Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single Autopot AQUAvalve5 can feed 4x4 area!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Autopot AQUAvalve5 can feed 4x4 area!

For my next grow I’ve found the automated gravity fed watering system I’m going with.

I contacted the US Autopot dealer to see if their system was adaptable and it is.

So far this feels like the better option.
    With their recommended one aquavalve per 4x4 area, and my 5x5 tent, I would probably stay with 4 plant grows, instead of going to 6. I rather like the extra room around the plants (I often find myself just sitting on a bucket and talking to them). I have a milkhouse heater, radiator heater and 8” oscillating floor fan on the floor now.
    For the 4 plants, I would only need to have one AQUAvalve in a plastic pan.

My 30 gallon water barrel is up 4’ off the ground and has;
    3/4” GHT brass Spigot $17.95
    3/4” GHT to 1/2” barb brass Adapters for mainline $9.00

I’ll need; UPDATED
    1/2” water hose
    1/2″ mainline to 3/8″ In-line Filter $8.55. (more filters)
    3/8” water hose
    AQUAvalve5 for 1/2” main line to 3/8” valve/plant $21.95
    Root control sheet 46″ by 20″ $23.55

This 36” x 36” x 2” Drain Pan would hold all 4 plants without the need for individual saucers or pans. I would run the 1/2” hose through the pan wall and then use the reducer to 3/8” hose to hookup to the AQUAvalve5. Other sizes

There are many sizes of heavy duty plastic pan and trays for pet cages. Dura-Tray is a great product, they just didn’t have the size I wanted.
    Description
    Choose 3/8″ for AQUAvalve5. Top Hat Grommets provide a water tight connection using 3/8″ pipe with plastic reservoirs. Positioned at the bottom of the reservoir. Drill out to 1/2” diameter using a step drill. The grommet is then inserted into the hole and a length of 3/8″ or 1/4″ pipe (according to the grommet used) is then pushed through the grommet. Push the pipe all the way through the grommet so that you can see the tube protruding inside the reservoir.
    Manny at Autopot had this to say.
    Thanks for reaching out. You can adapt most reservoirs to have a tap on the bottom, but we don’t sell the parts you would need for that. Ultimately you would need to find a tap or bulkhead that you could put in the bottom of the tank and then seal it in a way that was watertight. You would just want to make sure that your tap was made to connect to a ½” mainline. You would need our valve kit ( AQUAvalve & cover) for each pot and an oversized saucer to put the kit and the pot in. I’ve attached some pictures so you can see what that looks like.
    I then asked;
    It looks like a single valve can feed as many pots that can fit in a tray with room for all. It looks like the pots sit on the tray bottom. How tall do the tray walls need to be?
    A single valve can feed multiple pots as long as they are all within a 4’x4’ area. The valve fills the tray to ¾” wit water. So anything bigger than that would work. Ideally at least 2” to avoid spills.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	E2106B90-BB7A-49A4-B30E-136134472910.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	481880
    Click image for larger version  Name:	A2DA636E-105E-4DF4-9095-A844BC1B75BE.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	88.6 KB ID:	481879
    Last edited by MrPNW; 01-14-2021, 12:35 AM.

Equipment
    5x5x8 Gorilla Grow TentSpider Farmer SF4000AC Infinity 8” TS Fan/Carbon Filter
    ———————————————————————————————————-
    1st Grow
    Started 01 Oct 2020 • Flipped 12/12, 01 Jan 2021 • Harvested 08 Mar 2021
    Black Gold organic potting soilNature’s Living SoilCompost Tea using NLS
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Looks good I had no idea about those? Is it electric? Or similar to the Blumat systems? Looks like it will water from the bottom? Either way looks like you won’t have much to do after a bit of veg training. Just sit and talk to them.

Comment

• MrPNW
      MrPNW commented
      Editing a comment
      Just added gravity fed to the 1st sentence.

Blumat uses a clay based “carrot” (placed in the soil) which reads the amount of water and opens or closes the water hose at the top of the carrot. The water feeding the system comes from the “reservoir” which is gravity fed.

The AQUAvalve works using an internal 2-float system that opens the water line when it dries out and closes it at the 3/4” level. It to pulls from a gravity fed line into a reservoir. Yes, it’s a wick based system that uses up the water before the valve fills it up again.
      The fancy individual pot systems you see advertised, each have their own aquavalve hidden under a cover at the base. I didn’t know about the standalone AQUAvalve5 until I started digging on the site and asking them questions.
      It’s hard to tell how it will work with a single container with 4 plants. Worse case, I’ll just look for four 18x18 pans and get 3 more valves.

