a little glass tamper to help it through the screen, threw a little blue swirl in just ‘cause lol)
      Attached Files

Comment

get a 96 micron screen and run the results through it. What passes through the 96 will melt. Very superior to the 135 micron pass through. I use a 110 first and then the 96 makes it extra fine and melts.

Comment

• GreenAlchemist
          GreenAlchemist commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tip! I have a 96 micron screen coming next week in the mail thankfully, I’ll remember this and make sure the final product goes through the 96 before any pressing

I work my way through the line up, separating out depending on end use.
        Last edited by quirk; 02-13-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

I Don’t disagree with the others about better screens make better product , so listen to that, but I’ve had super results with just my Ryot 4x7.
          I took older but well stored buds from 2 summers ago(2019). About 5 grams seem a good amount in that box.
          Freeze it in small buds well. I also freeze my dedicated stainless basket coffee grinder, basket and blades. I get the bud out real quick, into the frozen grinder 2 or 3 quick blips on the button (as little as possible to dice it up) and onto the screen.
          I’m now doing a light first pass (just shake the box a couple, ok a few times) then a second pass with more agitation back and forth with the card. If you do 10 grams (5 at a time)you can get enough to make the first pass worth it but it ain’t much. I get about 2-2.5 grams of keff , which is almost lossless in the rolling pressing process(I do about 1 hour of that). I use hot water in a glass bottle and a towel , I have just used 6mm vapour barrier plastic, and tried to use real cellophane but I’m not sure it was the super 6 was better.

Super easy , except for the part where your supposed to let it sit for 3-4 weeks in a sealed container to cure a bit
          enjoy !

Comment

• Ace1973
            Ace1973 commented
            Editing a comment
            is the weed still smokable, or do you toss it out afterwards?

Damn , that’s what I started out thinking about but I forgot ....puff.
          ....ya absolutely, I look at it this way, it’s just day weed now. The stuff I used is awesome outdoor organic lots of amber and good stuff in there(grown by someone else I know). It’s definitely still smokable you just made it light, by extracting a bunch of the good stuff, that’s all.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X