Winemaking and 420 cultivation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winemaking and 420 cultivation

Hopefully you looked at the topic title and thought "huh?!?! Whats that about"
    OK, I used to make homemade fruit wines, which involved fermenting the fruit to convert sugars to alcohol, and during the process copious amounts of CO2 released.

So the real question is: has anyone tried winemaking and 420 cultivation together in the same space?

So I am contemplating using a fermentation jug with a sugar/water/wine-yeast solution as a potential source of CO2 to bolster the plants.
    The way I see it, the warmth from the grow lights will encourage the fermentation, which will produce CO2 - but not to any "elevated" levels, maybe raise the CO2 in the grow area by 0.1% at best (higher would be great of course),
    but when plants enter that vigorous grow that hits in weeks 2 and 3 before switching to Bloom (12/12 light cycle), would the extra CO2 from the yeast/fermentation actually be of use or just a waste of effort?

PS. Bread yeast would not work because bread yeast cultures are *too* vigorous and would convert the sugar to CO2 way too fast (wine yeast would provide a steady stream of CO2 even if at a lower level).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Malkavian420; 01-08-2021, 07:00 PM.

Interesting theory sorry no i have not cultivated wine an weed together other than party wise
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I have brewed a batch of wine in the grow room, did not see anything noticeable with the plants

Comment

I'm using a mixture of 4 cups of water 1 cup of sugar boiled together (and 2 TBSP of molasses for source of nutrients for the yeast) and a sachet of "Lalvin" yeast, type "K1-V1116". I selected this type because it had a high alcohol tolerance (allowing for more sugar->CO2) and because it is slower so will be producing a steady stream of CO2 hopefully for a couple of weeks.
        My plants are at around week 4 and so hitting that "bulk up" phase (where there is noticeable growth each day) before I switch to bloom.
        The plants nearest the wine jug are all looking a bit more bushy compared to the others at the other side - all were pretty much the same prior to adding the wine jug 3 days ago.
        So I am thinking it is "helping"...

Comment

In brewing spirits, the brew is mostly done by 7 days, you may get more but its going to fall off in the amount it produces.
          I luv that yeast BTW, my Cantadew wine came out 20+% with it (would need lab tests to see how much over 20% it got to)

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
            In brewing spirits, the brew is mostly done by 7 days, you may get more but its going to fall off in the amount it produces.
            I luv that yeast BTW, my Cantadew wine came out 20+% with it (would need lab tests to see how much over 20% it got to)
            yeah - there is always that big burst of fermentation for the first few days as the yeast is able to do "aerobic" fermentation and consume the oxygen in the solution, but then slows when it switches to "an-aerobic". Once in that state, then we get a steady, but gently fermentation going. My wines usually will ferment for 2 to 4 weeks when "topped up" with sugar solution.
            The plants by the wine jug are now very noticeable how much bigger then the others of the same strain, even tho they were the same size when I placed the jug - I will try and attached a photo..

Comment

• Rwise
              Rwise commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, but even then it continues to slow over time until it completely stops.

If you are adding CO2 to a tent that has a ventilation fan, aren't you just venting it off to the atmosphere?
            Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
              If you are adding CO2 to a tent that has a ventilation fan, aren't you just venting it off to the atmosphere?
              I only turn the ventilation fan on when I transition to the Bloom, since that is when the plants are going to start being "aromatic". Also the wine jug is at the ground level by the plants, while the exhaust outlet is out of the top of the tent to allow the heat to escape.

Comment

Photo of my 2 Bubba Kush plants. Both started at the same time, and prior to adding winemaking jug, they were both about the same size. The one on the right, is by the winemaking jug (you can see the top of the airlock) and is about 25%-50% bigger now than its compatriot (enough growth to allow some vigorous training to expose more bud sites)

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                  SoOrbudgal commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Now that's interesting side comparison who would of known, carry on with it

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X