LED Light Bulbs - Selectable Spectrum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED Light Bulbs - Selectable Spectrum?

I am trying to set up an additional grow tent and came across these bulbs while web surfing - "17-Watt E26 A21 Selectable Spectrum for Seeding Growing Blooming" Indoor Greenhouse Plant Grow LED Light Bulb available for purchase at the local Home Depot. Has anyone used this type of lighting? How many would I need for a 2' x 4' grow tent? Any information & suggestions are welcome
    Attached Files

For the price of those, I’d bet you could buy a SF or Mars led light made for a 2x4 cheaper.

Comment

Maybe can be used for small seedlings, but totally insufficient beyond that....unless you bought 10 of them for each individual plant.
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Small seedlings are the simplest to light. A regular 23w CFL bulb will do the job perfectly. Or a T5 light for larger areas. When it comes to seedlings, lighting is simple. Customizing your spectrum during flowering is where you can become a mad scientist.

My first grow was a CFL, so I know it can be done. Hindsight, I would certainly look at investing in an entry level mars hydro, viparspectra or spider-farmer light. Way worth it in yield, which equals money saved in the long run.

Comment

Just say no.
          Like ChadWestport I started with large CFL bulbs and they can be made to work fairly well. I used 800 actual watts of CFLs for two medium sized plants and ended up with about eight oz of dried flower. So it works, but if you use that many, they are actually pretty hot, draw loads of electricity and need to be kept really close to your plants so you end up with a giant electrical spider of desk lamps!

In hindsight, I wish I'd gone straight to LED. A state of the art (2x2) dimmable, fanless LED panel for about $160 (check Amazon for ViparSpectra XS1500) is perfect for a single plant from seedling to harvest and it only draws 150 watts from the wall. LED light is a Cadillac ride.

Just sayin.

-Grouchy
          My goal is epicurean quality rather than high yield.
          I'm learning how to create cannabis tinctures and hashish and I almost always use a vaporizer to spare my aging lungs.
          Despite my avatar name I'm generally amenable and helpful. So, if there's a question I'm qualified to answer, hit me up!

-Grouchy

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X