First indoor grow coming along nicely, some hiccups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First indoor grow coming along nicely, some hiccups

Since the knowledge gained from GWE got me to this point, I figured I'd share some pictures of my first indoor grow. A little background to start - FFHF soil w/perlite, 2x4x5 tent, Viparspectra V600 LED, minimal FF trio nutes. These are four Peyote Cookies bag seeds. I planted four in hopes I end up with two females (although 100% of last summer's batch from the same seed stash were female). That said, it's already getting crowded in there and since I am probably underlit (is that a word?) I may have to sacrifice two before I can sex them, we'll see.

Seeds were germinated (paper towel method into jiffy pod/solo cup) on 12/16 and were repotted into 5-gallon pots on 1/2, which makes today day 34. I topped them between the 4th and 5th nodes on day 27. I've been doing LST a little here and there with good success and one mishap. I broke two lower branches of one plant while pinning them down. Luckily, it happened to my least favorite plant and I can afford to lose two. The plants are super bushy/stout to begin with so I may not have to do too much more (you can see in the pic how tight the nodes are). This is my first time topping or training as my previous experience consisted of popping some seedlings in the garden and letting nature do the work. This is much more fun and given everything is shut down, just what I need to get me through the winter.

Last, I've fed the plants twice so far at 1/4 and then 1/2 strength. Following the last feeding, the tips of the new growth on one plant (the least favorite) turned yellow (see pic). Haven't fed since and things seem to be righting themselves.
    Last edited by VertsMonts; 01-20-2021, 04:02 PM.

VertsMonts Looking good!!! This is the best hobby in the entire cosmos, that's all I can say.
    Anyone can grow schwag. If you want to grow top shelf bud, study hard: https://www.growweedeasy.com

Growing since July 21, 2016; pothead since 1967
    2 BCNL Roommate hydroponic grow boxes w/ 400w COB LEDs, Future Harvest nutes
    Grow # 18, Aug. 2023: Anesia Seeds: Imperium X, Future 1, Sleepy Joe, Slurricane

Comment

• VertsMonts
      VertsMonts commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I agree, I love it. I've learned so much more about horticulture than I ever thought I would. Not only that, but this may be my only hobby that saves me money!

That bleaching at the tips seems like light burn to me. How far away are the LED lights from the top of the plants? Mine are 180W and I'm keeping them at about 24 inches high because they were bleaching some of my plants.

Comment

They were around 25" when it happened and around 21" now. I don't disagree and am thinking of raising the light. Thing is this happened to only one and it was one of the small ones.

Comment

• azorahai
        azorahai commented
        Editing a comment
        I think some plants are just more susceptible to light burns, only my autoflower had light burns whereas my photoperiod plants didn't, and they had approximately the same height back then. Though it's stranger in your case as the plants are all the same variety. Either way, try raising the lights a bit and see if that helps or not.
        Last edited by azorahai; 01-20-2021, 08:10 PM.

Any chance you have a blurple light with VEG and BLOOM switches? I do and have both on at the moment but I wonder if just VEG would suffice? I was under the impression that more light was better, but maybe I'm over doing it.

Comment

• azorahai
        azorahai commented
        Editing a comment
        I use a blurple LED light as well, but it doesn't have a switch. I'm not entirely familiar with the pros and cons of using them both during veg, but I'm effectively using both and my plants are growing (and fattening up) well. I just have to mind the height as they grow, but these small light burns haven't been an issue so I usually just let them grow tall enough to start bleaching at the tips before raising the lights a bit.

• VertsMonts
        VertsMonts commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed, doesn't seem to be negatively impacting things. They grew 2" since yesterday so whatever is going on isn't too big a deal. I'm pretty surprised how fast they're growing as my limited experience growing is outdoors. Always willing to take lighting advice from The Lord of Light...

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
    X