This VIDEO best explains how the valve works. It’s even dishwasher safe! LOL
    Click image for larger version  Name:	5B50A77A-E16C-4689-A173-C379ECB357EF.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	37.7 KB ID:	481924Click image for larger version  Name:	C14F78A4-AF89-4164-879C-6E5B17CE6965.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	11.0 KB ID:	481920Click image for larger version  Name:	581D9F2F-D786-4A42-B38F-8D9B1B7FA73D.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	59.3 KB ID:	481921Click image for larger version  Name:	59A4567B-4E75-4EBA-828D-50B732FD4864.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	403.4 KB ID:	481922Click image for larger version  Name:	0AF2B622-5B5A-4E7C-A209-25ECAB3FD4D0.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	248.2 KB ID:	481923
    Last edited by MrPNW; 01-14-2021, 02:02 AM.

Equipment
    1st Grow
    Pennywise (Harlequin/Jack the Ripper) 1:1 ratio, Indica dominant, medium size plant

Comment

I picked up a bunch of these used barrels last summer from a guy on Craigslist. If you’ve ever priced a food grade barrel you’ll know at $20 each it was a good deal. They held bulk grains. Just under 30 gallons, flip up handles that lock and a screw top lid with gaskets.

I have the one outside my tent, feeding a 10’ garden hose and watering wand that goes through one of the tent’s “zip sock’ holes at the base. These others I’m using for emergency kit, stored drinking water and rain collect for outdoor garden.

This watering wand it outstanding. The only drawback in the near perfect reviews was the plastic GHT inside the handle breaking under constant adding/removing a hose (stress cracks). I solved this by adding quick connects, which ACE has some nice brass ones (QC that is). Speaking of ACE, they have a nice garden section with many of the favorite cannabis supplies. Our franchise is own by a couple brothers my age. I have a feeling they grow.
      The brass spigot is another great product. They even have instructions for feeding it down through one of the holes in a closed top barrel.
      You can increase your water capacity by tying your barrels together using this kit. So if you automate everything just go on vacation for a few months and finds buds ready to harvest when you return. LOL

Click image for larger version

Name:	D685B3F3-51DD-4FFB-9643-C622D5E127F7.jpeg
Views:	604
Size:	980.1 KB
ID:	481933Click image for larger version

Name:	06D14D67-1F39-43A8-86AC-6E3D1BACBBE2.jpeg
Views:	625
Size:	383.1 KB
ID:	481934Click image for larger version

Name:	DD35FE70-CECC-4619-B869-949A51369A16.jpeg
Views:	612
Size:	629.9 KB
ID:	481935Click image for larger version

Name:	DB9124C1-2B32-4A69-A3AB-F28D6B081CF2.jpeg
Views:	641
Size:	546.3 KB
ID:	481932Click image for larger version

Name:	4F01A813-5B87-4473-9858-5978619B3E67.jpeg
Views:	622
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	481936Click image for larger version

Name:	7E0CB7FD-84CA-4BAB-BCDB-7C9FFD2990AF.jpeg
Views:	622
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	481937

Equipment
      1st Grow

Comment

AutoPots are a sweet setup but I don’t like their single tray systems. Each plant having its own tray allows you to address deficiencies easier if one plant starts having issues and the others aren’t. Something to consider before purchasing. Great system though

Comment

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I sort of refer to that in one of a later comment above. Growing in super soil and having a single strain at the same time removes a number of issues, but even with that on my current grow 1 of 3 clones (same strain) in the big tent was yellowing. A top feeding of my living soil is bringing back its color. I definitely have 2 phenos (2 each) and the yellowing one was the same as a 4th clone in my mother tent. They say with super soul water ph isn’t a concern and I have wonderful city water which gets aired in the barrel. I’ll probably go with four 18x18 trays and valves.

I was under the impression it was best to feed nutes every other watering when growing in soil. That would be difficult with this set-up, should that be a concern?

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
          bboyfromwayback commented
          Editing a comment
          This setup is more like a hydro setup without the electronics

• MrPNW
          MrPNW commented
          Editing a comment
          Although my first grow is a messed up attempt at a super soil/living soil grow, if done right from the beginning, you shouldn’t have to worry about nutrients.

There’s nothing that compares to the flavor of properly grown organic pot: The subtle tastes and aromas created by using only “Mother Earth” are

The guys at NLS said this in response to my question;

The difference between the methods [super soil recipe vs living soil recipe]

Basically for containers 10 gallons and smaller there is not much difference.  Over 10 gallons the super soil has the advantage because the roots have a centralized place for the nutrient rich mix.  Under 10 gallons the roots will get everywhere anyways. 

The theory behind the Super Soil method is that when the plants are young and more delicate they are in a more “normal” soil and will not burn as they mature, the roots reach the super soil layer when they can handle the hotter soil and take full advantage of it. 

If planting directly into living soil method it is still a good idea to make a little hole where you are going to plant and fill it with regular potting soil as a buffer.

Richard Cruit
          Last edited by MrPNW; 01-14-2021, 10:53 AM.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
      X