Soil grow possible nutrient burn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Soil grow possible nutrient burn?

Hey all, I just started growing this year and keep running into issues with leaves getting brown spots/looking fried as they hit the flowering phase.

The plant below is at 8 weeks and the issue started a few weeks ago. I've flushed twice but the condition of the plant seemed to worsen. This tends to happen with the majority of my plants and just haven't been able to pinpoint what I could be doing wrong. They produce bud but they certainly aren't pretty.
    Plant type: auto
    Grow area: tent
    Light: Led viparespectra 450w on 20 off 4
    ​​Medium: Soil (fox farms happy frog)
    Pots: 2 gal smart pot Nutrients: GH Trio + cal mag, I don't start them till 4 weeks in and followed this guide https://www.growweedeasy.com/general...ora-trio-guide

​​​​​​Any feedback is appreciated. My current plan is to try coco coir instead of soil so there's less guess work of when to start nutrients.
    Last edited by abracadaver216; 12-02-2020, 05:58 PM.

What is the PH?

Comment

It's around 6-6.5. I usually need to drop the ph a lil for plain water haven't had to when using nutrients.

Comment

i would say 3 possible problems, 1. the pot is too small, which leads to 2. possible nute burn. With autos, I start at 1/4 strength, and may never use full strength, and 3, could also be light burn. I have had bad luck on the 20/4 schedule. once my autos start to flower, i cut back to 18/6

Comment

Much thanks! I will give those all a shot. As far as nutrient strength goes I believe the GH guide on the site already has them at reduced amounts but I could be wrong.

Comment

Thats when most folks have problems growing in soil, if their ph is right ,is after flushing.
            Although I grow in soil, , I think you will like the coco much better, because flushing in coco is much easier on your plants, than flushing in soil. It's hell on plants, imo.
            Coco-Loco is a good brand to look into, but it still needs alot more perlite added to it, but it will hold your plants for a couple of weeks before you have to start feeding them.
            I used it a good bit, a really liked it, an I used Megacrop, a one part dry that's easy to use, cheap an works great with coco.
            HappyGrowing
            Cfls for a week or two
            315lec for everything else
            Dug up Ms.topsoil, with perlite added
            36x36x63 inch tent.
            6inch - exaust - intake fans an scrubber
            Smart pots
            Molasses
            Autoflowers

Comment

curling tips like that (upward) is usually a sign of heat stress from either the lights or the tent temp or both...How close are the plants to the light source? Also, when they are in mid to late stage bloom, the temp should be slightly lower to emulate "End of summer" conditions...in nature it starts to get cooler as we approach Autumn which emulates the cycle of the plant.
              Also make sure you are using the Drain to waste schedule for the GH trio and not the Hydroponics schedule.
              And finally are these Autos or regular fem photoperiod? at 8 weeks a photoperiod strain's light schedule should be 12/12 not 20/4.
              Last edited by dilvish; 12-08-2020, 01:30 PM.
              I hope there is an afterlife...there are a lot of friends and family I'd like to see again, one day.

Comment

Those are autos dilvish
                Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                indoor/outdoor grower
                1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Thanks all.

I keep the lights at 24" away during veg and 18" away during bloom. Temps are about mid to low 70s. I think adjusting the schedule to 18/6 was a good call.

Im definitely using the drain to waste schedule.

My plants that I started two weeks later seen to be much happier. The biggest difference being they are in a wider style of 2 gallon smart pot. PH looks to be good all around but the middle plants definitely got fried.

Another thing I've been starting to do is use more water for more run off when I water (entire 1 gal jug per plant)

My guess at this point is nutrient burn. 4 weeks may have been too early to start and it just went downhill from there.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X