Opinian from the masters about Autoflower genetic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinian from the masters about Autoflower genetic

So we all know that ruderalis was first scientifically identified in 1924 in southern Siberia, although it also grows wild in other areas of Russia.

So it is a genetic that it is accustomed to grow in much colder climates compared to photoperiod genetic.

The time of hours 18-6 till end for me it is easy to understand because in theory... in that part of the world they have longer days during summer and during winter is almost night during day and too cold.

I had read a lot of times and searched everything in GWE blog and when it comes to temperatures, I think that I never saw something talking about this.

So speaking in theory because I never had conditions to do big experiments, when you grow autoflower seeds it is better to lower temperatures a little bit??

For example instead of 18º-26º celsius/ 64º-78.8ºFahrenheit we drop like 2 or 3º C / 5 or 6º F in min and max?

Or more?

Would like to know all your opinions

Thank you and good grows

Lowest in my opinion and i've not grown autos alot but they perform best at 75f to 90f safest. I'm no expert just have grown them indoor and outdoor with great results at above 75f and moved them into the shade when temps reach above 95f. Good luck i don't know Celsius
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I will be able to experiment with this a bit as I live in a temperate climate (S. Florida) and we are going into "Winter" here, which means highs in the mid to low 70s with occasionally highs in 50s and 60s F.

I just popped an OG Haze seed and in a couple weeks when I get my seeds, I will pop some auto White Widow.

I grow outdoors and overnight the plants inside, but use only sunlight to power their growth (just bought a grow light for backup in case of a rainy day).

I am going to start taking note of the temps each day and run a mini-experiment to see how growth and yields do in lower temps. It won't be a perfectly scientific experiment, but maybe will add some info that's useful to others.

Comment

• D.A.A.S.69
        D.A.A.S.69 commented
        Editing a comment
        I loved growing in Fla, when we lived there, we lived south of Tallahassee an north of Panama, great growing conditions there except for the daily summer rains, that you have to stay on top of, we only had 3 light frosts, the whole time we were there,
        We lived in a great fresh water fishing town called Wewahitchka, there's another grower on here that lives pretty close to Wewa, in Apalachicola, ain't spelt right but it's close, I think, can't remember the growers name though, but he's a good dude .
        If he reads this, I hope he jumps in ,so we can stay in touch like we used too.

• RagWeedDWC
        RagWeedDWC commented
        Editing a comment
        I live North of GA, we get down to the 30's and 40's during my grow season. My shop is not heated, but I have an enclosed grow space. With a hydro system I keep aquarium heaters in the reservoir and the grow totes. The tempture in the space will get down to the mid 60's but the roots are kept around 72 to 75f. It seems to work ok, have not had a problem as far as I can tell. When I did not have heated water they did not grow well at all, made a lot of difference heating the water up.

• PLreef
        PLreef commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to live in Apalachicola and Saint George Island. My neighbor grew year round outdoors. Monster bushes! Like 10' tall. I wasn't into growing back then. Around 1998.

Will the one seed I got from my Northern Lights auto be an auto female ? It just sprouted so I’ll know in a few weeks, but still curious. My first auto. Will definitely be taking advantage of the strain in an indoor setting but like big and bushy outdoor plants.

Comment

Welcome to GWE
        Depends on where the pollen came from, if from your plant then yes female auto. However if it came from a male photo-period plant, then it could be male or female auto or photo.

Comment

This is only my second grow of autos. my first in the summer temp was average 22-25 degrees celsius in the day and 19-20 at night in the tent, that plant did really well. But this second grow in the winter I struggled at the start to get my temp above 19 degrees in the day and nothing above 16 degrees at night plants didnt like it really slow growth compared to my summer grow. Since managed to get some better heating average temp now in day 22 degrees and night 18 degrees plants are doing much better coming along nice.

Comment

I guess part of the problem is *predicting* what exactly the plant will want without knowing its genetics. 40% Ruderalis? 55%? Or only 10%? I would think that the higher % of ruderalis genetics in the auto would dictate what climate tolerances and needs it would have.
            My little tent space stays between 18C (darkness) and 24C (lights on) generally. Humidity (with 4 mature plants) is between 55-65%. I’ve had good success with both high and low Ruderalis genetic autos growing in that range.
            But remember... it’s still your responsibility as a grower to watch what the plant is telling you she needs. There’s no “golden rule”...only “guidelines”...to growing. 😉

Cheers
            YYC
            There are 3 things you must check everyday when growing in hydro:
            1) Water level (How much h2o is she drinking in 24hrs)
            2) pH level (change over 24hrs)
            3) ppm/EC level (How much food is she eating in 24hrs)

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
            X