Autos Best Fabric Pot Size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autos Best Fabric Pot Size?

Hey guys. I’m planning my next grow and just ordered some OG Kush auto seeds from Nirvana. I’ve never done autos before and I was curious what was the ideal fabric pot size to use? I’m planning on using FFOF and FF nutes again. Should I do 5 gallons like I’m currently doing with my photo Girl Scout Cookies? Should I go smaller? I have plenty of room in my set up. Thanks for your input!

I think 5gal would be just fine, i also have some OG Kush autos on the way, let me know how that goes for ya, be nice to compare notes! As it will be my first time doing autos.

Comment

• echdk3
      echdk3 commented
      Editing a comment
      For sure! I’m probably going to plant mine in mid-late March. Where did you get your seeds?

Nebula Haze has a journal for growing autos. In her post thoughts she said

4 x 2-gallon Smart Pots – I should have gotten bigger containers, maybe 7 or 10-gallon, with just 1-2 plants. I had to water these ones all the time. But I wanted to stuff 4 plants of different strains in there even though it wasn’t the logical thing to do.

Pot Size – I may consider using 5 or 7-gallon smart pots next time. The 2-gallon smart pots were very small for this grow. I ended up having to water the plants every other day and sometimes daily when it got hot or dry. The frequent watering was needed because the pots were too small to hold enough water to last the roots a few days. Part of why I chose such small pots was to fit the 4 plants inside this tent under the grow light. If I could do it again, I probably would have put them in bigger smart pots. Then again, the plants grew fast and well, so maybe I just need to commit to watering every other day and get a better way to water them.
    Auto-flowering Grow Journal

Comment

I have the time and ability to water everyday! So 5 gal is the most i would go, i think 3 gal is fine for a plant to get 36 in.

Comment

I use 3gal but 5 is fine
        Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
        indoor/outdoor grower
        1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
        1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
        I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
        Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
        Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
        Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I use 2 gallon Geopots - easy to move around and I am able to control the size of the plant easier.
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

I have started my first auto grow. I see you are using Ocean Forest. I have read that autos do not like “hot soil” and was afraid to use 100% ocean forest. I will be transplanting my seedlings into 5 gal pots. The bottom half of the pot has 50/50 ocean forest/happy frog and the top half is 100% happy frog. I also added extra perlite.

Comment

• Cloud
              Cloud commented
              Editing a comment
              I used ocean forest with my autos and worked out but I put a good amount of happy frog where I planted and it worked out just fine. 3 gal pots btw but I feel 5 gal better only cause you could use more happy frog in the center.

2-3 gallons is plenty, I wouldn't bother with 5+ for autos unless growing them outdoors.

Comment

autos I run 3gal photos 5gal
              If you get confused....listen to the music play

Comment

I actually started with 5 gallon fabric pots and they worked fine indoor for OG Kush. I then moved those pots outside for a new grow and they again did fine. This time though I decided to try smaller pots, modified plastic storage containers, tat were only 3 gallon. So far They seem to be working well too. I switched to smaller pots because I have read on several websites that indoor autos don't grow much past 36 inches anyway so smaller pots work just as good as big ones.

Surprisingly my current grow with the plastic pots seems to be working quite well with Northern Lights Auto where before I was using the 5 gallon fabric...could be a better seed or could be the plant just prefers a smaller pot? who knows.
                I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

What a great example of how awesome this site is. Awesome and varied feedback from lots of great growers. Thanks everyone!

Comment

I've been using 5litre (1.3 gallon) fabric pots for my first 4 Autos (Gorilla Glue x 3, Purple Punch x 1), which I've learned is too small for outdoor or a decent grow space.

I'm going to switch to 5 gallon equivalent for my outdoor grow based on comparison to a friends results.

I originally went small because of having to micro-stealth grow in a 16inch wide by only 24inch high and 34inch long (40*62*80cm) space. The 1.3 fabric were Ideal and helped offset many of the challenges I had with the teeny space

Comment

I like 5 gallon for autos to give them all the soil they need and so I don't have to water so often.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                      X