Thrip exterminating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thrip exterminating

Hello everyone, I’ve noticed and identified thrip larva on my clones, and have started treatment, but there seems to be some misunderstandings between myself and the hydroponic store employee’s I talk to (each one seems to have their own methods).

I have 7 clones in week 3 of flower, and I’ve done as they said, sprayed with “Bug-B-Gon” and was told to spray With “jake’s all-in-one” on the 3rd day and it should be solved, but the other employee says I have to wash my plants in between sprayed and do it every 2 days (IE: bug-b-gon/water/jake’s all in one, water, repeat) but if I’m in week 3 of flower, won’t this only cause mold/mildew issues? As it will always be wet and above 70%Rh in the 4x4 tent

I’d love to hear some feedback on how everyone applies/times their applications etc. What worked for you? I’m very nervous as I’m in week 3 of flower and trying to keep everything ok. Haven’t had to deal with thrips yet, let alone in the flower stage.

Do either of them contain Spinosad? That's what it took to get rid of mine this summer. That early in flower, I think you will get away with no mold issues. The thrips gotta go regardless. Get some sticky traps for the adults if you haven't done that yet.

I kept my thrips down with Lost Coast Plant Therapy for about three weeks then finished them off with one treatment of Capt. Jack's Dead Bug (Spinosad spray). I was able to knock them out before flowering, luckily.
    Coconut Grove
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
    4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
    32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
    Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

I don’t believe either does, the “bug-b-gon” is an insecticidal soap with canola oil, the other an all-in-one with NPK nutrients and canola oil as well.

I’ll look into a spinosad product like you mentioned, I read a lot of articles boosting it was one of the better treatments, though my local store ended up pointing me towards this particular direction this time.

Should I be washing my plants then in-between sprays, To minimize stress and chemical build up, and just keep the lights dimmed on those days I have the treatment sprays used? I’ve got quite a bit of white pistol hairs forming around bud sites, So I hesitate keeping Rh% above 60%.
      I set 2 dehumidifiers and extra fans to keep the environment decent just incase (usually sits around 55% with everything going)

I started laying sticky strips right aways incase of adults (haven’t noticed anything flying yet, just a few crawlers)

Comment

• grouchyoldman
        grouchyoldman commented
        Editing a comment
        Permethrin & Pyrethrin both work fast & effectively. on Thrips & Spider Mites.

Washing them 24 hours after using bug spray shouldn't hurt and will probably help knock survivors off (if any). The less it is done once the buds are fattening, the better though.
      Coconut Grove
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Liberty Haze, Acapulco Gold, Lavender and Sweet Amnesia Haze.

3x3 tent, Platinum P300 LED. Flowering two Tangies.

Flower tent:
      4x4 tent, Platinum LED P4-XML2, four Patio Pickers. Vegging Super Lemon Haze, Durban Poison and two Tangie x Blueberry crosses.

Nursery:
      32"x32" tent with Feit white LED. Vegging four Mother's Finest.

Coco/Perlite/worm castings/mycorrhizae living soil mix.
      Down-To-Earth dry amendments. Gnarly Barley added weekly. Eisenia fetida.

On deck: Winter indicas.

Comment

Thanks for the info! Gave them another spraying earlier with the ‘Jake’s All-in-One’, dimmed the lights down and set my dehumidifiers up with extra wind flow just in case.

I checked before spraying and I could only locate one small thrip larva on the problem plant and that’s it. So I’m hoping this treatment is the final knockout. Made sure to get underneath/on top of leaves, stems, topsoil, and shook off any excess. Will pair with diatomaceous earth on topsoil to help kill anything left in the soil. Hoping this all works!

Comment

Captn jack dead bug is what you need. I had a really bad infestation and it only took one treatment to knock them out. I did a second treatment just to make sure. Also bought the powder form to sprinkle on the soil. It has Spinosad which is what kills those damn thrips. My infestation was really bad like to the point that the hood of my light was covered in thrips that flew up there. It’s was disgusting but like I said captn jacks is the ticket. It’s said to be safe until harvest though I wouldn’t use anything in flower. You can find it at any local nursery. Also your local hydro shop is there mostly to make money and if they didn’t recommend anything with spinosad for thrips either they don’t know shit or they just played you for your money. Next time read the label and you can just make what ever is in the bottle yourself. Most of the tome it’s just some type of oil like 2% and the rest is water.

Comment

Check out our new growing community forum! (still in beta)

Subscribe to Weekly Newsletter!

Working...
          X