Question for basement growers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for basement growers

What/how do you exhaust,intake air? I'm in my basement in a 4x4 and I wanna expand a little. right now I just exhaust into the basement no real fresh intake and havent had and issue and I only use a 4" fan connected to a humidity controller vs running all the time. . I was thinking of a 4x8 and another light with my ts 3000 or just another 4x4/light would work. but would think Id deff need to do something different with all that area ventilation wise for 4x8? Ive also thought of not doing tents and move into my upstairs bedroom but it stays a little cold up there and Ive had success in a tent, kinda if it works dont fix it deal some what. Well thanks for and advise or ideas just kinda thinking out loud sorry to ramble on!!
    If you get confused....listen to the music play

Without knowing your basement it’s tough to comment. Maybe you could run a vent line to a window?
    Where do you currently exhaust the tent’s heat and humidity to?
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Dieselgrower
      Dieselgrower commented
      Editing a comment
      no windows at all right now I just vent into the basement just an open duct off the fan and I keep both lower passives open all the time

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      The humidity being released into an area without any fresh ventilation might become an issue for mold, or structural issues, in the basement. I do 4 hydroponic pails at a time, and during late veg and into flowering, my plants are going through a gallon of water each per day. That’s 4 gallons of humidity (in 24 hours) that could cause problems in the house if not vented correctly.
      I had a neighbor that needed a $30,000 renovation to their house because a basement grow op caused all the real hardwood floors, on the main floor, to heave and separate. They didn’t use any type of vapor barrier to control where all the heat and humidity was going. They had to fabricate a toilet flood story so they could use their home insurance to cover the flooring damage. We had to replace the wood flooring, sub-flooring, and a dozen joists to fix the problem.

Something to keep in mind 😉

• Dieselgrower
      Dieselgrower commented
      Editing a comment
      ok, wow. never really thought of this.understand that!!

I run a 6 inch flex pipe through the floor joists leads outside tricky part is finding where that joist goes outside once I did that I took a 6 inch dryer exhaust cover cut a hole in the siding just above the concrete pull the flex house out attach it to the exhaust cover securely and put some weather proof silicone on the back of the cover before screwing it in

Comment

• Dieselgrower
      Dieselgrower commented
      Editing a comment
      I do have an entry door I never use that i did think of cutting a vent into. Its just into a stairwell. I could leave the screen open. or cut an outlet in the stairwell. maybe this is best. I could Y 2 tent into the 1 exit. Thanks

• Wolfe0420
      Wolfe0420 commented
      Editing a comment
      Air only moves as big as its exit allows so if possible it is better to do a individual for each fan. What size are your fans and what’s the CFM rating ?, you could y 2 4 inch into a 8 inch exit but your going to complicate it with all increasers your will need and 8 inch is probably too big to fit in most places that are tight to begin with.

For example: I run a 6 inch inline 420CFM this is to cool my light and exhaust the heat outside. I use a 4 inch inline can’t remember the cfm but it works and this one is to clean the air and keep the tent at optimal levels. Both go outside on their own venting circuits.

• Dieselgrower
      Dieselgrower commented
      Editing a comment
      ill be all LED. have ts3000 from marshydro in my 4x4

room I have basements big , just have no exits but the door. if I did a 4x8 tent would you still think 8" or would a strong 6 work? the 4" i use with my 4x4 id barely 200cfm. not enough but havent seen issues

Comment

8 inch is preferable or the 6 and 4 combo is great setup also. It’s hard for me to tell you exactly what will work for u cuz I don’t know what your basement looks like. So I made 2 exits kinda like a dryer vent going outside.

Comment

opinion question, either way your buying a light and piping in 1 or 2 exhaust. would you buy a 4x8 or just get a second 4x4. light would probably be another ts3000. just gotta contact mars and see if i can daisy to an older model

Comment

I had a 4x4 tent and it ripped I went with a 4x8 when I replaced it. Lots of room and it suits my growing style, if you want to veg clones and keep a mom on hand then 2 4x4 maybe the way to go. I sprout seeds and veg them in a closet until the the ones budding are done then clean quickly and put the next batch in and pop more seeds. So I prefer a larger bud area.

Comment

When we bought this house I had grow room in mind so what I loved was the unfinished basement with 10ft ceilings. I built a big storage closet in one corner with a hidden door into my grow room. It’s sealed off pretty good so I have to run a 4” intake fan to keep fresh air flowing. I used to vent the output into a adjacent room which was as far away from my intake fan as possible but still could never get my humidity down until I started venting outside. Most bathroom and kitchen fans are 6” so you can find outputs vents to put on the outside of your house that blend with everything else. I put the one for my grow room right beside our dryer output. Looks like a regular vent. Just don’t get too close to it if I’m in week 5 of flower on. Pretty pungent lol

Comment

• YYCannabis
              YYCannabis commented
              Editing a comment
              @dieselgrower...the benefit of a tent inside a room is it allows you to control you’re climates a little better. Use the room space to assist in keeping the grow space (tent) at desired temp and humidity. For example: My room is at 18°C and about 35% humidity, but in my tent it’s 23°C and 55% due to lights and plants. If my humidity in the tent gets too high, i open my vents at floor level to draw in cooler, less humid air from the room. So i use the room ( aka lung room or macro-climate) to moderate, or buffer, the grow space (micro-climate).

• Dieselgrower
              Dieselgrower commented
              Editing a comment
              ive had great luck in my 4x4. I only have light blocking drapes closing off my area right now and cut in a vent for my central into it. stays pretty steady. just wanna add few more plants. I think I'm gonna do the 4x8 and I think its better to start venting out the stair well

• bboyfromwayback
              bboyfromwayback commented
              Editing a comment
              YYCannabis hit it on the head! It’s all a big orchestration of doing different things per tent depending on what each tents needs are at the time but most importantly is getting the climate of your grow room itself tuned in. I can use different ventilation methods or small humidifiers or dehumidifiers inside the tents themselves to tweak them a little but it’s hard to go 5-10 degrees temp wise or percentage humidity wise either direction from what the grow room itself is at.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X