Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For me GrowWeedEasy should be called GrowWeedHard!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me GrowWeedEasy should be called GrowWeedHard!

Hi All,

I have been germinating seeds for my second grow. I dropped 8 Sour Diesel Auto seeds from ILGM into a glass of distilled water last Saturday. On Sunday I moved them into Jiify pellets. All seeds had cracked and several were showing tails. To date none have broken through the pellets.

I also put one seed directly into a pellet on Sunday and that one broke through yesterday. I put my final seed directly into a pellet yesterday so hopefully will have another plant to move forward with soon.

I think I screwed up because I poured the distilled water into the glass I used about a week before the seeds arrived, because I wanted to start figuring out how to control temperature. To make matters worse I used a unsterilized meat thermometer to check temps. When I moved the seeds to the peat pellets they were all clustered together with some white fuzz around them. I am now thinking that that was some type of mold that ended up killing the seeds. Would love to hear what you guys think.

I was planning on fitting five plants into my 2 x 4 closet. Fortunately, I just read the good reviews about Graybeard and have five more seeds on the way. I hope I don’t screw those up too!

I just received the new Mars Hydro SP3000, so if I can manage to get these babies going I should have plenty of light.

I must say there is quite a steep learning curve to this growing stuff. I am thankful for this site.

Jah Rastafari

the white fuzz is likely mold but it won't kill the seeds or the plant unless it becomes way out of control. White mold is usually not pathogenic (toxic to humans). The brown or grey/black mold is. Mold spores are everywhere and usually love humid conditions. The real issue with mold is easily cured by soaking the seeds in some peroxide for a few minutes then rinse them with water.

Personally I use just regular tap water to germinate my seeds and it works fine.

Yes there is a lot to learn. I'm on my 5th grow and I'm still ironing out issues...it can be complicated but it can also be very rewarding.
    I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Best to keep it sterile. Don’t touch seed with your hands. Use disposable stuff like bottle caps or plastic bags to soak the seeds in, if you have seeds from a bag seed or a friend or you already handled them you can put them in the palm of your hand and rub with iso alcohol using your finger for about 5seconds then drop into a paper tower to absorb the alcohol and hen procede with germination using another paper tower or a sterile container to soak

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        Buy a tiny bottle of drinking water, it comes sterile and filled with sterile water

• RetiredGuy
        RetiredGuy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your very helpful suggestion, I will use a water bottle cap next attempt. If I don’t figure this stuff out at least I am having fun trying!

• 9fingerleafs
        9fingerleafs commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve had consecutive rounds of seeds getting sluggish and rotten before I switched to caps

Well sounds like you'll get maybe 2 sprouts to practice with. I'd put those into there final pot if they were mine.
      Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
      indoor/outdoor grower
      1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
      1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
      I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
      Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
      Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
      Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

A little while back, I popped some seeds directly in soil using a solo cup. All came up except 1. I set that one out of the way and went about preparing the others for transplant. A couple of weeks later, I came across the out-of-sight-out-of-mind solo cup sporting a nice healthy seedling. Moral of the story: don't give up on them too soon.
        2'X4' Nursery tent with Mars Hydro SP150 LED
        5'X5' Grow tent with 2 Mars Hydro SP3000 LEDs
        Fox Farm soil and nutes
        Rain water

Comment

First two things you should totally forget about is distilled water and then your jiffy pellets. I've never used pellets or anything like that - I put my germinated seed in the soil of their final pot - pointy side down. And distilled water has no buffering ability .
          ​​​​​​3 X 3 gorilla. Promix soil . Green Planet Nutes
          Mars Hydro
          Vortex in-line 6" fan

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            very true, i like drinking water because it has 20-30ppms meant for human consumption and completely sterile

Over complicating things. I use the small 10oz water bottles with just enough tap water to keep the seed wet. Let it soak 24hrs then pour it right into the soil. Those pellets are best for cloning. I’ve used them for seeds but a small cup of soil sitting on a heating pad can’t be beat in my opinion

Comment

• 9fingerleafs
            9fingerleafs commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah but when none of that works gotta take the extra careful Road

I germinated my last batch of seeds folded in a wet (with filtered tap water) paper towel inside a plastic chinese takeout box left in a dark tent with a seedling mat underneath the plastic box for warmth. After they germinated in 24-48 hours, I moved them into rooter plugs (split to facilitate easy transfer) in a seedling tray under a 7' cloning dome with more tap water in the tray to keep things moist and the seedling mat again to keep them warm. I set a cheap seedling LED on top on the dome and set it up on a timer for 18/6. I misted them a couple of times a day until they had decent enough roots to move into the RDWC setup. I only lost one seed out of fourteen. The breeders were Sensi and Rare Dankness, BTW.
          Coconut Grove
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
          4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
          32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
          Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

The germinating is the most finicky part. After that it’s pretty easy to keep the plant alive. 😁
            There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
            1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
            2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
            3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• Canuck147
              Canuck147 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah - and waiting for it to come up and out of the soil.

• YYCannabis
              YYCannabis commented
              Editing a comment
              Ugh...the worst. I feel the need to look at the damn cube every hour until the helmet pops up. 😁

RetiredGuy don't give up! Germination seems to be one of those areas in this growing process that takes a little trial and error. And most everyone on here seems to have put their personal touch on the process. The GWE tutorials are the best as far as I am concerned. I developed my method based on the GWE info. I germinate by dropping seeds in a shot glass of tap water for 12-24 hours, then into a Rapid Rooter. I've been using this process in soil grows. Works well for me.
            Auto/Photo Tent: Gorilla 2x4x7'11", HLG 350R, Infinity 4" w/Carbon Filter, Autopot system, Coco 50/50 perlite: Ace Seeds fem photo Purple Haze x Malawi x 2 Seeds dropped 2-2-24
            Photo Tent: Gorilla 4x4x7'11" HLG Scorpion R, Infinity 6” w/Carbon Filter, Coco 50/50 perlite, Autopot system: 100% Sativa Ace Seeds Malawi x 4
            Nutrients: CX Horticulture - full line for both tents

Comment

I have tried the pellets on multiple occasions with very poor results. This last time I soaked 5 seeds of 5 different strains overnight, used the paper towel method to sprout (with bottled water). After sprouting I placed them directly into soil. 4 out of 5 survived and are growing well. 4 of the seeds were from Herbies Seeds. The one that did not take was a leftover mystery seed of unknown provenance.
              Current Grow: 1 Purple Haze, 1 Bay Burger, 1 11 Roses Photoperiods
              5 gallon cloth pots
              30"x30"x60" tent
              Spider Farmer SE3000
              Coco Pearlite mix
              GH Trio, Silica, Cal-Mag

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X