Advanced Cannabis Microscopy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advanced Cannabis Microscopy

I'm not sure if good manners permits posting this glowing reference to a thread on another Canna Site, so if this is a breach of GWE etiquette please let me know and I'll pull the posting.

That being said, I *really* want to share the work of "Joe Crow," an obsessed, mad scientist wizard at Overgrow.com who is producing the most extraordinary pictures of our favorite plant.

Apparently Joe is an expert hashish maker who won a bunch of samples in a competition. He's also a self-taught microscopy fanatic with some excellent equipment. He decided to take a closer look at the samples he won. What he found was surprising because even the "winners" in the competition were highly polluted with non-hash garbage, fibers, leaf material, soil etc.

That got him really excited and he spent a bundle on a state of the art tri-ocular dark field scope with a high res digital camera. The resulting images are spectacular.

His next act is to do a comparative trichome development, size and frequency study of various strains. He says that would enable him to predict optimal harvest dates a week or two in advance. That would be pretty interesting. He's named his project, "The lifecycle of the Trichome” - a descent into the forest of delights."

The thread goes on forever but it's worth reading his intro at the top. In the last month or so he has produced some completely mind bending images showing how trichomes form in the first place, and how they mature over time. I've attached one shot showing a purple vein emitted by the bud pod and running up to the head of the trichome.

Geeky but awesome!

Well, most of you probably know me by now. I’m that crazy fucker who is obsessed with cannabis contamination. I seriously won’t see a fucking bug, fungus, or pesticide/fungicide residue on my plant. I’m so obsessive about how far along my crop is…the density of trichome field. I want to know it all!!! What kinds of resins and whatever, I don’t even know what I am going to see in the scope…so that’s why I make sure to look at every single batch I possibly can. OK intro is over. I’m kind of lazy ...

Last edited by grouchyoldman; 01-11-2021, 12:30 PM.
    My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
    I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
    Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Always loved being in the Endoscopy suite when i worked in the field. It was the most interesting field.
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
      SoOrbudgal commented
      Editing a comment
      I dig it grouchyoldman

• grouchyoldman
      grouchyoldman commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx SoOrbudgal, I suspected you had some kind of techie background! My taste and interests tend to be kinda nerdy, not for everyone but it's just the way I'm wired.

Cheers,

-Grouchy

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
X