What are these spots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are these spots

This is a clone from a WW plant, in a 1 gallon pot, growing in coco and currently 5.5 weeks into flower, plant is healthy besides this discoloration and crispy leaves at the top. I thought my humidity was too low so I set my dehumidifier from 35% back to 50%. Then I thought it was underwatered and began to water intermediately- that didn't fix it. Anyone seen this behavior before?
    Attached Files

Reads as a root issue, whats the PH?

Comment

id say nutrient burn and ph issues but could be many things. how are you feeding

Comment

I checked ph the other day the runoff was ph= 6.7, todY I will feed with ph set to 5.8-6.0. I usually just feed, I know all the literature says feed,water,feed,water. I just feel that in flowering the plants want to take as much nutrient as possible.

With that being said, I will start alternating between feeding and fresh water.

Comment

i find it better to feed with nutrients every watering with a little bit of run off. i find it easy to just do one ml nutrients to one liter water and i find its more impotent to look at the ph going in then the run off

Comment

Definitely a root issue, likely you are having swings in your Ph and/or EC. This is fairly common when growers let the soil get too dry in-between watering. As a medium, coco should always be kept wet and never allowed to dry out. It can also happen with a cold and water logged soil as well, but isn't as common with coco. That is fairly severe and likely will spread to other leaves and branches.

Comment

• Msizzle
              Msizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the insight, I have not been checking EC or PPM, I need to do a better job of it.

I don't know what you're feeding them. But I would not give them anymore nutes. Just water 'till harvest.

Comment

• Msizzle
              Msizzle commented
              Editing a comment
              Next Monday I'm on schedule to flush them so I realistically see one more feeding, probably 2 tbsp molasses with water and thats it. This is my first grow and so far it has gone well, my plants have not flowered as much as I'd like but its a process I guess

• ChadWestport
              ChadWestport commented
              Editing a comment
              Definitely is a process, some of your grows will be better than others. It's part of the practice. Congrats on getting your first grow through flower, thats a big accomplishment.

I have another issue with a grow I started a few weeks ago, I didn't harvest my 1st grow but I guess I would start my second. Today is day 53 for all 4, growingibg in coco and i transferred them from solo cups to 1 gal smart pots today.. I'm using general Hydroponics 3 part feeding schedule with cal-mag.

I initially thought nutrient burn but all the other seedlings were fine and they have the same schedule. I think half the plant died and the other half is still living, one side is green and the other side has a brown root. Was this seed a " twin" and one 1 survived? Reminds me of making eggs and cracking one open to find 2 yolks( double the fun) now should I wait a few weeks and cut the dead part off or just let her keep growing lopsided and train her once I get the chance?
            Attached Files

Comment

Were the new ones in solo cups for 53 days? When you transferred to the 1 gallon, were the roots pretty full and swirling around the inside wall of the cup? If that is the case, the roots would be a little upset and you constant to see odd, crunchy leaf issues like this.

They would seem very small for that age as well. Which could mean the light is a low intensity and / or the nutritional needs are not being met. Coco needs food from the start, where as soil usually has some amendments to get a plant through the first few weeks.
              Last edited by ChadWestport; 12-03-2020, 03:05 PM.

Comment

• Msizzle
                Msizzle commented
                Editing a comment
                Probably in solo cups for 40 days and I've kinda kept the temp on the lower side by design and reduced my spider farmer 1000 led to 20%. Once I harvest my other 4 plants I can focus on these 4 gals and upgrade them to the 600watt hps bulb. I bit off more than I can chew with 8 plants. In regards to how the roots looked when I transferred them, check these out, I didn't think it was too bad or near rootbound.

Not really root bound
              Attached Files

Comment

It's not normal for a plant of that age, to be that size and have a small root mass. I agree with you, they don't look root bound or bad at all in that aspect. I'm familiar with that light, you can likely bump it up to at least 40% ay 24" right now. The plants may be needing more light for growth. Hopefully with proper nutrition and light you will see a good growth spurt soon.

Comment

• Msizzle
                  Msizzle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would say from the time they sprouted to about day 28- I never gave any nutrients- just water and the temps were generally 62-66 so I didn't have crazy growth, I agree 100% they need more light and nutrients but I cant take care of 4 plants in various states of flowering >6 weeks flowering, and 4 small plants, and my full time job where I work 60+ hrs a week.

I started growing because I have an affinity for great ganja, its a lot of work but I have been getting more efficient and being on this forum gives me great tips and helps out immensely when I do have problems.

Whatever it is the roots are in needs fixed, with virtually no root growth you will not get upper growth.
                How do you test PH?

Comment

• Msizzle
                  Msizzle commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Simple ph meter bought off Amazon, pH in is approx 6.2, I have not been checking PH out.

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
              X