Cotyledons turning white-ish and curling down for no apparent reason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HYDRO Cotyledons turning white-ish and curling down for no apparent reason

So as my third or fourth grow, I thought I'd turn hydro because I'm just sick of the fungus gnat problem. I treated myself to a GHE Aquafarm (45 l), bought some special hydro nutrients, a PH and EC meter, and got started with Royal Hulkberry Automatic.

It is my second attempt to grow hydro now, I use (pretty alkaline, around 7-8) tap water as a basis and (organic) PH Down to keep the PH in check. The first time, I failed because I didn't check the PH regularly enough (once a week), the growing plant (only cotyledons + 2 leaves) just turned violet-ish and died off because the PH was simply too high.

This time around, I took care of everything: with tap water as a basis (+ nutrients so that I reached ~500ppm above the base value of the tap water), I check PH regularly and keep it around 6. Like last time, however, there are white-ish spots on my cotyledons and they seem to die off again? I suspect that the high lime content of the tap water may be the cause, but I'm not sure. Instead of just waiting for it to die off - does anyone have an idea what could be the issue here? See the photo below. Thanks in advance for any advice! I'm clueless since PH is fine, EC/ppm is fine, lighting and temperature as well...anyone else had similar experiences?

(Hope you get the idea, sorry for the bad picture. https://imgur.com/a/cteNeiM)

If the first true leaves are ok, i wouldn’t worry too much about the cotyledon leaves dying off. The true leaves should be taking over the workload of feeding light to the tap root.
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Try some spring water. I get mine at walmart about 65 cents a gallon. Ph is always right at 6.0.(but I check it anyway).
      That will rule out your tap water.
      2X4X6 Quictent
      1.5x3x5 Gorilla tent
      600w LED (80)
      1000w LED (180)
      2 X Viparspectra P-1000
      2 X 4" fan with carbon filter ducted to unused boiler chimney
      6" battery/usb fans
      Mother Earth 70/30 coco/perlite
      GH trio with Calimagic
      Lung room humidifier
      3 and 5 gal plastic buckets Nebulas coco for autos nute schedule.
      ArmorSi, kelp when needed
      Running at pH 6.0

Grow 3
      Northern Lights auto
      (Seedsman)
      auto 00 Kush
      (00Seeds)

Grow 4 8/23
      2x Northern lights auto
      1 auto 00 Kush
      1 Critical photo

Don't just "grow weed",
      Cultivate a masterpiece.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X