Manifolds and vertical SCROG questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manifolds and vertical SCROG questions

If my current garden stays on track for a bountiful harvest, I’m hoping to try my hand at photoperiod growing. My idea is to try to do a manifold and a vertical SCROG. Now i know some of you will say “it’s not a Vertical SCROG! It’s called a trellis!” Yeah...i get that, but “vertical SCROG “ sounds a lot more technically challenging. 🙃 My online searches for images of vertical SCROGs have mostly resulted on seeing growers simply allow the plant to grow upward in a mesh wall reaching several feet high. In my idea, i want to weave the growth from a manifolded plant horizontally in a back and forth pattern to try to keep the growth to only two feet in height, but four to five feet wide, during veg.

My questions are:
    1) What strain types would work best for manifolding? (I’m looking for something that manifolds well and has a strong THC production)
    2) When vegging photos, is there a point to which further vegging and growth weaving starts to possibly become too much and possibly cause diminishing returns? (I’ve seen people comment that a plant can only produce *X* amount of bud no matter how big you grow the plant)

I’m interested to hear what others have tried and what people think are the possible fail-points and any unusual challenges that i will face with this style of grow.

Cheers
    YYC
    There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
    1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
    2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
    3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

If a mother plant can give dozens and dozens of clones over a years worth of growing in veg then flowered and produces a fair amount of weed. Why not train like a fence hedge it can be done. Lots of side lighting. More so i think it's up to the grower to decide enough is enough. My belief is if the plant stays healthy she can go on till you flip it to flower. No i've never tried it but like to watch these new type grows

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      The fence hedge idea is very similar to what i am thinking...just skinnier...and woven back n forth 😁

I'm a photo grower and as for vegging a photo and when is "when enough is enough", well for me is 8 weeks the max depending of the strain and # plants you are growing. I did the SCROG but now it's all about SOG for now.
    Light: Viparspectra P2000, Viparspectra P1500, Viparspectra XS2000, KingLed 1500
    Medium: organic, Fafard perlite, Fafard Urban Garden organic mix, Organic compost shrimps.
    Nutrients: Alaskan Fish, Advanced Nutrients Big Bud, Advanced Nutrients Ancient Earth, Advanced Nutrients Sensi Cal Mag Xtra
    Full auto grow
    Grow room : 8X12X10, 2 industrial fans, 1 dehumidifier, 1 Vivosun carbon filter & controller
    12 Wild Thailand Ryder from WOS

Comment

• YYCannabis
      YYCannabis commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you stop at 8 weeks because of time convenience? Or because going 10 weeks doesn’t produce greater yields?

My concern is diminishing returns by going too far with veg. I’m not sure if there is truth to the old wisdom that “a 4oz producing plant will only produce 4oz of bud no matter how long it vegges”.

• Farmbuck
      Farmbuck commented
      Editing a comment
      8 wks in my rule of thumb, personally for me 2 months is sufficient to keep them healthy before the big switch. Keep in mind the space you have for growing the # plants.

You see I have 48 square feet and I have 21 plants now so yes I don't need to veg any longer.

Some will veg for 4 wks others 6 wks for me it will always be 8 wks cuz I want them to be a bit bigger.

I believe the longer you keep in veg the more chance with diseases etc. But this is just my opinion.

There’s research that says older plants have a greater potential to produce better quality and more potent bud. I’m planning to research this theory shortly but I’ve committed to a test between 20% amber tris and >50% amber tris for potency. Once that test is settled I’m going to grow 3 Blue Cheese from Barney’s and compare thc between a 4wk, 6wk and 8wk veg. I believe veg time is mostly a personal preference dependent on how much room do you have in your tent and what life events are coming up during the grow. Tbh in my personal experience growing indoors, anything longer than a 4wk veg is a waste of time unless your running a ScrOG. Vertical grown plants get too big for most setups unless you have a lot of side lighting but I’ll still beat that with a ScrOG using less watts and have zero larf.

Comment

bboyfromwayback ... yeah, side lighting is the key. Which is why I’m interested in doing a vertical SCROG as my DIY lights are capable of doing it. My light limitations is the reason I am thinking of doing it at only 2’ tall and up to 5 or 6 feet wide. Although I’m having thoughts of possible going 4 feet tall if i can. THis would give me approx 20 square feet of vertical area and running only 600 watts of lights (300 per side of the screen).

Crazy ideas come and go....not sure how this one will pan out 😁
      There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
      1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
      2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
      3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        20sqft is a heck of a footprint! How many plants? I remember your diy light setup from other post. You definitely have the right lights for your idea. Cant wait to see how it goes

• YYCannabis
        YYCannabis commented
        Editing a comment
        Actually... it would be a wallprint 😂 The 20ft2 would be if i go 4’H x 5’W. My first goal will be to do 2’x5’ as a test to see how fast the plant fills the screen during veg, so I’ll probably just do 1 plant as an experiment.

• bboyfromwayback
        bboyfromwayback commented
        Editing a comment
        You want a fast growing strain to fill that with one plant. Bruce Banner and Pineapple Chunk are two I’ve personally grown I believe could fill it out. I don’t weave in and out when I ScrOG. The concept makes no sense to me, seems to be a lot of unnecessary stress and would make harvesting a pain. Just keep everything tucked under, whenever growth gets about 4” high bend it down and move it to the next opening. I shoot to fill 3/4 during veg and let the stretch fill the rest.

The rule of thumb for the traditional horizontal scrog is you veg until the screen is full. I suppose that same logic would work with a vertical screen. I'll be interested to see how it works out. Keep us posted.
      2'X4' Nursery tent with Mars Hydro SP150 LED
      5'X5' Grow tent with 2 Mars Hydro SP3000 LEDs
      Fox Farm soil and nutes
      Rain water

Comment

In a nebula tutorial I read on side lighting she said it’s not worth it indoors. Or maybe it wasn’t her tutorial? Something about at a certain point you are just wasting light. Because the lights don’t take light coming in from the side a real “sunlight” coming from the top something like that. I could be wrong. Maybe worth looking it up

Comment

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          That might give me just-cause to build more lights 😉 But of course the ‘Bank of Mrs. YYC’ might say otherwise. 😂

Me: Honey...sweetie...love of my
          Wife: No!
          Me: But i just...
          Wife: Huh?! You wanna do a what?
          Me: an experiment with..
          Wife: No

😂

• YYCannabis
          YYCannabis commented
          Editing a comment
          She was already upset i upgraded my tent from 4x4 to 8x4 in less than a year...at a whopping $220. Asking for $500 for more lights might be pushing it. 😏

YYCannabis lol. Yeah I know what you mean I’m trying to convince my wife on a 4x4 but she won’t give up any more space than my 2x4 and my small 2x2 thing is I want the 4x4 plus keep the ones I already have. Have to find a way to make space.

Comment

8x4 damn your lucky. I can only dream of that much space and all the bud I would grow in there. I’d probably move in there with the ladies lol.

Comment

I upgraded a few things this year myself. Just ordered them. My wife bitched at first but it didn’t take her long to come around. She never misses an opportunity to remind me though so I know payback is coming. But I ain’t growing in just a 2x4 anymore lol 👍🏻

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X