Constricted Stem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Constricted Stem

Hi all, has anyone ever seen this growth problem with the stem growing in an hourglass shape and choking the plant (see pic). This has happened to me a couple times in a continuous fed NFT hydroponic setup and I'm trying to figure out how to prevent. The plant is about a month old and healthy otherwise. And thoughts are appreciated.

I think you got a contaminant in there. Have you ever stuck a pin in that see if anything oozes out?
    Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
    indoor/outdoor grower
    1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
    1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
    I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
    Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
    Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
    Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

I had a few stems blow up like that over the summer. I had boring worms in them.
      5x5 Gorilla tent
      Spectrum King SK402 - 2× Optic XL1
      Infinity T8 exhaust fan
      Technaflora nutes
      Nectar of the Gods soil

Comment

I have not stuck a pin in but will try tonight. I'm not sure if it is damping off of some sort, or a fungus. The blow up above is from growth but it's like the problem part was getting choked and couldn't expand. I believe there was some white crystals there when it was younger. Would a salt buildup cause this?

Comment

No but bore worms will.

Comment

Yikes! I've seen a plant dampen-off at the base, but never have seen anything like this. Good to know about the bore worms, never want to meet one though.

Comment

Ok, did the pin test and nothing. Nice a solid so no worms either. I'm thinking it's related to salt buildup that is evaporating at the base of the plant when they are young and creating a collar. I just inspected another and saw this forming. It is hard and I scraped it off with my fingernail and will see if that helps. Probably just an issue with continuous fed as you can see salt buildup on the clay pebbles as well.

Comment

Looking at those 2 pictures I think you may have a bigger issue. All the GREEN on your clay pebbles is that plant material or is it algae. In second picture it it looks like you have a feed line going into the basket and it is set way to high. You may want to check the reservoir and see if the roots are twisting (a sign of root rot) and if the solution is cloudy or has a green tint to it. I suggest lowering the feed line to near bottom of basket the surface of you medium is to wet. As for clearing up the algae if that is what that is I've never dealt with that maybe another member has that info. If you find it is algae Do A Reservoir change Now and be sure to add something along lines of HydroGaurd.

Comment

I'd say Poppa a is on to something there. My damping off happens when soil too wet & cool you made me wake up and go check my seedlings under the CFL. I lost 1 gorilla glue do to this a week ago. Thankfully she's up and looking ok so far but it's cool wet at stock and soil or ?? that causes fungus.
                  Smoke Ganja create Peace Respect Nature don't trash the Planet

Soil grower with coco/perlite mixed in
                  indoor/outdoor grower
                  1 36"x36"x66" tent- Viparspectra P2500
                  1 3x3x6 tent- used in late spring for seedlings both veggies & weed. I have 2 viparspectar 450r for that tent.
                  I use a t-5 & 54watt CFL for seedlings
                  Sometimes i use plastic sometimes i use fabric grow containers
                  Currently using fish/guano during veg growth & FF Grow Big 6-4-4 teens to bloom. Once i see pre-flower i switch to
                  Age Old Organics Bloom 5-10-5

Comment

Ok, I think you may be right with the damping off. I have been growing this way for many years but this is a new breed and I think it may be more sensitive to the high flow. The green on the clay pebbles is algae growing from the nutrient flow. The roots look fine (see pic) and the nutrients themselves are nice and clear. I will move the feeder lines to the bottom of the basket and see if that helps. Appreciate all the responses, very helpful so thanks for those. Sharing a fall picture as well from the flower room. 😁

Comment

• SoOrbudgal
                      SoOrbudgal commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Those roots look great Kevin77 sure hope you get a great harvest.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
                  X