Copper tube in DWC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copper tube in DWC?

I'm think of using copper tube as a heat exchanger in a DWC 5 gallon bucket. I know Cu is a fungicide. I'm not sure whether it's suitable for this application. Thoughts? Experience?

Hmm...
    it’s not just a fungicide but is also anti microbial. Also great for killing snails in a fish tank.

As an anti microbial, it would kill the beneficial bacteria that are part of helping roots uptake nutrients. I’m not sure if it would have any negative reactions to the plant, but would be more concerned as to how the copper reacts to all the salts in the reservoir.

If price was no concern, i would try to use stainless steel tubing. If you do come up with a heat exchanger system, I’d be very interested in following along for ideas.
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• DW2
      DW2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Howdy, an other alternative to copper and stainless steel would be to use aluminum tubing. It is less expensive than both and is, usually, softer and easier to form without special tools, and does not react with water. Aluminum also has a better thermal transfer rate as well.

Definitely suitable

Comment

Originally posted by Smokesteve View Post
      Definitely suitable
      You would consider this suitable even though it kills all bacteria? Have you tried it? McMaster Carr has aluminum tubing for sale. Any reason not to use Al?

Comment

What is your plans for chilling the water? Pumping?

There are some great peltier in-line cooling modules on Amazon that i have been eyeballing. Unfortunately they consume a lot of electricity to run, so I’m looking for other ideas.

Comment

Aluminum water cooling blocks in 40*40, 80*80, and 80*240mm sizes fit 1, 4, or 12 peltier coolers (Peltier chips not included). This allows you to design your own custom water cooled Peltier apparatus that uses four chips in one small, convenient package. Possibility of up to 800 watts cooling by using four TEC1-12715

So, if this was sitting on the bottom of a bucket and had cold water 40F running through it, would it cool the water to 65-68F? Hmmm

Smokesteve have you ever tried copper in a dwc? That would be the simplest solution. Does DWC require good bacteria if there is no bad bacteria?

Comment

• Smokesteve
            Smokesteve commented
            Editing a comment
            I haven't although I have some knowledge on the subject through an aqauntence. Ph 5.5-6.5 copper oxide formed on outside of the tubing, reducing leaching potential. Then again if you have a cheaper option go with that. I know of one guy who had success with it.

I am looking at one of these with an Arduino Nano to monitor temp to turn it on/off.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X