Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

White Powder Mold - Are These Buds Doomed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! White Powder Mold - Are These Buds Doomed?

This plant shares a space with 2 other plants (see my previous post for tent set up). We have a 4" exhaust out, plus a small oscillating fan blowing air, and another small fan blowing air in from the top. We monitor our humidity well, as well as temperatures, keeping levels optimum. As you can see, this particular plant is... thick, in comparison to our other two plants. I just used plant ties to pull the branches back so you all can see better.

How will I know if my buds are unusable if I've spotted white powdery mildew on this plant?

t's actually been there for a while (we're on week 8 of the flowering stage) but my dumbass (first time grower) thought it was trichomes just jumping to adjacent leaves. I'm currently wiping the leaves down with a moist towel. None of the other two plants that share the tent seem to be affected.

I do notice an "off" stench possibly? They obviously smell like bud, just... wet? Again, I'm a first time grower so I have no expectations; but obviously IM PRAYING THE BUDS AREN'T RUINED!

Thank you in advanced (more photos attached)

Update: Just cut a bud off to see what it looks like inside, and it seems perfectly normal and healthy. Also, defoliating some of useless leaves with small amounts of powder. We have a jewelers loop (arrived last week) and things don't look too back. I think I'm just overreacting now

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_31.jpg Views:	0 Size:	612.8 KB ID:	476179Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.30 MB ID:	476180Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	476181Click image for larger version  Name:	3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	476182
    Last edited by Shewis; 12-23-2020, 12:03 PM.

Is this only on your buds and the leaves closest to them? I’m not seeing mold, I see frosty buds but all I have to view are pics

Comment

Originally posted by bboyfromwayback View Post
      Is this only on your buds and the leaves closest to them? I’m not seeing mold, I see frosty buds but all I have to view are pics
      Essentially, yes. There were a couple of old bigger leaves away from the bud with small white patches (I cut them away, however). I'm now thinking it is, indeed, just frosty buds LOL
      Last edited by Shewis; 12-23-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m willing to properly check it if you want to send the plant to me

We bought a microscope, and can confirm it's definitely WMP.

Does this mean we can't smoke any of this, even though after cutting one bud open, it didn't contain spiderwebbing like stuff?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201228_180935.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	477502Click image for larger version

Name:	image_127029.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	477500

Name:	image_127028.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	477501Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201228_180935.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	477503
      Attached Files

Comment

If you find buds with no mold you can do this to remove any small stuff but anything that's fully moldy toss. https://vimeo.com/275728566

Comment

Originally posted by Smokesteve View Post
          If you find buds with no mold you can do this to remove any small stuff but anything that's fully moldy toss. https://vimeo.com/275728566
          Thank you!!!

So far we just treated the plant with the baking soda method recommended on this site... immediately saw results using the digital microscope.

So treatment, plus no inner-bud mold on tested buds = I am still hopeful.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Since you describe the environment as being pretty optimal, are you any closer to what might have caused it? Does WPM happen so easily?

Comment

What is the RH? Get it down to about 50% and the mold cant grow so easy.
              Have fans? If not add fans for air flow as the air flow helps keep moisture from forming on the leaves.
              Just a note, some have reported issues with baking soda nearly killing their plants.

Comment

Originally posted by echdk3 View Post
                Sorry to hear about your troubles. Since you describe the environment as being pretty optimal, are you any closer to what might have caused it? Does WPM happen so easily?
                We truly have no clue. The other two plants in the space are untouched. We did introduce some ceramic plant nannies some months ago to help water our plants while we were away with wine bottles. Otherwise... all of our plants in and outside the greenhouse have no WPM

Comment

Originally posted by Rwise View Post
                  What is the RH? Get it down to about 50% and the mold cant grow so easy.
                  Have fans? If not add fans for air flow as the air flow helps keep moisture from forming on the leaves.
                  Just a note, some have reported issues with baking soda nearly killing their plants.
                  We have three fans:

1. small, but power oscillating fan placed a bit higher than dirt level, but aiming moreso upwards.
                  2. small fan blowing air inside from the top. We moved our WMP plant directly under that intake space to help with drying our baking soda/water concoction faster and have more air circulation.
                  3. 4" exhaust out fan.

Our RH stays between 45-52% as I constantly monitor them to ensure it doesn't get too high.

I'll keep watch with baking soda killing this plant. The plant definitely is the one with thee fattest buds, but also seems the strongest. We'll see. After one application (2tbs of Baking 1 gallon of water), the plant still looks good. Just has residual Baking Soda spots.

Thank you for your questions!

Comment

Updates:

Here are some photos after one application. I tried to capture the same leaves as posted before, but it was difficult to find mold!

Name:	IMG_20201229_111149.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	477599Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201229_111735.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	477600Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20201229_111302.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	477601

Comment

Continue with the baking soda spray on the plants. When u harvest, wash them. First bath, hydrogen peroxide and water, second baking soda and lemon juice, third plain water. Use cool not cold water. soak in each bath for 10 minutes with gentle agitation. Try not to bang the buds against the side of the container. When done, just hang up and let the water drip dry off them.
                      Don't worry, be happy, grow sticky buds.

Comment

Originally posted by Ckbrew View Post
                        Continue with the baking soda spray on the plants. When u harvest, wash them. First bath, hydrogen peroxide and water, second baking soda and lemon juice, third plain water. Use cool not cold water. soak in each bath for 10 minutes with gentle agitation. Try not to bang the buds against the side of the container. When done, just hang up and let the water drip dry off them.
                        Do you think we could get away with just the cold water wash (get the residual baking soda off)? The first treatment of baking soda and water, and wiping down leaves seemed to really help. We could hardly find any traces on any leaves and looked at buds under the microscope.

Comment

• Ckbrew
                          Ckbrew commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I meant wash them after you harvest.

Do the Jorge Cervantes tutorial. Cut now! It is far along enough maybe not perfect but it will do.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                        X